College Program Parents Thread...

...anyone who's DCP get free entry any day, any time. However, after a certain period of time is accumulated, they can get up to 4 guests into a park for 1 day for free....it's called 'maingating'.

Our son just accepted Attractions position for next Spring and he is beyond excited. After reading through posts made on this thread over the past 12 or so months here is what I have gathered regarding questions we currently have:

He shouldn't stress about roommate situation
Arrive at least a day before checkin
Don't bring too many clothes as he really won't need many
Apartments seem to be furnished with most everything a college kid would need
Some bring cars some don't but seems to work ok either way
Don't plan on seeing him much after checkin

Couple of questions I have at this point.... Our daughter is going down later next spring with her school marching band. What type of discount (if any) is offered to him for family member park tickets? Will he have enough service time (or whatever is required) in April to qualify for some type of family discount?

Any other basic info we need that I have not asked would be welcome so I don't have to scroll through 160 pages in this thread (and most may be outdated anyway).

Thank you!!!

Hi! Congratulations to your son on his acceptance! My daughter is there right now (on an International Exchange Program from Canada). Yes, tell your son not to bring many clothes. My daughter flew down by herself with one checked bag and one carry-on, (INCLUDING bedding) and has been just fine. I see other parents worrying about only having one car to bring their kid and their belongings, and wonder what on earth they are bringing with them! My daughter doesn't have her car but wishes she did BUT I see so many other kids struggle with traffic (making them late for their shifts), accidents and repairs that I am very happy that she doesn't have it.

As for discounts, after your son works 300 hours he will have earned 3 park-hopper passes, meaning either that 3 people can go one day, or one person can go 3 days, if that makes sense. He gets another 3 park hoppers after 600 hours I think. The most he can accumulate in a year is 9. Sometimes Disney will surprise cast members with some bonus guest tickets. They just did this after Dorian, so they are good until the end of September (which is excellent as I'm flying down there this Saturday for a week.

If you would like to email me I would be happy to share more! My email address is "brosma@xplornet.com"
Margie

Our son just accepted Attractions position for next Spring and he is beyond excited. After reading through posts made on this thread over the past 12 or so months here is what I have gathered regarding questions we currently have:

Couple of questions I have at this point.... Our daughter is going down later next spring with her school marching band. What type of discount (if any) is offered to him for family member park tickets? Will he have enough service time (or whatever is required) in April to qualify for some type of family discount?

Any other basic info we need that I have not asked would be welcome so I don't have to scroll through 160 pages in this thread (and most may be outdated anyway).

Thank you!!!

My dd was in the program 6 years ago. She extended and had to move apartment complex, had new roommates and a new position so she experienced it all close to two times :), if not much has changed,

don't stress about the roommate situation (very rarely you hear of complaints)

definitely arrive the day prior

Clothes, it depends on your child, but since it's also a son, don't over do it - as long as they keep up with their laundry, they should not have a problem

Apartments are furnished enough and have all their basic needs/check the wi-fi, this might have changed from 6 years ago

We drove my daughter down and went back to help her move again but she did not have a car/she did fine with transportation and if she went to Walmart or somewhere with a friend she met, she always gave a few dollars for gas

After check-in, getting her role, etc. (is it called Traditions/can't remember), we helped her move into the apartment and made a run to Walmart to stock up as much as we could. There is only so much you can buy that is perishable (sharing a refrigerator with other roommates) but we did buy lot's of non-perishable items and don't forget cough and cold items. I had to literally overnight my dd some because her free time was so limited when she got sick.

I had a joint checking account with my dd - I added a few $$ here and there when she needed (she was on an 8 month vacay)

There is a FB group if you want to keep in touch or get ideas/feedback/help from parents - it was pretty active when I was in it

Also, very, very important he follows their rules. They don't put up with anything. They always know where you are (on property).

Last edited:

They earn 3 one day hoppers after 150 hours worked, three more once they hit 300 hours worked, and then their last three for the year once they work a total of 600 hours. They can also purchase additional tickets, or even annual passes, at a discount of 10%. Their discounts for rooms, tickets, food, and merch will begin after they complete Traditions.

Thank you!!!
My daughter has been accepted for Spring 2020 in attractions also. Congratulations!!! I know our kids will bring a lot of Magic to the guests.

Oh boy... my daughter has been accepted to the DCP Spring 2020 in QSFB. Let the fun (and future trips) begin! Look forward to reading through some of these posts. I'm sure I'll gain some helpful information.

Oh boy... my daughter has been accepted to the DCP Spring 2020 in QSFB. Let the fun (and future trips) begin! Look forward to reading through some of these posts. I'm sure I'll gain some helpful information.
Congratulations! My daughter will be there in Attractions.

Not sure if I can ask here, but I have not idea where else to ask. (Please move this if there is a better place to ask.) My daughter is in college about 40 miles from WDW. She has accepted a position with a huge national defence contractor about 10 miles east of WDW for when she graduates this coming May . She interned there this summer, but her "teammates" there are all much older. We are starting to research nice areas to live where she won't be stuck in major traffic on her commute. Rent is very high and safety is a huge concern. Is there a group for Disney college kids living in non-Disney owned properties or recent grads who are relocating to the area? Any suggestions for where we can find resources? She would like to find a roommate. She will also need to find out about taxes, insurance, vehicle registration, utilities, etc. She has been going to WDW since she was tiny and will have an AP.

TIA for any help and suggestions!

Last edited:
My Daughter just committed to the spring college program. She's so excited. I'm happy for her and appreciate all the valuable information I've gleaned so far from this forum. Thank you all.

Best part of our son getting accepted to DCP... it was a perfect excuse for DW and I to buy APs so we can go visit him many times this spring and beyond (well, as many as time and distance will allow).

My daughter got accepted for this spring. I'm trying to understand what the attraction is since all I see it's cheap labor for Disney. I can't believe they took money from her already with all the money that Disney has. I don't see any safety measures in place for them either. I thought they have buses for them but then they said no.

My daughter got accepted for this spring. I'm trying to understand what the attraction is since all I see it's cheap labor for Disney. I can't believe they took money from her already with all the money that Disney has. I don't see any safety measures in place for them either. I thought they have buses for them but then they said no.
My dd will be down there this Spring as well. The appeal is getting to live and work for Disney, which will be an experience in itself, and it also looks really good on a resume, no matter what field of study these kids choose to pursue.

I am guessing the main reason Disney takes money from the kids at acceptance is to lock them in. If they didn't take the money, which will go towards paying their first week's expenses, then you may have lots of kids accepting but maybe not be fully committed. Disney has to have a count of how many they actually have coming down to work so they know how many other staff they need. That is totally understandable.

For the kids who choose to live 'on site' in the Disney ran housing, which isn't actually on site, there is busing. It sounds like a bit of a pain to use but it is available and my dd will be using it, like a lot of other kids.

If the CP lives in Vista, Commons, Patterson or Chatham Disney housing, the apartment complexes are gated communities with 24 security guard at gate. EVERYONE has to sign in, and there are rules in place for visitors and curfews. It's an internship, not a college campus. Not sure what other "safety measures" you are looking for? Buses are available for housing residents in Florida, but not California. They take the cast members to work locations, and shopping.

Instead of looking at it as "cheap Labor", the truth is "Disney" on a resume opens more doors and opportunities that you could ever imagine. That's why the program is so competitive.

.....They can also purchase additional tickets, or even annual passes, at a discount of 10%. Their discounts for rooms, tickets, food, and merch will begin after they complete Traditions.
...although park tickets have only a 10% discount (so CMs don't go reselling/scalping them), the resort/restaurant discounts be be really phenomenal! We will be staying at the Poly for Christmas - my DS got DVC studios for us with a 60% discount!

I did the CP in 2004. and returned in 2005. I never once felt as if I wasn't safe - either in the parks or in the apartment complexes.

My daughter did the DCP a couple of years ago. Stayed in one of the Disney-owned housing complexes. She used her car to get back and forth to her role at Splash Mountain. She was recently accepted to PA school and feels that her job experience at WDW helped her resume'. We never for a moment worried about her safety while there.

This year my son is headed down for DCP this spring. He is a business major with an emphasis on tourism and hospitality, so it will be a bit more career-specific for him. Who knows, it may turn into a job track with Disney itself. As far as I know, he also plans to live in the Disney apartments and use his car to get around.

Having said all that, the benefit for Disney in this is indeed cheap labor. I've heard tales of some DCP folks not earning as much as it costs them for rent in the Disney apartments. That hasn't been my family's experience but I've heard stories

....first of all, the 'campuses' are gated - literally. The entrances have sentries; no one is allowed in without proper ID. Also, there ARE buses that travel to various locations. I believe they are buses A thru H (?). They are more like shuttle buses - not like the Mickey buses that guests use.

My DD was just accepted for Fall Advantage. She plans on bringing her car. If we help her move in is there a way for us to get back to our hotel (Pop Century) without her dropping us off? Can Uber/Lyft come into the housing area?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!