(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS INFORMATION THREAD ~11/13 - 6/14~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please take us off of the log. Due to the pool closure, we voted as a family to switch to the YC. We will stay at the WL next time. Thanks to all who put such hard work into this thread and we look forward to visiting the lodge on our next trip :thumbsup2

I agree. I booked CR, which is still more money but not as bad as what's availalbe at GF. Is CR not an option for you? I know that you are looking into it (Facebook).

Ah you've figured out who I am? LOL....no it is, I just don't know if I like it. There seems to be no theming and people complain about it. I guess people complain about everything though. I hate to say it, but when it comes to the more expensive hotels, it seems like the whiners come out it full force.

But that's certainly not us. We just want a nice hotel not overrun with construction.

But with everything else I have going on (med school), this is the one thing I was looking forward to so the fact that it's been screwed up is causing me more stress.

Ah you've figured out who I am? LOL....no it is, I just don't know if I like it. There seems to be no theming and people complain about it. I guess people complain about everything though. I hate to say it, but when it comes to the more expensive hotels, it seems like the whiners come out it full force.

But that's certainly not us. We just want a nice hotel not overrun with construction.

But with everything else I have going on (med school), this is the one thing I was looking forward to so the fact that it's been screwed up is causing me more stress.

We actually love CR - but I do know the Contemporary theming is not for everyone. I like the "clean look" of contemporary style. :) You are right, there will be people who complain about every resort, but CR/BLT has served us well! Good luck!

I really enjoyed the contemporary when we stayed there last year! It was a tad on the noisy side but the bay lake view is beautiful and relaxing:) We were directly over Chef Mickeys though so maybe a room further away wouldn't be as noisy.

We actually love CR - but I do know the Contemporary theming is not for everyone. I like the "clean look" of contemporary style. :) You are right, there will be people who complain about every resort, but CR/BLT has served us well! Good luck!

Can you tell me some of the good things about it? We would be doing a garden wing room. Not sure if you were aware of this but my husband is blind so being in close proximity to things is an issue. I was told the wing is only a 5 min walk to the main building.

I'm not thrilled about it, but just because it's more money, the theme doesn't appeal to me, and my kids were set on the Lodge. But what do people complain about? I actually posted on the CR thread and had someone list a lot of advantages...can walk to and from MK (which means can grab a bus to ADRs at other resorts, rather than have to pay for a cab), Contempo Cafe is supposed to be a good QS, monorail through resort is very convenient. A bay view in the tower is still cheaper than anything at the GF.

I agree re: the stress. So much time and planning went into this, and now I have to re-think a few things.

I really enjoyed the contemporary when we stayed there last year! It was a tad on the noisy side but the bay lake view is beautiful and relaxing:) We were directly over Chef Mickeys though so maybe a room further away wouldn't be as noisy.

Thanks for your feedback..I am still looking into it. I just don't want to make a mistake.

How high a floor should I request to avoid this? I'm a VERY light sleeper--even use earplugs every night at home.

Thanks!!!

Can you tell me some of the good things about it? We would be doing a garden wing room. Not sure if you were aware of this but my husband is blind so being in close proximity to things is an issue. I was told the wing is only a 5 min walk to the main building.

I really enjoyed my stays at the Contemporary and I think I liked my stay in the Garden Wing better than in the tower. I was able to park my car right outside my room in a lot around the back of the tower. My room was right above the pool with a great view of the pool and the lake. I like not having to walk through a lobby dripping from the pool. Walking into the tower to get food was quicker than when I had to wait for an elevator when I was in my tower room. If it took more than 2 minutes for me to walk from my room in the Garden wing to the main building then I must have had an anchor tied to me. I would go back to the Contemporary over the Grand Floridian or the Wilderness Lodge personally.

We have not stayed in a garden wing room, but I know they are identical to a main tower room with the exception of no balcony (first floor has a patio). The things we like about CR/BLT:

1. Theming, but you already know that. :)
2. LOVE being right on the monorail loop (we schedule a lot of our ADRs around the monorail resorts and enjoy shopping at GF) (Also while in WDW we spend the most time at MK & EPCOT, easily accessed from CR)
3. Easy walk to MK
4. Contempo Café - we love how you walk up and order your food on a touch screen TV. Doesn't feel rushed and you can look at all your options. We also really like the food options - we like the chicken alfredo....yummo. :thumbsup2
4. We love the space in the rooms and having the couch for some additional seating
5. Lake view rooms, gorgeous view of Bay Lake especially during the early morning hours...ahhhh. :)
6. We really enjoy the pools
7. The boat access to WL/FtW (additional ADR options)
8. The CR stores offer just about everything
9. The ability to rent watercraft for the day on Bay Lake
10. My son is a pressed penny collector, and thinks CR has the best options of all the resorts. :) LOL

Hopefully this was helpful - I know some of our likes are based on personal preference/interest. I hope you find a solution that works great for your and your DH. God bless! :)

I really enjoyed my stays at the Contemporary and I think I liked my stay in the Garden Wing better than in the tower. I was able to park my car right outside my room in a lot around the back of the tower. My room was right above the pool with a great view of the pool and the lake. I like not having to walk through a lobby dripping from the pool. Walking into the tower to get food was quicker than when I had to wait for an elevator when I was in my tower room. If it took more than 2 minutes for me to walk from my room in the Garden wing to the main building then I must have had an anchor tied to me. I would go back to the Contemporary over the Grand Floridian or the Wilderness Lodge personally.

That is helpful...and I know you would not lead me the wrong way :) I will look into it a little more later. My husband is fine with the walk - I'm the one worried he is going to get lost.

Mamabear - I remember seeing the list. I will have to go look again.

Tikiman - we still want to head to Poly for our next trip (2015) but I know it's too early to know about the construction. :(

How high a floor should I request to avoid this? I'm a VERY light sleeper--even use earplugs every night at home. Thanks!!!

I think you just need to request the opposite side of the building...WDWKOOK should be able to help with this one. I learned a ton about the CR over on that thread before we went last year. If your a light sleeper then the garden wing would probably be a better fit and would be cheaper, plus the laundromat is over there(which is a plus!) I loved being at a monorail resort since we spent most of our time at MK anyways...it's the only thing I think I might miss being at WL, but looking forward to the boat rides is helping with that:)

I went through the transportation information on the first page (which always reminds me what a WONDERFUL JOB Kook has done in setting up this page!!) and I just want to confirm how I am translating the info:

If we are at AK and hop on the WL bus, will it stop at BB first? We want to hit the Winter Summerland mini golf there one afternoon when we leave AK and I am hoping this is an easy way to do it.

Thank you! :)

I think you just need to request the opposite side of the building...WDWKOOK should be able to help with this one. I learned a ton about the CR over on that thread before we went last year. If your a light sleeper then the garden wing would probably be a better fit and would be cheaper, plus the laundromat is over there(which is a plus!) I loved being at a monorail resort since we spent most of our time at MK anyways...it's the only thing I think I might miss being at WL, but looking forward to the boat rides is helping with that:)

I think the boat ride is quick and beautiful. My kids were looking forward to that but definitely want a pool more.

That is helpful...and I know you would not lead me the wrong way :) I will look into it a little more later. My husband is fine with the walk - I'm the one worried he is going to get lost.

Tikiman - we still want to head to Poly for our next trip (2015) but I know it's too early to know about the construction. :(

Poly was my first choice but the construction made me book WL. Then pool closure. So come to the CR with me in Nov and while we are there we can plan our return trip to the Poly!!:cool1:

Nothing confusing about walking around the Contemporary. Straight shot from garden wing to the main building and the pool is right next to the rooms. I had a huge Deluxe room that was cheaper than the standard room at the Polynesian. Food options were nice at the Contemporary but I was also able to get on the monorail to eat at the Polynesian. My only negatives from the Contemporary were getting back from Epcot took much longer than I was use to staying at the Polynesian and the pool bar was sort of a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter