Cliff Diving

Discussion in 'Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa' started by JenJenJen, May 20, 2018.

1. JenJenJen

JenJenJen Earning My Ears

I have a dare devil of a daughter. She's wondering if there's somewhere she can try cliff diving during our stay at Aulani. Obviously not at the resort, but somewhere nearby the resort? We will be there through a Make A Wish Grant her sister received who does travel in a wheelchair. Any suggestions where to go?

Thanks.

2. corgi_monster

corgi_monster DIS Veteran

I would really discourage you from allowing her to do this. This is not something you just wake up and decide to do. Real cliff divers train and learn how to read the conditions. For example, at one famous rock, you can only jump when the water is surging towards the beach. If it’s receding, you could break your neck.

Jumping off the wall at Waikiki Beach is a pretty safe, yet thrilling plunge.

happymommy and southerngirl528 like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Amw1064

Amw1064 DIS Veteran

My daughter did it in Maui but I did see a lot of people jumping off the wall/pier in Waikiki as mentioned by corgi_monster.

southerngirl528 likes this.
  5. cgattis

cgattis DIS Veteran

Very good advice. As I pointed out to my DD16 and DS14 who wanted to try this at Waimea Bay...what do you think is at the base of that big rock? More rocks.....

southerngirl528 likes this.
  6. PetePanMan

PetePanMan DIS Veteran

My sons (late teens / early twenties) and I have jumped off rock at Waimea Bay (North Shore) a number of times. It was great fun. There are risks which can vary based on time of year and ocean conditions.

7. DrakesTravels

DrakesTravels Earning My Ears

I'm new to the group but did the Waimea Bay rock jumping. It's a lot of fun and can be dangerous and done by a lot of folks. My 10 year old did it and is a great swimmer. Don't try it in the winter when the waves are huge along with the currents. The ocean is rather flat in summer seasons. You have to be a good swimmer after jumping to get into shore and the waves can pound you into the rocks or beach. Also don't try anything crazy jumps like flips or dives. Just jump and enjoy it. There are various heights up to approximately 30 feet. I have a youtube (2:30 mark for jumping) from "The Rock". A lot of fun and easy but be careful. Also Parking can be very difficult and space is limited and they will ticket for illegal parking. Highly recommend Waimea beach park for cliff diving aka rock jumping.