College tour road trip-restaurant suggestions

rlk

DIS Veteran
We are doing an agonizingly long road trip this spring break to look at schools for my youngest. We will be in Nashville for two nights and are looking for fun venues to eat as well as listen to music. We are also looking for suggestions for St. Louis and Chicago.

I remembered that we ate at Sam's Place in December. Just outside the main area of Nashville. It was also really good. It's got a sports bar/restaurant vibe. Seemed really popular with the locals.

Belle Meade Plantation is nearby and a neat place to tour if you need a diversion. We had our 17 year old daughter with us for both trips and she enjoyed it al, too.

Reactions: rlk

Puckett's on 5th and Church in Nashville was a favorite of mine on two different trips to Nashville. The food was delicious, the service was super friendly and fun and they have live music most nights.

We are also doing Chicago and Nashville on a college search this Spring Break! We did St. Louis the Monday of Thanksgiving Break. I have had three different people tell me to check out the 12 South neighborhood in Nashville.

While in Nashville, hot chicken should be on your bucket list. Everyone has their favorite places. Two popular places are Prince's and Pepperfire. There will be lines even before they open. Lower Broadway and 3rd Ave is ground zero for the Nashville honky tonk music scene, morning, day, and night. Right at that intersection is Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, Blake Shelton, and Kid Rocks restaurants with live music throughout the day.

In Chicago, we prefer Connie's over Giordano's for Chicago-style pizza. Not that Giordano's is bad, but we order from them every time we're in Florida so they just don't have that "only in Chicago" feel any more. There's a French bakery/bistro near the Loyola downtown campus called Le Pain Quotidien that we absolutely love for breakfasts when we're in the city, and Yolk near Navy Pier is awesome for a heavier, American-style breakfast.

I'd second the recommendation for Wild Horse Saloon in Nashville. It was the only "real" meal we made time for on our last visit, since we were only there for one night and it was during the summer so breakfast & lunch both came from the farmer's market, and it was a really fun time, even for my not-that-into-country kids.

Don't remember about food when we were there but the best hotel ever was the Gaylord Opryland Resort to stay at!

Chicago - Pequod's for best pizza and Au Cheval for best Burger

St Louis - Pappy's Smokehouse for best ribs

Thanks all, I appreciate all the suggestions.
I remembered that we ate at Sam's Place in December. Just outside the main area of Nashville. It was also really good. It's got a sports bar/restaurant vibe. Seemed really popular with the locals.

Belle Meade Plantation is nearby and a neat place to tour if you need a diversion. We had our 17 year old daughter with us for both trips and she enjoyed it al, too.

Belle Meade Plantation looks lovely and will put it on the list for a future trip for just my husband and me.

Puckett's on 5th and Church in Nashville was a favorite of mine on two different trips to Nashville. The food was delicious, the service was super friendly and fun and they have live music most nights.

I am adding Puckett's to my list to show the family.

We are also doing Chicago and Nashville on a college search this Spring Break! We did St. Louis the Monday of Thanksgiving Break. I have had three different people tell me to check out the 12 South neighborhood in Nashville.

We are knocking out four tours this Spring Break. A lot of driving.:car:

While in Nashville, hot chicken should be on your bucket list. Everyone has their favorite places. Two popular places are Prince's and Pepperfire. There will be lines even before they open. Lower Broadway and 3rd Ave is ground zero for the Nashville honky tonk music scene, morning, day, and night. Right at that intersection is Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, Blake Shelton, and Kid Rocks restaurants with live music throughout the day.

Will research Prince's and Pepperfire. We will definitely head to Lower Broadway and 3rd- just what we were looking for.

In Chicago, we prefer Connie's over Giordano's for Chicago-style pizza. Not that Giordano's is bad, but we order from them every time we're in Florida so they just don't have that "only in Chicago" feel any more. There's a French bakery/bistro near the Loyola downtown campus called Le Pain Quotidien that we absolutely love for breakfasts when we're in the city, and Yolk near Navy Pier is awesome for a heavier, American-style breakfast.

I'd second the recommendation for Wild Horse Saloon in Nashville. It was the only "real" meal we made time for on our last visit, since we were only there for one night and it was during the summer so breakfast & lunch both came from the farmer's market, and it was a really fun time, even for my not-that-into-country kids.

Looks like we will give Connie's a try, thanks. We do like Le Pain Quotidien and have a few where we live.
Wild Horse seems to be very popular. I showed it to my family and they said they want to try it as long as I don't make them line dance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter