College Program Questions Thread Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joanna71985

<marquee><font color=green>Characters are my frien
Hey everyone. I had a thought since the old thread was about 2 years old, maybe it was time to start a new thread. This is a place to ask and answer questions about the college program, and share your experiences.

I have done 2 1/2 CPs. Spring 2005 (merchandise), Fall Advantage 2006 (character attendant), and Summer 2007 (custodial/attendant).

Good idea on the new thread! I'll christen it with two new questions!

My first is: somewhere on the WDWCP site it suggested bringing a wireless router. Has anyone done this, and is it beneficial? (I know how routers work and all, I just am wondering if its really more beneficial than a long ethernet cord).

And my second question sortof ties into the first. Are there any restrictions on internet usage there as far as videogame platforms are concerned? I don't imagine I could go without bringing my Xbox 360 and I'd definitely want to be playing it online, but I don't know if they block its usage or anything of the sort. (At my school they restrict Xbox Live to weekends only).

Thanks!

I can't answer your second question because I don't know... but to answer your first-yes! Bring a router if you can, especially if you are in a 3- or 4-bedroom apartment. The room can get crowded if you are all utilizing the wall jacks, this includes the electrical outlets. Just for ease of mind, a router is a great idea.

I just went to an information session. It wasn't official, just a former CP'er who was very helpful. Anyway, the moment I got home I realized I forgot to ask about homesickness. This is my number one concern since I've never lived away from home. I'm commuting to college and moving about 1000 miles from home is going to be a doosy of a first step. Any problems that you had starting the program or any suggestions to avoid homesickness? Thanks very much! :bored:

My first bit of advice would be to stick it out even if you get homesick. Aside from living in a dorm about 20 minutes away from home (and only on days I had late classes), my CP was my first experience away from home. What you may find is that leaving is hard, but once you get there, it's not so bad. You immediately make friends the first day you're there at check-in, in your apartment, at the meetings, etc. It's actually liberating the first time you go to Wal-Mart and buy groceries! I found that I got homesick about a month after I was there. The novelty had worn off and long, odd work schedules were getting to me. Just remember you're not alone! Go home if you can, or ask friends and family to come visit. Once you get a dose of home and some encouragement, you'll be fine. The last couple months go by so quickly and were when I have my best memories from. Unfortunately, you'll find your self feeling Disney-sick when you return home... my friends and family were sick of hearing, "One time, at Disney..." or "Once when I was in Florida..."

Good luck... don't worry, you'll be fine--we all were!

^ so true!!
I was a freshman when i did my CP. I had never been away from home, and i relied on my parents for a lot of things. I was nervous about doing the program. I began to be homesick after the first month, and I was upset for the longest time. My friend that I went to college with actually broke down b/c we did everything together the first semester of college, and since i wasn't there, she was really upset. She decided to call me and tell me, which made me cry and really homesick. But the best thing was that I had made a lot of friends in Florida after a month, and they helped me through it. Plus, my mother and best friend came down during spring break, which was refreshing and i was super happy. I began to forget about everything at home and focused on the fun i had. Then, it was time to leave. :sad1:
Don't spend most of your time worrying or being homesick. Make many friends and make the most of your time. you will be home at the end of your program :)

Good idea on the new thread! I'll christen it with two new questions!

My first is: somewhere on the WDWCP site it suggested bringing a wireless router. Has anyone done this, and is it beneficial? (I know how routers work and all, I just am wondering if its really more beneficial than a long ethernet cord).

And my second question sortof ties into the first. Are there any restrictions on internet usage there as far as videogame platforms are concerned? I don't imagine I could go without bringing my Xbox 360 and I'd definitely want to be playing it online, but I don't know if they block its usage or anything of the sort. (At my school they restrict Xbox Live to weekends only).

Thanks!

Oh yes, definitely bring a router! It helps out so much. Sorry I can't answer your 2nd question. I have never brought down a video systerm.

I just went to an information session. It wasn't official, just a former CP'er who was very helpful. Anyway, the moment I got home I realized I forgot to ask about homesickness. This is my number one concern since I've never lived away from home. I'm commuting to college and moving about 1000 miles from home is going to be a doosy of a first step. Any problems that you had starting the program or any suggestions to avoid homesickness? Thanks very much! :bored:

I was definitely homesick my first CP. It was my freshman year, and I had never been away for so long (I live at home). I called home every day. I decided to stick it out, and I am so glad I did. I have now done 3 CPs, and hope to do a 4th this summer. If you feel homesick you can on here. We can try to help.

How reliable is resort transportation?

Is a car a must have?

Also...how are the workout rooms?

How reliable is resort transportation?

Is a car a must have?

Also...how are the workout rooms?

If you are able to, I would definitely bring a car. A car can be a lifesaver.

Also, I haven't really gone into the workout rooms all that much, but the one at Chatham looked nice. I plan on using it a lot more next summer.

So...is resort transportation reliable at all? Are there horror stories I should know about? haha

So...is resort transportation reliable at all? Are there horror stories I should know about? haha

Well, the CP buses are doable (I can tell you that, I have only used the buses on my CPs because I didn't bring my car down). But if there is anyway to bring a car I would (even though the buses are fine).

you cannot be late at all for a bus, or else some won't stop for you. and i had the problem at the very beginning with reading the schedules. the time on the schedule is the time that the buses leave, so get there well before that time. I was late to my first training class because of it:sad2:
As for using the buses for Walmart and Publix, that was a little more difficult. My roommate and I went to Publix, and found out that was the last bus route, so we were stranded there. We walked to Chatham and had to catch a bus to Vista. Walmart, you have to hit it on the hour, or else you are stuck waiting for the longest time.
You just have to plan accordingly, and plan well!

Thanks so much for all the great advice. On the subject of transportation, I live in Connecticut. Would it be worth it for me to bring my car, in everyone's opinion?

Hi there I'm new to the boards and I'm a student at the University of Cincinnati studying photography....and I had found out last week that I am going to be a professional intern for the entry technical photographer intern!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool1: its a beautiful life hahaha

anyways i was wondering where do they make the interns go when you first go down there? Is it right to traditions class or a small check in type of thing?

It would be awesome to see some feedback and help/tips any other advice when interning at the most amazing place on earth!

THANKSSSSS!!!

Thanks so much for all the great advice. On the subject of transportation, I live in Connecticut. Would it be worth it for me to bring my car, in everyone's opinion?

i think it would be worth it. When i was down there, there were times that i really wished i had my car. Little things like going home right away instead of waiting for the bus to arrive. It sucked getting to the bus stop and the is bus leaving. I'd have to wait for the next bus to arrive. Worst feeling in the world, after having a loooong day at work, or working a night shift. It would also be helpful going to Walmart or the mall...
From a girl who didn't have her car her first CP, I'd say bring it!

wow, that's a little far. haha!
One of my friends is from Cali and he brought his car. He is also a part-time cast member, originally a CP. I think it just depends on whether you want to bring it. If you think it may be too much of a hassel with possible car troubles or something like that, then I wouldn't bring it.
The buses are seriously not that bad. They get you where you need to go, on time... mostly. :laughing:

If you don't mind bringing it that far, then it's worth it. However, the buses are not that bad. They are definitely doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter