College Program Parents Thread...

Discussion in 'The College Board' started by ro80, Apr 22, 2008.

1. SMD

SMD Registered

Parents who don't email the admissions office of their adult children's universities also love their children. You're not letting her become an adult if you involve yourself in her college or job search process to the point of doing research for her or acting as in intermediary with the university or employer. Plus, having your mom contact people for you is a giant red flag.

Pinkflmngo likes this.
  2. lenshanem

lenshanem <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

Let it go. I'm going to. You're extremely rude. You don't even know who I contacted or what I asked. This is a parents thread for information, not a thread intended to be judgmental of someone's parenting skills. This thread is 151 pages long, have no other parents asked questions? Bye.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

While I'm not a huge proponent of parents contacting admissions offices (colleges think of our kids as adults and treats them as such, so don't want to talk to us!!), I can understand a parent wanting to be sure they have the correct info. Perhaps with a bit of parental guidance, there won't be anything to 'clean up' down the road! All college age kids should know what their finances are, but few automatically have that knowledge.

Shan, your dd will have two shots at applying for entry after graduation. She could apply in Jan...that's what my dd did. If she hadn't gotten in then, she could have applied in Aug, for the spring program. As long as you graduated six months or less prior to applying, you're good to go.
    The whole financial aid issue is hard to deal with. Your dd could do a program, but not extend. My dd started on Sept 6 and her program ended on Jan 5, but she extended to May 12, since she had graduated. Have your dd check with the financial aid office at school. See what they say she needs to do in order to be considered a student, so her loans don't come due.

5. lenshanem

Thank you! She will be taking care of these things once she gets back to school. As far as who I emailed... I wasn't clear that I emailed someone I personally know - a distant cousin! My goodness! I just didn't think I was gonna be jumped on regarding that comment. No wonder I left the boards years ago. But yes, I want to make sure everything is understood before she applies. Congrats to your daughter on graduating and doing the program. I hope she had a blast.

6. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

Thanks Shan....she is over at US now...and loving it. I'm hoping she gets back to Disney at some point, but her program soured her a bit. Hopefully she can get past that.
    And that whole calling someone at college? Yeah, we did that. Dd did everything right when needing to go back for winter intersession. She was cast in a show that was rehearsing before school opened for the next semester. She emailed all the right people but when it came time to move in, nothing was in her file!!! Seriously? I saw the emails she sent, and the responses she got....whoever was in charge of assigning rooms dropped the ball, and left her holding the bag. So, we called the nephew of a business associate of dh's. He was the second in charge for housing. Thank heaven for him....dd and her friend were able to move in on time!! But, it wasn't fun!!! So, yeah, sometimes parents have to step up and do what needs to be done. It's what you do.

7. lenshanem

Yikes! Glad you got that all worked out. I bet that was stressful. As for US, she's still in Orlando. Close enough to Mickey for you! LOL