Clothing for May 21st Alaska cruise?

wide awake

<font color=darkgreen>Nuts are good<br><font color
How cold will it be? Do we need to bother w/ jackets and sweatshirts? I've pretty much decided jeans will be fine for excursions and we have dinner clothes. Is there some type of cover so the pools and hot tubs can be used? I lived in Alaska as a very young child but we were way north of where the Wonder will be and I don't remember much anyway. I want to avoid taking a bunch of stuff we don't need, but I absolutely HATE being cold so have to take that into consideration. TIA.

How cold will it be? Do we need to bother w/ jackets and sweatshirts? I've pretty much decided jeans will be fine for excursions and we have dinner clothes. Is there some type of cover so the pools and hot tubs can be used? I lived in Alaska as a very young child but we were way north of where the Wonder will be and I don't remember much anyway. I want to avoid taking a bunch of stuff we don't need, but I absolutely HATE being cold so have to take that into consideration. TIA.

The weather in Alaska is quite variable. Since May is during the "shoulder season" I would say it's quite likely it will be cold, especially in the evening, and while the ship is moving. On deck, even on a Carribean cruise, it can be windy and cool while the ship is in motion.

The best idea is to be able to layer your clothes. Removing layers when it's not so cold or adding them when it is.

The Disney Wonder pool/hot tub area is not covered.

:cutie:

We wore several layers including winter coats on the 7/26 cruise so I would definitely pack them in May. It did get a bit warm in Vancouver pre-cruise and we had clear skies most days on the ship, but it was not short weather. We even used the blankets they had out on deck 4 when we were whale watching when cruising along. The breeze was quite chilly then on deck. The pools are heated, but not covered. The kids didn't let that stop them but I was right there with towels when they were ready to get out.

We went May 17th, 2011 - you mght get clothing ideas by observing what people wore under various circumstances / conditions....... We are from Great Lakes area, and no stranger to cold....

Click here for pictures

Thank-you for the pictures, I know what I'll be packing now. The scenery was beautiful, I'm starting to get excited about this trip.

Don't buy a bunch a stuff you won't wear again.

We went in May and had a fleece vest, Columbia rain coat and zip up sweatshirts for layers. We wore jeans everyday as well. I find you can usually make what you have work with buying very little. I live in Florida so what little I bought can be used here. Fleece vest are rather nice for a chilly evening here and I did not own a rain coat and that is nice to have. Hoodies are handy no matter where you live.

One thing I did do that was the best thing I did was waterproofed my sneakers! It only really rainined for part of our tracy arm day and our half day in vancouver but I had nice dry feet the whole time :)

We were on the May 17-24 cruise last year.

On the ship, think of it like a hotel. Jeans, light-weight top, whatever you would normally wear inside somewhere. But, then someone says, "Whales!" And you run outside, but it's chilly. Put sweatshirt. Go back inside for bingo, sweatshirt off. Then you decide to go up on deck for an extended time. The ship is moving and it's chilly with the breeze from the motion. If we were on deck for a while, sweatshirt and scarf or just warmer jacket.

On Tracy Arm day, we were outside on the deck all day. It was chilly. Warm winter jacket.

In port, it was a sweatshirt over long sleeved tshirt. However, when we did the dog sled excusion, winter jacket because once those dogs started running, and we were being pulled, wind affect = cold.

Train excursion: inside the train, long sleeved tshirt, maybe sweatshirt. When out on the platform with the train moving, jacket.

On and the jacuzzi was very nice. When getting out of the jacuzzi, very cold! They had blankets on deck on every chair.

Bottom line: Inside, dress like any hotel, but remember if you want to go outside, it's chilly because the ship is moving. At ports, lightweight jacket, but if moving fast, heavy jacket because of the cold air.

We were VERY lucky. We had no rain all week.

Hope this helps,
Dreams

We layered with lighter stuff in the ports as well so you might be fine with what you have, just wear more of it at one time than you normally would at home. In Skagway it was a bit dreary and chilly. I wore a long sleeved top, turtleneck sweater, hoodie, sweatshirt with a rain jacket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!