CHRISTMAS VACATION (The Trip, Not the Movie): 12/19 - We're back, TR link on p. 25

Oh my, I've been a veeeeeeery bad PTR writer. I can't believe I haven't been over here in like two weeks! There is so much going on, so much still to do, it's just exhausting :faint:

Compulsive planner, don't stress it! It will all come together. WooHoo for inside 30 days!:cool1: and extra cash, and anything else i might be behind on :)

I'm trying very very hard not to stress about it. I'm sure it'll all be fine and work out in the end, it's just hard to not get a little crazed about it!

We take the layer approach to clothing at WDW in cooler weather. On my February 2009 trip all I had for the day was whatever I left the room with in the morning! On trips like those REI is your friend! They have plenty of backpacking gear including packable jackets, convertible pants, gloves, hats, etc. that are very lightweight but are also good to whatever temperature it gets down to on a typical WDW December evening.

On nicer days I stash the jacket and pants legs in a locker (along with the tripod) to be reclaimed as evening sets in. If it gets *really* cold we will pay $$$ for a Disney hoodie. Yeah, I don't worry about fashion (I'm a guy, what's fashion?) but for a 14 hour day when I am carrying 8 lb of camera gear I sure want to be comfortable! The people at REI always think we are going on some far-off expedition with all that we buy! I tell them we are going to a most hostile environment: heat, cold, wind, rain, snow (fake), angry natives... Walt Disney World!!! ;)

Thanks for the advice, boB. I agree that comfort is key when walking around WDW. I checked the forecast and it seems like weather isn't going to be too bad (as of right now), but I know that can change in the next 10 days. I'll pack a bit of everything and hope for the best---no way do I want to spend $$$ on a Disney sweatshirt if I don't have to!

Yay for 30 days!! I have 13! I am feeling a bit more calm now because I took a step back and reorganized and got everything straight! I too made a nice little trip to Target. I hit up the travel size section...gotta love it! And, I bought 2 of the Christmas shirts there! They had some cute ones!!

Oh my gosh you must already be gone (or going) by now! I'm so sorry I missed the official send-off (or at least I think I did) but thank you so much for following my PTR and I hope you have a fantastic trip---can't wait to read all about it when you return! :santa:

OMG--22 days?!? Time speeds up when you have bunches and bunches to do.

Ugh, yes it most definitely does. I went from posting that I had 30 days left to posting that I have like 12 days left.

Must......not......think.......about......it. Will........freak.......out. :rolleyes1

It's update time, everyone!

First, I apologize to all of you for being so MIA recently. With Thanksgiving, Christmas rapidly approaching and being super busy at work---it's been a very stressful few weeks.

First, we are down to 13 days until our trip. :scared1: Saying that we are under two weeks feels so weird considering we started this countdown at eleven months!

Second, I have been making some semi-serious trip progress. Last weekend, DH and I did all of the fall yard work. We pulled weeds, raked and cut the grass one last time in preparation for our trip and the upcoming winter season.

Then came Thanksgiving. It was a reasonably fun day, went to my Mom's house for brunch and my in-laws' house for dinner. On Black Friday I was able to check another goal off of my list and that goal was to accomplish as much of my Christmas shopping as possible. I didn't buy everything I needed, but I got a lot bought and spent way too much money. Now comes the task of picking up all of the last odds and ends and wrapping all of it, but I think I may save that for when we return from vacation.

Next was our Christmas tree. We usually get it the first or second weekend in December, but since we will be gone we decided to get it this week. It's currently up and decorated in our living room---we just have to put on the finishing touches. We'll have to take it down Christmas weekend since it will have been up almost a month, but putting it up this weekend is allowing us to really enjoy it before we leave for WDW.

In terms of trip planning, there isn't too much going on since everything is basically planned. Our ADRs are finalized (I can't stand to even look at them one more time), our parks are planned for each day and our events such as Cirque du Soleil and Behind the Seeds are comfirmed. Now, it's on to packing!

In three days, I'll be able to do my online check in at BWV. I'm hoping that they assign us a room that we can stay in for our entire trip, rather than switching from a standard view studio to another standard view studio after only one night---but we'll see. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

I still have some stuff I need to buy for the trip such as:

- Toiletries
- Christmas shirt from Target for MVMCP
- Sweatshirt
- Converse sneakers (maybe)
- A few more memory cards, just to be safe
- A new pair of jeans since all of mine are a bit ratty
- Ziploc baggies

That's all I can come up with right now, which actually seems not so bad.

Well---that's my update for now. I'm sure I'll have more in the way of updates later this week after I check in online, etc.

Thanks for reading and I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend!

You didn't miss me....I leave on Wednesday evening!!! So, in three days!!! Anyway, you are moving along quite well!!! Very good! I have tooooo much left to do and have got to weed out what can wait vs. what must be done! Anyway, if I don't get to come on here again before you leave, have a fabulous trip!

I still have some stuff I need to buy for the trip such as:

- A few more memory cards, just to be safe
- Ziploc baggies

Forget all the other stuff... ^^^this is all you really need ;)

Wow, only 13 days left, huh? I'm excited for you guys!

Forget all the other stuff... ^^^this is all you really need ;)

Wow, only 13 days left, huh? I'm excited for you guys!

Oh how I wish I could live my that philosophy, but if I did, I fear I would be in WDW with a dry camera and empty memory card, but sans pants and trust me, that would be no good for all parties involved. :rotfl2:

I'm excited for us---sort of, I've still got that feeling though. You may not know that feeling depending on whether you are an obsessive trip planner or not, but it's the feeling that all of this planning and stressing is going to be for nothing and something will totally ruin your trip.

Those feelings will be gone as soon as we arrive at Boardwalk Villas though, I'm sure. :santa:

13 days to go! Ratty jeans will do but we really needed to order more SDHC cards! B&H had a decent sale on Sandisk Extreme III (our standard cards) so we ordered a few 4 GB cards, that (plus the 64 GB we already have) should get us through a 4 day trip. ;)

Ok, I won't bring the ratty jeans (just the North Face convertibles), since we might get to meet Ann! ;)

I know the feeling as we have 13 days left too!

What's weird is doing this at Christmas time....we are scrambling to do all our holiday stuff in the two weekends we have instead of the usual 4...it makes it hard to get too psyched up about the trip or to feel like it is really just about here.

We did all the decorating this weekend...and have all the cards ready to mail...next, need to get my shopping started so I can get it done in the next 12 days. (Except for the Disney shopping, I plan on some purchases at the parks!)

Still hoping to see you there.

SkierPete

Oh how I wish I could live my that philosophy, but if I did, I fear I would be in WDW with a dry camera and empty memory card, but sans pants and trust me, that would be no good for all parties involved. :rotfl2:

I'm excited for us---sort of, I've still got that feeling though. You may not know that feeling depending on whether you are an obsessive trip planner or not, but it's the feeling that all of this planning and stressing is going to be for nothing and something will totally ruin your trip.

Those feelings will be gone as soon as we arrive at Boardwalk Villas though, I'm sure. :santa:

I've kinda got that feeling also. I've been planning this trip for the last 18 months what if something goes wrong. Hopefully the last min. jitters will pass soon!!

Stephanie

13 days to go! Ratty jeans will do but we really needed to order more SDHC cards! B&H had a decent sale on Sandisk Extreme III (our standard cards) so we ordered a few 4 GB cards, that (plus the 64 GB we already have) should get us through a 4 day trip. ;)

Ok, I won't bring the ratty jeans (just the North Face convertibles), since we might get to meet Ann! ;)

I've got 38GB of SD cards and another 8GB on order that I hope will get here before the trip (although I picked Amazon's Super Save Super Slow Shipping. Right now they're coming from Arizona all the way to New Jersey via Postal Service and are scheduled to arrive on December 10th. Here's hoping! :rolleyes1

It's not like I think I'll need so much memory, I'd probably be good with less than the 38 I have---just like to have extra in case of a photo emergency!

I know the feeling as we have 13 days left too!

What's weird is doing this at Christmas time....we are scrambling to do all our holiday stuff in the two weekends we have instead of the usual 4...it makes it hard to get too psyched up about the trip or to feel like it is really just about here.

We did all the decorating this weekend...and have all the cards ready to mail...next, need to get my shopping started so I can get it done in the next 12 days. (Except for the Disney shopping, I plan on some purchases at the parks!)

Still hoping to see you there.

SkierPete

CRAP! Christmas cards! I totally forgot about doing Christmas cards before we leave. Uggggggggh. Thanks for the reminder, though.

I totally agree about feeling super crunched as a result of vacationing during the holidays. This is the first year we've attempted to do so and when we booked---I said this could end up wonderful or disasterous. My mind still isn't made up.

I've kinda got that feeling also. I've been planning this trip for the last 18 months what if something goes wrong. Hopefully the last min. jitters will pass soon!!

Stephanie

I think the last minute jitters have passed. I've been so crazy busy at work that I haven't had time to stress during the day and by the time I get home at night---my thoughts are elsewhere. This weekend, I'll be kicking it into overdrive and getting everything done with the exception of packing and last minute buying for the trip (or at least, I hope). I hope your hitters are gone also. I'm sure we're both going to have a blast!! :santa:

First, let me start this post with something that I just have to get off of my chest---the urge to do this has been eating at me all day and I've finally given in.

It's the....

SINGLE DIGIT DANCE, BABY!!!!

:woohoo: :yay: :woohoo: :yay: :woohoo: :yay: :woohoo: :yay: :woohoo:

We're finally into single digits and in only 9 short days, we'll be arriving in (hopefully) sunny Orlando, Florida. In fact, at this time in 9 days I should be strolling through Downtown Disney, maybe polishing off a drink from the margarita stand and preparing to see Cirque du Soleil for our first time ever.

Banana man for that!! :banana:

Now, onto trip news. :rolleyes:

Yesterday, I was able to do online check-in for our first night on cash at Boardwalk Villas. That really sort of made it hit me that in only a little over a week, we'll be in WDW----and for my Mom, for the first time in like 13 years! I can't wait to watch her enjoy it. :santa:

I'm really hoping that we are able to get into our room early. The plan for the day is to arrive at MCO around 9:30 a.m. and head to BWV where we will relax for a few hours and then head to DTD. While I would be more than happy relaxing on the Boardwalk---having a room to maybe take a quick power nap and change in rather than using a bench and a bathroom would be nice. Here's hoping!

Today, I should be able to check in for the second part of our stay at Boardwalk Villas, which we are renting points from a fellow Photography Board DISer for. I haven't tried yet, but I'm hoping it doesn't give me any problems. If it does---meh, who cares.

On my lunch break today, I did manage to accomplish some trip stuff, which was refreshing. I bought our travel sized toiletries. We didn't need as many since we will be checking a bag with our shampoo/conditioner, but I got toothpaste, mouthwash, band-aids, TUMS in case DH hits the nachos at ESPN Club too hard, two bars of soap, some SHOUT wipes and some travel sized Q-tips---can't leave home without em!

I also bought some clothing items for the trip. Yesterday I got the pair of jeans that I ordered online and decided that I needed a few comfy casual shirts to wear with them. I got maybe 3 and then also purchased some Christmas t-shirts for my Mom and I to wear during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Erik has a Nightmare Before Christmas shirt that I had purchased for him a while back, so he can wear that. :santa: AND, in the event that the forecast does a complete 180 and we end up going during 40 degree weather, I bought a cheap HANES hooded sweatshirt as a just in case, so that I didn't feel the need to buy one for $50 at WDW.

I still have a bunch of stuff to buy for the trip, but I think that we're starting to make some progress.

I still need to buy:
- Socks
- Ziplog baggies
- Shampoo/conditioner
- Undershirts for me (I can't help it, I just think men's Hanes undershirts are so comfy!)
- Hair ties in case it's actually warm out
- Bare Minerals foundation
- Mascara
- Dog and cat food
- Cat litter

I still need to do a lot as well:
- Get a haircut
- Get a pedicure
- Get Panda, our Persian cat, groomed
- Go over the list of animal to-do's with the house sitter
- Clean the whole house
- Do laundry
- Fold about 7 loads of laundry that have built up over the past few weeks
- Pack camera gear
- Print confirmations for trip
- Enter trip confirmations into TripIt for my iPHONE
- Check into BWV online for second part of our trip
- Print out schedules from Steve Soares' website

I also have to debate whether I should ship my tripod again (it cost roughly $7 to ship plus $5 to receive at the resort) each way last time. If I don't ship the tripod, I will just wrap it up in a bunch of clothes and put it in my checked bag---but then if we head out to Cirque du Soleil before our bags arrive from the DME, I won't have it for any night shooting at Downtown Disney (although I can't guarantee I'll do any regardless of if I have it or not).

Decisions decisions.

I also have to debate whether I should ship my tripod again (it cost roughly $7 to ship plus $5 to receive at the resort) each way last time. If I don't ship the tripod, I will just wrap it up in a bunch of clothes and put it in my checked bag---but then if we head out to Cirque du Soleil before our bags arrive from the DME, I won't have it for any night shooting at Downtown Disney (although I can't guarantee I'll do any regardless of if I have it or not).

Decisions decisions.

That's what I did. Our luggage arrived just as we were leaving our room on arrival day. Even though I should have gotten it, I said "I have the Gorillapod" and left without it, using a trash can as a stand for the Gorillapod instead. Not my brightest move.

That's what I did. Our luggage arrived just as we were leaving our room on arrival day. Even though I should have gotten it, I said "I have the Gorillapod" and left without it, using a trash can as a stand for the Gorillapod instead. Not my brightest move.

Here's the thing---I don't even like Downtown Disney. When we went in October, I took pictures of my sandwiches at EOS and that was it. The only thing I can see wanting my tripod for is a shot of the Lochness Monster Lego guy coming out of the water---and I don't even really care if I get a shot of that. So I should probably just leave it. Who knows. My brain hurts.

No time for that, you've got things to do! That cat isn't going to groom itself. ;)

Really, our cats groom themselves all the time. :goodvibes

I did the single digit dance today too! I am so excited...for me....Hah!...and you too!

Again, for the five of you that may still be reading my PTR, I apologize in advance for not updating more often in the recent weeks---but you all know how important crunch time is!

We leave in exactly five days. At this time in five days, I should be about to depart the Boardwalk Villas (to the surprise of the rest of my group, because they still think we're staying at POP the first night) to head to Downtown Disney for some shopping, some picture taking, some Earl of Sandwich and most importantly some Cirque du Soleil. :yay:

I have accomplished a bunch of things on my "to-do" list that I posted last time, but still am not even close to being ready. This, my friends, is going to come down to the wire.

Now for the actual point of this post, my live blog and Twitter!

As anyone who may have read my October trip report knows, I am going to be live blogging and "Tweeting" around The World during this trip. In October it was a fun way to keep records of what we did during our stay and keep people back home connected and up to date on the fun---so I figured doing it again this trip was only logical.

Without further ado, here are the links for anyone who is interested:

Here is the link to my Twitter.

And here is the link to my live blog.

5 days here too! Argh I can't wait! At least you don't have to have the fear of LES (that's Lake Effect Snow) that might affect your trip! I haven't had much to put on my PTR either...it just so busy with trying to get ready for the trip and be prepared for Christmas when we get back and clear my plate at work. I can't wait to be on that plane and releive all this stress!!

I don't tweet or live blog...but hopefully still we will see you around the parks. IF not, see you here when we get back!

5 days here too! Argh I can't wait! At least you don't have to have the fear of LES (that's Lake Effect Snow) that might affect your trip!

I don't tweet or live blog...but hopefully still we will see you around the parks. IF not, see you here when we get back!

I may not have any fear of LES down here in New Jersey, but I have a fear of AFS (that's Any Freakin Snow ;)). We got an inch or two over the weekend and I'm hoping the weather holds out so we aren't delayed on the 12th. We have Cirque du Soleil to see, after all.

No tweeting or live blogging? No worries. Just make sure you wear the hat from your avatar at all times while in The World and it will make you much more visible to another DISer like me. :thumbsup2

I'm ready for more tweeting! :thumbsup2

:woohoo: I'm going to be a tweeting fool, a fool I tell ya! I have no clue how to post pictures to my Twitter, so I have to do the stinky Live Blog AND Twitter, but that's alright. The Live Blog is actually super dee duper easy.

Five days! I'm so jealous!

Ah, only four days now. ;) You just returned from a trip---so you can't very well be jealous yet! This is my first real trip of the year. My other trip to WDW in October can't possibly count because it was only three days, after all. :santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter