Classis or New Ships

Princess Bette

DIS Veteran
...which do your kids prefer? We are hoping to book another cruise while onboard in March. We first sailed on the Wonder when our son was 6 and then the Dream when he was 7. He loved them both. He will be 10 or 11 for the cruise in question.

My DH and I loved both of them, but are looking to change itineraries, as our upcoming cruise will be third time we have sailed to the Bahama's. And I would like to do a 7 night. If we choose the Magic or Wonder after sailing the Dream, I wonder if he will be disappointed. We would like to try the Fantasy as well. Anyone have any relatable experiences to share? TIA

Hi! We are getting ready for our 8th Disney cruise. We've done the Dream once and the rest were on the classic ships. My family, including my kids (ages 17 and 14), prefers the classics. We loved the Dream and thought it was beautiful, but we like the smaller ships. I'm not saying we'd never do the Dream again or try the Fantasy, but for us, smaller is better. :goodvibes

Our upcoming cruise was going to be a 3 night on the Dream again because we were looking for a cruise for spring break for 44 people, but once we discovered the Wonder was sailing out of Miami, it was a no brainer because we could do a 5 night for the cost of the 3 night on the Dream. So, the older ships could be less expensive as well although this may not always be the case.

Good luck deciding. No matter which ship you choose, it will be amazing. It's Disney, and you really can't go wrong no matter what you decide.:)

Susan

I just polled my kids. 4 cruises each on the classic ships and 2 cruises on the Dream. It was unanimous the new ships beat the older one.

They both think the aqua duck is the greatest.

Quagmire said:
I've been on all 4 ships. I'm grateful to be on any Disney cruise so as long as I'm on one of their ships I'm happy. :)

I totally agree with this and know my kids would too. Any Disney cruise makes us happy. My kids liked the Aqua Duck but did have to wait in long lines. We were on one of the first sailings of the Dream, so maybe that isn't quite as bad now. Plus, they are almost 18 and 15, so their idea of fun may be different than younger kids. My son is happy playing basketball with anyone that will play, and my daughter does a little bit of everything. The Aqua Duck definitely isn't a deal breaker for them. However, I did think it was pretty cool!

Susan

We've done just one cruise so far and it was on the Wonder and my children loved it. They also love the commercials they see of the Aquaduck and the Mid-Ship Detective Agency...however they are slightly horrified at the idea of a ship even bigger than the Wonder. They thought the Wonder was HUGE and can't imagine being on a bigger ship. So, for now, we are happy to stay on the classic ships. Fine with me!

I love the Wonder and Magic and if it were just me, I would probably go for one of those. But my kids LOVED the Fantasy, primarily for the Aqua Duck, Aqua Lab, Nemo's Reef and the Midship Detective Agency, so I have to say that would probably be better in your situation. I've never been on the Dream, and I'm starting to doubt I ever will because I just hate the idea of such a short cruise, but never say never....

I love the Wonder and Magic and if it were just me, I would probably go for one of those. But my kids LOVED the Fantasy, primarily for the Aqua Duck, Aqua Lab, Nemo's Reef and the Midship Detective Agency, so I have to say that would probably be better in your situation. I've never been on the Dream, and I'm starting to doubt I ever will because I just hate the idea of such a short cruise, but never say never....[/QUOTE]

Back when the Wonder sailed short cruises we figured we'd never sail on her, but times change. We've since been on the Wonder Westbound Panama Canal cruise, then the spring Hawaiian cruise -- 15 days each. We're hoping the Dream will eventually sail on longer cruises as well.

This would truly be a "dream" come true. Although, from what I have seen here on the Disboards, I don't think the Dream can go through the PC. Maybe to Europe??

Back when the Wonder sailed short cruises we figured we'd never sail on her, but times change. We've since been on the Wonder Westbound Panama Canal cruise, then the spring Hawaiian cruise -- 15 days each. We're hoping the Dream will eventually sail on longer cruises as well.
[/QUOTE]

We've been on 16 Disney cruises with our sons, now 15 and 11. We have gone on the Dream 4 night sailings three times, the Eastern Magic twice, the Western Magic twice, the Baltic on the Magic, the Med on the Magic and the Wonder 7 times. We all enjoyed the Dream, especially the Aquaduck, midship detective, lay out of Cabanas and the staterooms. We all prefer being on the classic ships because we enjoy the smaller ship size (smaller crowds too), their evening shows and pirate night. We are happy to be on any Disney ship, but given the choice we'd rather be on the Magic or Wonder.

GatorMomInNC said:
This would truly be a "dream" come true. Although, from what I have seen here on the Disboards, I don't think the Dream can go through the PC. Maybe to Europe??
[/QUOTE]

Dream class is too big for PC cruises, but, the PC isn't the only way to make it to the West. Maybe someday, Disney will do a cruise that comes down the Eastern side if South America, and up the Western Side. Now that, would be a "Dream" cruise. :)

Dream class is too big for PC cruises, but, the PC isn't the only way to make it to the West. Maybe someday, Disney will do a cruise that comes down the Eastern side if South America, and up the Western Side. Now that, would be a "Dream" cruise. :)[/QUOTE]

The new canal locks that are due to open in a year or so are big enough to handle the Dream class. I doubt with the unpredictability of the south Atlantic you'll see any cruise ship going around the horn. Even the US carriers avoid the area like the plauge.

I love the Wonder and Magic and if it were just me, I would probably go for one of those. But my kids LOVED the Fantasy, primarily for the Aqua Duck, Aqua Lab, Nemo's Reef and the Midship Detective Agency, so I have to say that would probably be better in your situation. I've never been on the Dream, and I'm starting to doubt I ever will because I just hate the idea of such a short cruise, but never say never....

I have to agree with you. The short cruises are just to short. I only did the back to back and now that its done I doubt that I ever do it again.

Dream class is too big for PC cruises, but, the PC isn't the only way to make it to the West. Maybe someday, Disney will do a cruise that comes down the Eastern side if South America, and up the Western Side. Now that, would be a "Dream" cruise. :)

The new canal locks that are due to open in a year or so are big enough to handle the Dream class. I doubt with the unpredictability of the south Atlantic you'll see any cruise ship going around the horn. Even the US carriers avoid the area like the plauge.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention it doesn't seem like they have enough interest in west coast cruises to fill a bigger ship, so there is no reason for them to do any sort of repositioning cruise of the Dream (or Fantasy) over to the west coast.

I just polled my kids. 4 cruises each on the classic ships and 2 cruises on the Dream. It was unanimous the new ships beat the older one.

They both think the aqua duck is the greatest.

That's how I thought the kids would vote! I know my DH and I don't care as long as we are on DCL! Thanks for polling the kiddos! :thumbsup2

My son wants to try the Aqua Lab on the Fantasy. He loved the Aqua Duck and the MSDA also. I'm afraid he would really miss them on the Wonder and Magic given his age. Thanks for your input! :thumbsup2

We will never go back to the classics after sailing the Fantasy. No comparison.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

...which do your kids prefer? We are hoping to book another cruise while onboard in March. We first sailed on the Wonder when our son was 6 and then the Dream when he was 7. He loved them both. He will be 10 or 11 for the cruise in question.

My DH and I loved both of them, but are looking to change itineraries, as our upcoming cruise will be third time we have sailed to the Bahama's. And I would like to do a 7 night. If we choose the Magic or Wonder after sailing the Dream, I wonder if he will be disappointed. We would like to try the Fantasy as well. Anyone have any relatable experiences to share? TIA

We've sailed the Dream, Fantasy & Magic. My 8 year-old son ranks the ships:

1 - Fantasy
2 - Dream
3 - Magic

He liked all three ships, but picked the Dream-class ships primarily because of the Aqua Duck (Dream & Fantasy) & Aqua Lab (Fantasy only)

My 12-year-old daughter was a little less commital. She likes all 3 ships and actually said she liked Edge on the Magic more than on the Dream or Fantasy. She raves about the Aqua Duck as well. She wasn't all that impressed with the Aqua Lab though.

Either way, all of the ships are great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter