Coffee - Keurig vs Coffee Ninja look to go cheaper

nicolet

On the Fantasy in November!
Ok we have a Keurig. Son just started drinking coffee. We go through 2 100 pod boxes from Sam's Club a month. I usually buy the cheapest coffee from them. So that's about $65.00/month.

I'm thinking about ditching the Keurig and going with a Coffee Ninja that can brew one cup at a time or make a whole pot. I have a coffee grinder already so I would probably by whole beans again.

So have you ditched the Keurig? Do you miss it? Was it cost effective?

I switched from the Keurig to the Ninja a few years ago and couldn't be happier! Love that I'm not using the pods anymore. I feel that the coffee is so much better too. I grind up a few days worth and put it in one of those glass vacuum storage jars and have yummy fresh coffee every morning. I love to buy beans from my local coffee shops and have discovered some really good ones!

I had a couple stay with us for a month and they loved the Ninja too and were switching!

Here is a link to the jars. You can get bigger or smaller depending on how much you wanted to grind at a time. They come in different colors or sizes. I tried the cheaper plastic ones and didn't like them nearly as well. https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Airles...rds=evak+fresh+airless+storage+canister&psc=1

That's an average of 6+ cups a day. I would for sure switch. That's crazy. I switched TO the Keurig because i was brewing a 4 cup pot a day and reheating for a day or two. I sometimes drink 2 cups a day (always in the summer, kids man). So for me a single brewer still makes sense. But if my kids were older and drinking, or if my husband drank more than just one cup on the weekends, I would definitely switch too!

I have the Ninja Coffee Bar and I love it! I usually just make one or two cups of coffee a day and it's nice that I don't have to wash a carafe and I can make it right into the cup. And I like that I can make a full pot when I have people over or even iced coffee when the weather gets warmer. I can't speak to cost savings as I just went from a standard coffee pot to this, but I do really enjoy using it!

I made the switch from a Keurig to the Ninja coffee bar 6 weeks ago and have not regretted it for a single moment. My Keurig served me well for almost 7 years before crapping out and I really went back and forth on which way to go but a killer deal on the Ninja made my decision for me. It doesn't take that much longer to brew my travel mug of coffee every morning and I love having the flexibility of brewing a half or full pot on the weekends when I am home to drink more coffee. Like a previous comment said, I too feel it brews a much better cup of coffee than my Keurig did, especially toward the end

We had a Keurig and switched to a Ninja because a family member recommended it. I miss my Keurig. We used the refillable K cups, and I think we got a better cup of coffee while using less coffee with the Keurig. A half carafe is too much for the two of us for breakfast, so we either throw out a half cup or more every time or we make two individual cups; either way, we use much more coffee. I cannot tell you how many times one of us has made a single cup and not returned the setting to half carafe and the next person to use it didn’t notice and brewed the wrong size. Also, ours requires cleaning at least once a month. We use it three or four days a week. Cleaning necessitates being around for an hour, which I find to be annoying.

The Ninja just doesn’t fit our coffee-drinking style.

We use both so don't just ditch the Keurig. The Ninja Coffee Bar is the main coffee pot. Use it M-F and make a 1/2 pot so DH & I both fill our to-go mugs. If I have people over and we want coffee I use Ninja. On the weekends when we just have one cup each I do the Keurig as we could each get our own type we like and try different varieties. Sure it's easy to do the single cup in the Ninja but I just like the convenience with Keurig if sometime I want a cup of something different where our regular coffee is just Folgers Gourmet Supreme.

And this is what happens when I read the DIS in the morning with my husband!!! We just bought a refurbished Ninja Coffee maker w/thermal carafe on Amazon for $59.99! I don't drink coffee, but DH and DS do. I'm at the point where I need to buy more pods. We didn't want to spend a lot on this coffee maker in case he didn't like it, but for $60, we'll give it a shot.

:thanks:

We have the Hamilton Beach duo maker. It has a pot on one side and the Kcup thing on the other. I don't drink coffee, but my DH hated Kcups and Keurigs. But he loves this one. He mostly uses the filter on the Kcup side, but it is different than the Keurig filters. Don't ask me the specifics, but he did not like the Keurig specific filter that someone posted earlier. I think the one we have looks more like what I am seeing for the Ninja coffee system. He insists that the filter makes a way better single cup. The coffee pot side has just a regular filter but he says it is also makes better coffee than his old Mr Coffee pot we had.

I grind my own beans and do pour over (Melitta) . It sits on top of your cup, put filter in (or get one with a reusable filter), coffee, pour water in, and voila, an excellent cup of coffee. No unnecessary waste like the kcups, ad other than heating the water, no energy cost. The Melitta cost under $5. My kids both did this at college, and not only saved money, but had better coffee. Many other students ended up going that route, and they'd even have "parties" where they'd all bring different varieties of coffee, and share. There are also larger pour over devices that are usually glass that make more cups at a time (Chemex, Bodum, etc. just got one at Target on clearance for $6!)
I also use a french press (Bodum etc). Grind coarsely, put in press, add boiling water, let sit a few minutes, press plunger and again, excellent coffee. I have an insulated metal press that makes 4+ cups.

I ditched my Keurig a year - maybe two years - ago. Whenever the reports about them being a haven for roaches came out. Ugh.

Anyway, I like the Ninja - I LOVE the flexibility to make a half pot and usually I just make that, turn the warmer off (well, turn the whole unit off) and then pop a cup at a time into the microwave to warm up. I am not a picky coffee person - I just need caffeine STAT. I also love that it has a mesh filter so now extra filter waste.

When I had my Keurig I got these cups via Amazon Subscribe & Save: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YDVXS8/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also had a reusable K cup with filters - both a paper one and a mesh one - to try to reduce waste.

However, my absolute favorite way to brew coffee is pour over single serve using one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JNZ7VNW/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For years I had a cheapo plastic one from Bed, Bath, and Beyond for about $7. That is now at my dad's house (he's a tea drinker but sometimes I need a cup of joe while visiting). I bought the ceramic version as a replacement last year. Pour over got super trendy recently but it is a fantastic cup of coffee and very low waste.

We had a Keurig (and before that we had a Tassimo) and ditched it for the Coffee Ninja and haven't looked back! My only complaint is that we 'upgraded' to the stainless steel carafe and I wish we hadn't bothered because it doesn't keep the coffee (if you're making a pot) hot for very long. We had a cuisinart grind and brew and that carafe kept the coffee hot for 4+ hours! Only replaced that because the grinder eventually stopped working (we did buy a separate grinder that we use to this day). But I love the flexibility of the ninja, one cup at a time, half a pot, full pot, even making 'fancy' coffee house drinks! WITHOUT buying espresso ground coffee.

I have and use a Keurig with the reusable cups, I don't remember the last time I bought any pods for it. I use either preground coffee from Walmart, like the New England Coffee. Sometimes I get Coffees of Hawaii whole bean coffee. I have a burr grinder that I use with this coffee. The key to saving money and the environment with the Keurig is not using the premade pods. Each person in the house could have their own reusable cup and their own stash of coffee for the cup. Once my Keurig bites the dust I may look at other types of coffee makers but for right now I don't mess with the system that works.

We have switched to an aeropress. Its very low tech - and not expensive. We use a tea kettle all the time - so that is out on the counter anyway, and then the aeropress takes up almost no room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter