College Program Parents Thread...

Hi I think my castmember son started with those NB because he was told they had to be all black.
After 2 years he went with a really thick tread on bottom because you do not want to slip or slide or get hurt…
Surprisingly Wal Mart has a pretty good selection .
My son went to DIck‘s Sporting Goods and really likes these because they solid waterproof at edges with breathable upper fabric.
The print is dark grey

Adidas Terrex
View attachment 673678

Unfortunately the interns are probably not getting super fancy roles and will probably need a basic shoe and not a dress shoe …
Good luck I am excited for you and your son!
So he got a position at ABC commissary in HS. He’s had a great first week and called last night to tell us all the great things he’s seen and done so far. Right now he’s training and will be front of house at the QS. Apparently, ABC has a new menu and he said they got to taste everything on it and it’s really good. Happy for him because he mentioned several times yesterday about how happy he is.

One thing threw me off. He said he will be working 8 hour days, six days a week so I told him he should be getting overtime and he said they don’t. I feel like he’s confused. Isn’t anything over 40 eligible for OT? 🤷🏻‍♀️

He said costuming is great because you take what you need and walk through a scanner and it takes the inventory for you. Kind of like those Amazon grocery stores without registers.

He also was given a tour is the old backstage in HS that now has break rooms and offices. He said the vending machines are pretty nice and he gets all the soft drinks he wants at ABC as long as he drinks it backstage.

So far, so good I’d say!!

So he got a position at ABC commissary in HS. He’s had a great first week and called last night to tell us all the great things he’s seen and done so far. Right now he’s training and will be front of house at the QS. Apparently, ABC has a new menu and he said they got to taste everything on it and it’s really good. Happy for him because he mentioned several times yesterday about how happy he is.

One thing threw me off. He said he will be working 8 hour days, six days a week so I told him he should be getting overtime and he said they don’t. I feel like he’s confused. Isn’t anything over 40 eligible for OT? 🤷🏻‍♀️

He said costuming is great because you take what you need and walk through a scanner and it takes the inventory for you. Kind of like those Amazon grocery stores without registers.

He also was given a tour is the old backstage in HS that now has break rooms and offices. He said the vending machines are pretty nice and he gets all the soft drinks he wants at ABC as long as he drinks it backstage.

So far, so good I’d say!!
My daughter gets overtime every now and again, especially when she gets pulled to work quick service. In fact, she was able to volunteer to take quick service shifts in a place she doesn't even work for OT because they needed staff so badly. Those roles have been tough to fill for some reason. Maybe because there are just so many??

We were just watching a video yesterday about the new menu at ABC and talking about how good the food is there now!!

My daughter is currently in the college program at Disney World, and she is working five days a week (4 eleven hour days and one eight hour day, for a total of 52 hours/week). One of her roommates is working a six day, eight hours per day shift (48 hours/week). So, it appears that Disney is trying to maximize the hours the college students are working. I don't know the situation regarding overtime, but It doesn't seem fair if the students aren't receiving it..

I think their contract allows it.
CPs are the infirmary of workers. First to do the job Noone else's wants to do. Experience looks go on their resume but they are worked like a dog.

Much could have changed since re-starting, especially with Disney being so short staffed.

My DD did the program (2x) years ago.

My understanding was overtime for anything over 8 hours in one day. I don't think it applied to the weekly hours, especially since some were picking up extra shifts not being required to work extra shifts. She didn't know anyone who was scheduled over 8 hours a day, usually less. Not sure it would apply if you picked up some extra hours on the same day you worked at a different site. Again that would not be required hours that day.

It's an internship with virtually no benefits so not sure traditional rules apply.

My daughter just finished her CP - she was in the first wave back after covid. She was regularly scheduled 12 - 13 hour days, frequently back to back with no Overtime pay. The only rule that they have to abide by is they must have 8 hours off between shifts.

I will say that hours scheduled varied wildly between positions. It was very rare that she worked less than 60 hours a week (MK Attractions) and her friends would be trying to pick up shifts to even get to 40 (typically Merchandise)

I’ve had 2 kids do the DCP. They do get paid time and a half if they work more than 8 hours in one day or 40 hours in one week. Their week runs Sunday through Saturday.

My daughter is currently participating in the DCP.

The shoes: food service receive them from costuming, others must provide them (we were told you could buy them from costuming, maybe you could but can't anymore YMMV). She wears polishable shoes so it depends on the costume needs not "importance" of job. Socks have requirements too, basically not too long/high - there is a vending machine at her location for socks lol

OT: she gets overtime for every minute over 40 hours per work week

buses: seem more reliable than from posts from past years, (so far, knock on wood). She has her car too if things get crazy

Congrats to everyone who's got a child in the DCP, it is such a wonderful experience for them!

My understanding was overtime for anything over 8 hours in one day. I don't think it applied to the weekly hours,
I'm at Disney World right now, and yesterday I asked my daughter (whose college program ends in a couple of weeks) about overtime. She said:

- basic pay is $15/hour
- overtime is paid if more than 8 hours are worked in a day
- overtime is paid if more than 40 hours are worked in a week
- overtime is time and a half

When my daughter was here in the summer of 2018, she was paid $10/hour and roughly broke even after receiving her tax refund. This year, because of a higher salary and a bunch of overtime, she will leave with a couple of thousand dollars in her pocket, plus whatever her tax refund turns out to be. The downside is that, because of so many long workdays, she has been able to go into the parks only a couple of times a week on average, but she says that she still greatly enjoyed the program.

I'm at Disney World right now, and yesterday I asked my daughter (whose college program ends in a couple of weeks) about overtime. She said:

- basic pay is $15/hour
- overtime is paid if more than 8 hours are worked in a day
- overtime is paid if more than 40 hours are worked in a week
- overtime is time and a half

When my daughter was here in the summer of 2018, she was paid $10/hour and roughly broke even after receiving her tax refund. This year, because of a higher salary and a bunch of overtime, she will leave with a couple of thousand dollars in her pocket, plus whatever her tax refund turns out to be. The downside is that, because of so many long workdays, she has been able to go into the parks only a couple of times a week on average, but she says that she still greatly enjoyed the program.
Yes I said when my DD was there which was years ago, very glad that we have current information.

I still question though weekly overtime .... as many of her friends picked up others shifts often, which put them way above in hours. Will Disney pay overtime for shifts that they did not assign? Say Disney gave you the 40 hours but you picked up another 8,10,12 from someone else ... is that overtime or does it fall under a different category. Or perhaps Disney doesn't allow taking shifts anymore.

Note: My daughter made half that pay when she did the program, lived in crappy housing and while she didn't save any money because she stayed active on her days off (Seaworld and Universal AP) she was able to live on what they paid her. She went for the experience not the money. It is an internship with virtually no benefits other than what is now awesome housing. I still think it's a great opportunity for those willing to work.

It is an internship with virtually no benefits other than what is now awesome housing.
You are certainly right about the housing. In 2018, it was eight people per suite, with four people in each bedroom (bunk beds). This year, my daughter has three roommates, with each person having their own bedroom, and sharing a bathroom with one other person. My daughter said that because of the way their work shifts are, she rarely sees her "bathroom buddy", so for all intents and purposes she has a private bathroom.

Will Disney pay overtime for shifts that they did not assign?
I've been thinking about this for a couple of days (I have lots of time to think while standing in line for popular rides), and I've decided Disney would definitely NOT pay overtime for shifts they didn't assign. If they did, employees could easily abuse the overtime policy.

To make up a simple example, let's say two employees each have 5 eight hour shifts in a week, totalling 40 hours. If they had at least one day where one employee works and the other doesn't, they could trade shifts in such a way that one employee works 48 hours in a week (8 hours overtime) while the 2nd employee works 32 hours. The following week they could do the trade in reverse and the 2nd employee would get 8 hours of overtime.

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days (I have lots of time to think while standing in line for popular rides), and I've decided Disney would definitely NOT pay overtime for shifts they didn't assign. If they did, employees could easily abuse the overtime policy.

To make up a simple example, let's say two employees each have 5 eight hour shifts in a week, totalling 40 hours. If they had at least one day where one employee works and the other doesn't, they could trade shifts in such a way that one employee works 48 hours in a week (8 hours overtime) while the 2nd employee works 32 hours. The following week they could do the trade in reverse and the 2nd employee would get 8 hours of overtime.
They would be crazy if they did. I do know after DD did the program it was much hard to pick up shifts because apparently some were being penalized for giving up their shifts. It is an interesting dynamic as it is an internship, not full employment, yet often work fulltime hours. They likely could rip them off, glad if they are getting that daily OT.

Florida state law, which follows Federal Law mandates time and a half for all time over 40 Hrs/Wk. Disney can’t pick and choose, whether to pay it.

My son applied and has done some sort of automated interviews or tests and has a "zoom" style interview with a person this coming week. I was just curious if anyone knows the steps these days (what would come after the "in person zoom" interview? If he's accepted would he likely start in the summer or ?

I'm very excited he has applied! He grew up going to WDW for vacations and is aware the CP is tough work but he's really hoping he gets accepted. :)

My son applied and has done some sort of automated interviews or tests and has a "zoom" style interview with a person this coming week. I was just curious if anyone knows the steps these days (what would come after the "in person zoom" interview? If he's accepted would he likely start in the summer or ?

I'm very excited he has applied! He grew up going to WDW for vacations and is aware the CP is tough work but he's really hoping he gets accepted. :)
My DD was a Cp several years ago. After the zoon (for her it was a call) She got her offer within the week. However, this varies a lot. Have your son make notes to have during the interview (helped my DD remember some key things). Good luck!

My DD was a Cp several years ago. After the zoon (for her it was a call) She got her offer within the week. However, this varies a lot. Have your son make notes to have during the interview (helped my DD remember some key things). Good luck!
He had the interview and said it went well. He said they're looking for people for May - which makes sense as most people in college right now are committed to classes until May. He said he could pick a start time is what he was told. I guess now he just waits to find out. I was surprised how quickly it went from the time he first applied to when he got this interview - 10 days? Maybe he hit it at a good time as they are prepping for the summer and fall. Thanks for the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter