Hi everyone, It's been quite awhile since I've posted in the DVC forums but my husband and I are dealing with a situation here and wanted to reach out for your thoughts. We started a small resale purchase 6 months ago and agreed to wait until the sellers wanted to close, which was today, November 2, 2018. We assumed they had an October vacation booked that they wanted to clear. We made a large deposit in April and two weeks ago, sent our final payment and thought we were good to go. My husband checked in with the closing company earlier this week and we were told all was well, but up to that point, we had had literally NO communication from this company whatsoever, which I thought was really odd. We hadn't heard from anyone. Not the reseller, not the closing company. No one. We've been around the block a few times so didn't need any handholding but I still thought it was weird that we were the ones doing all the communicating. I kept saying.. something seems off about this, but all companies involved are reputable and well known (including here) so I just put aside my concerns and assumed everyone was busy. At 3:30 today, we had had enough. My husband called the closing company and was told that one agent was out on vacation and the other one was not in the office today. Still no explanation whatsoever and no communication from the closing company - not even to let us know they wouldn't be closing on our contract today. We then get on the phone with the reseller and were told that the guy we usually deal with is also not in the office today. Today is his day off. I'm baffled by it all, frankly. It seems incredibly unprofessional and after buying two very small contracts from Disney with nothing but the red carpet rolled out, we will likely only go that route going forward. As far as we can see, there is nothing that covers what happens to us if the parties involved don't do their job. It covers the sellers, it covers the resellers and the closing company... but I don't see anything that covers us, in the event that we do not close on the contract as specified, by this date. At this point, we really feel like pulling out. Is that even an option? We can call Disney in the morning and simply add on with them. It's disappointing at best, and downright maddening at worst. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I'd really appreciate your thoughts. We still have no idea when we actually will close. I imagine the sellers are even more peeved. They are waiting on the funds from this transaction.