College Program Parents Thread...

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself, but I'm curious about something. How do those who live far away/will be taking a plane deal with getting all of their stuff down to Orlando? And what about all the apartment stuff that obviously needs to be purchased once there--what do you do with it after the program? I'm watching videos of TVs, pots, toasters, white boards, closet storage organizers, and I can't imagine spending the money to ship them back and forth. I know it's a silly thing to think about it seems overwhelmingly expensive and wasteful for a few months. But I understand they need to split the cost of these apartment-type expenses or personal use expenses.
It all depends on the child! We flew down on Southwest, so each of us got two free checked bags. Dh and I each used one bag, which left dd to pack four bags!!!! She packed personal items, and clothes. When we got there, we headed to Target and dropped a ton of money on 'stuff', but that also included a ton of non-perishable foods and paper products!!! Once they get there, the kids can decide who is going to provide what. We bought a cheap toaster for dd, and a few baking pans (which were never used!!). We brought hanging closet things (for shoes and folded clothes). We didn't buy anything expensive. Sheets from home, but bought a comforter and pillow there. One kid will bring a tv. When they leave, they can always sell their used stuff to other CPs.
The apts come with dishes, flatware, glasses, pots/pans, some bowls. I imagine some kids probably don't buy very much extra.

Getting her stuff there is one of the reasons we want to drive-plus she wants her car there. That may change as her car is quite old and DH isn't really comfortable with her having an old car so far away. His sister just got gifted a car from stepmom, so she is getting rid of her 2007 Tuscon (trying to get us to pay blue book value when trade in value is far far less! but that is a rant for another thread) and we may buy that for her-depends on price. We had a full car going to college with all her dorm stuff, but she won't need all the heavy clothes etc in Florida. If we end up not bringing a car then we will fly down and take full advantage of 2 bags each LOL!

Getting her stuff there is one of the reasons we want to drive-plus she wants her car there. That may change as her car is quite old and DH isn't really comfortable with her having an old car so far away. His sister just got gifted a car from stepmom, so she is getting rid of her 2007 Tuscon (trying to get us to pay blue book value when trade in value is far far less! but that is a rant for another thread) and we may buy that for her-depends on price. We had a full car going to college with all her dorm stuff, but she won't need all the heavy clothes etc in Florida. If we end up not bringing a car then we will fly down and take full advantage of 2 bags each LOL!
We are in NJ and I'm not comfortable driving that far. DD has her license, but does not drive. And, unfortunately, we cannot afford to buy her a car at this time. So she'll be bussing it to work, which worries me but she'll have to deal with it. That is, of course, if she gets accepted. LOL As I said, I know I'm putting the cart before the horse but as many Disers will understand, I'm a planner. :) I also intended, if she gets chosen, on trying to make a vacation out of bringing her down, which will limit the baggage allowance. I'll just have to rent a car and buy whatever she needs that we can't fit in her car. I was hoping there would be some kind of CP sale page where you could purchase items, or sell items, between semesters for incoming/outgoing CPs.

New to the college parent board. DD is soph at Penn State. She wants to apply for Spring 2018 DCP. Can anyone tell me the application period opens? Also what is difference between the "regular" and the "Advantage" programs. Is there a Spring Advantage program?

I will try to read all 146 pages of this thread, but in the interim, any immediate advice or information would be most appreciated. THANK YOU!!

New to the college parent board. DD is soph at Penn State. She wants to apply for Spring 2018 DCP. Can anyone tell me the application period opens? Also what is difference between the "regular" and the "Advantage" programs. Is there a Spring Advantage program?

I will try to read all 146 pages of this thread, but in the interim, any immediate advice or information would be most appreciated. THANK YOU!!
The Spring applications tend to open in August. Spring Advantage is longer...starts in Jan I believe. Regular spring program starts later..maybe in May.

The "advantage " program includes the summer season. So Spring advantage is Spring semester and Summer. Fall Advantage is Summer and Fall Semester.

Hey everyone, my DD was accepted into the 2017 Fall DCP earlier this week! Her arrival date is Aug. 7th and she will also be working in QSFB. It's weird, on her PI they spoke exclusively about her top 3 roles and she thought for sure she would be placed in Merch, but she is super excited to be working there. Makes me wonder how useful that part of the PI actually is because that role wasn't discussed at all?
Anyway, she just turned 22 & will be graduating college in early May. We live in NJ & she goes to school in PA. Even though she has been living mainly away from home the past 4 years, I don't feel comfortable with her driving to FL all by herself. Soooooo, the family is going to Disney!! We've never gone 2 years in a row before!
She has friends & even a cousin down there now doing the program, but I look forward to chatting with all of you about the process and planning!
I just booked our rooms only (so far) for POR - first time there! I am an uber-planner, so to me this is last minute.

Hey everyone, my DD was accepted into the 2017 Fall DCP earlier this week! Her arrival date is Aug. 7th and she will also be working in QSFB. It's weird, on her PI they spoke exclusively about her top 3 roles and she thought for sure she would be placed in Merch, but she is super excited to be working there. Makes me wonder how useful that part of the PI actually is because that role wasn't discussed at all?
Anyway, she just turned 22 & will be graduating college in early May. We live in NJ & she goes to school in PA. Even though she has been living mainly away from home the past 4 years, I don't feel comfortable with her driving to FL all by herself. Soooooo, the family is going to Disney!! We've never gone 2 years in a row before!
She has friends & even a cousin down there now doing the program, but I look forward to chatting with all of you about the process and planning!
I just booked our rooms only (so far) for POR - first time there! I am an uber-planner, so to me this is last minute.

The person who interviews them is not the one who makes their final decision about their acceptance and role-they only make the recommendation. A lot of role placement is dependent on need as well. QSFB takes a lot of CPs, and it's really half and half as to which ones are willing to do QSFB as opposed to other role options.

The person who interviews them is not the one who makes their final decision about their acceptance and role-they only make the recommendation. A lot of role placement is dependent on need as well. QSFB takes a lot of CPs, and it's really half and half as to which ones are willing to do QSFB as opposed to other role options.

I'm not complaining at all. (I know it's hard to tell tone in messages) I believe she selected about 8 roles & QSFB was actually her 4th choice, so she's good. She's a bartender & although she knows won't be doing that, she's hoping to work a cart or something rather than behind the grill at a food court. She just thought it was weird, the woman who did her PI was very cut and dry, it only lasted about 25 minutes & they never even discussed QSFB! When she got her email that was the only choice, so of course she took it. One of her BFF's from home also got in & will be doing the same.

I see congratulations are in order to you as well! :cheer2: What role will you be doing there?

Spring is January to late May and Spring Advantage is January to early August.
Thanks for the clarification....I was pretty sure I had it boggled somehow.

On another note....any one here have any experience with moving from DCP into permanent work for Disney? Dd has been there since Sept, and her extension is up in early May. She isn't applying to extend again, but will be applying for permanent work (of any kind!!). She is currently in attractions. I know she can start applying at the end of this month. But...any thoughts on how often kids get offered jobs after the DCP ends? Just kind of curious.

On another note....any one here have any experience with moving from DCP into permanent work for Disney? Dd has been there since Sept, and her extension is up in early May. She isn't applying to extend again, but will be applying for permanent work (of any kind!!). She is currently in attractions. I know she can start applying at the end of this month. But...any thoughts on how often kids get offered jobs after the DCP ends? Just kind of curious.
My cousin is down there now for her 2nd & last DCP. I have been speaking with her dad who says she knows Disney had drastically cut down full timers & most people she knows have gone from DCP to only part time. She actually just had an interview at Universal, apparently they love hiring from the Mouse!
She also ends in May, the 11th I believe. She did not live in Disney housing this time around so she doesn't have to worry about finding a place to live, just paying for it!

My cousin is down there now for her 2nd & last DCP. I have been speaking with her dad who says she knows Disney had drastically cut down full timers & most people she knows have gone from DCP to only part time. She actually just had an interview at Universal, apparently they love hiring from the Mouse!
She also ends in May, the 11th I believe. She did not live in Disney housing this time around so she doesn't have to worry about finding a place to live, just paying for it!
Yep, that's our understanding as well. She shares an apt with her boyfriend (who has yet to get a job, but we won't go there!) and a girl friend. I know she wants to stay with Disney but will be okay with US/IoA. Sadly, that will mean getting an AP for WDW though!!!!

:sad2:
QSFB/Custodial/attractions make up the largest portion of the College Program. It used to be anyone who put even the slightest interest in custodial got put in custodial.
It is true that if you really don't want a role it's best to put zero interest as they can place you in any role you show any interest in and they havea need.
My DDs have always been offered something that caught them off guard. One DD has been an assistant mgr at a large specialty clothing store. She thought for sure they would place her in merchandise. Nope! LOL

I'm not complaining at all. (I know it's hard to tell tone in messages) I believe she selected about 8 roles & QSFB was actually her 4th choice, so she's good. She's a bartender & although she knows won't be doing that, she's hoping to work a cart or something rather than behind the grill at a food court. She just thought it was weird, the woman who did her PI was very cut and dry, it only lasted about 25 minutes & they never even discussed QSFB! When she got her email that was the only choice, so of course she took it. One of her BFF's from home also got in & will be doing the same.

I see congratulations are in order to you as well! :cheer2: What role will you be doing there?

There are many jobs within QSFB...cleaning/restocking the condiment bars, refilling supplies whether it's food or whatever, wiping down tables, emptying trash cans in dining rooms, greeting/directing guests esp at busy times, filling the orders and handing orders over to guests, taking orders/cashiering, working grills/fryers, the carts.... They can get multiple jobs in one shift (similar to how those working attractions get moved around within the attraction) or they can get one job for an entire shift.
Most of the kids we know who worked "movable" food carts weren't as happy with the assignment a little later. During the warm months, there is no a/c at all and it requires quick mental math which in the heat can get to them fast when you have a long line.

From what we have witnessed (with multiple programs) is that very very few CPs (even ones with impeccable work records!) are offered full time. They are more likely to be offered P/T. And the bad part to that is the P/T CMs used to count on getting extra hours from the shifts that the CPs wanted to give away but can't anymore. :sad2:

Thank you! I will be working in Merchandise...which ironically, is the only role my interviewer and I discussed. But it was my top role, so it all worked out in the end.

Hello,
My daughter was accepted earlier this week for a custodial role. We live in Washington state, so we have a long journey to WDW! It's a dream come true for her and we're excited. I've read through posts and I'm curious where the best place to stay (off property) for check in day. We are DVC members but I want to save points for the whole family to go and visit. I'm still working that out in my head... I think sh has decided on an August 21st check in date. Thanks!

My dd has accepted her position in QSFB for the fall program and will be arriving 8/21. She is very excited. She wanted lifeguard but was given QSFB. We are planning a trip for Jersey week. I think she joined a FB page where the CP's congregate, She is talking to a few about rooming together. Exciting days around here....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter