Claustrophobia on Disney Vacation

Heightshero

Earning My Ears
Please let me know if this isn't the correct forum, but I have awful anxiety (diagnosed, "treated" - as much as it can be, haha), and part of that is crippling claustrophobia, to the point of severe panic attacks. Obviously, I know the big ones, like Mission Space.

I had a decently sized panic attack last year in Rise of the Resistance. The tunnels on the way in, and then ther room before the ride where you are a "prisoner" combined with that little bus/shuttle thing kinda set me off.

I don't do elevators, but we typically book a DVC spot like Saratoga or OKW and request a lower floor, where this isn't an issue. Any tips of things to avoid would be really helpful. I am good on stuff like Haunted Mansion (minus the stretching room that I can ask to skip this time). The strapping in on things, makes me uneasy too (Rock N' Roller Coaster with the over the shoulder straps). Soarin' is such a great ride, but makes me uneasy.

Sorry for rambling, but any tips would be great - as I like to be prepared and also don't want to ruin any magic for my 6 and 2 year during the vacation next month!

Hi - my husband also gets panic attacks from feeling claustrophobic, among other reasons. Adding to the list above, Guardians was a real challenge for him, both in the pre-show and the ride itself. Smugglers is probably a no at this point as well. Also for as amazing as it was I don’t think he will ever do Star Cruiser again.

There are a lot of other rides he can’t do anymore, but most are on the list.

He also struggles being in someone else’s car, especially in the dark, so if that’s a concern for you you may want to think about transportation.

Hi - my husband also gets panic attacks from feeling claustrophobic, among other reasons. Adding to the list above, Guardians was a real challenge for him, both in the pre-show and the ride itself. Smugglers is probably a no at this point as well. Also for as amazing as it was I don’t think he will ever do Star Cruiser again.

There are a lot of other rides he can’t do anymore, but most are on the list.

He also struggles being in someone else’s car, especially in the dark, so if that’s a concern for you you may want to think about transportation.
Thanks! We're driving down from NJ and will typically drive to the parks each day. This is really helpful. I've had that feeling about the star cruiser. I love star wars but have a real hard time with all the stuff at Hollywood Studios Star Wars related. I'm going to just try to enjoy the scenery and let my wife go on certain rides with the other kid!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter