Christmas vacation on a budget

ge0rgette2

DIS Veteran
Looking to go on a family vacation over Christmas/New Years this year.

We are already doing a Disney cruise this coming May.

We were thinking of driving, from Long Island NY, to Florida or somewhere else. Any suggestions?

My parents used to drag us to the North Carolina shore over Christmas break (their favorite area was Caswell Beach - they ended up living there for 10+ years after they retired). On one level they were nuts - you can't exactly sunbathe that time of year :lmao: - but I do have to say the beach is absolutely magical at that time of year. We'd play on the dunes and walk the empty beach on warmer and some even not-so-warm days, and just sit around and watch the sea on stormy days. At night we'd play family games or simply read - I devoured books on those trips. I'd love to do it again!

We too are thinking of going somewhere this year over the holidays, but i am much to cheap to pay the increase in costs for a cruise or all inclusive so we are thinking of renting a house in Florida or along the gulf of Mexico and just relaxing and taking in a few attractions, but not interested in Disney with the crazy crowds so we will see where we end up, but i know it will be warmer then home and nice to get away.........

And because we are thinking of going for about 3 weeks i am finding the houses are cheaper to rent for the month and there is not a huge premium charge for over the holidays.......

We love Hilton Head Island, SC. In fact we are going in a couple weeks for Feb. break.

The beaches are beautiful. You can rent bikes and ride on the beaches or bike paths that go all over the island. There is shopping, tennis, golf, horseback riding, boat cruises, min golf, movies, etc..

It is also only about a half hour from Savannah and a little over two hours from Charleston which are wonderful for day trips.

It takes us about 16 1/2 hours driving from Mass. You are probably about three hours closer. Well worth the drive!

We love it there too, been there lots of time, different times of the year. Love Outer Banks too, wish I could afford the Carribbean! LOL Like to go somewhere warm, Hubbie wants the Gulf Shores, I just want some warmth.

Coming from Long Island we want to drive to save money.

He said maybe just rent a cabin and chill... might look into that.

How about something winter themed? Maybe hit one of the ski resorts up at Hunter or Wyndham, and take the kids snowboarding and skiing? My sister sometimes rents a condo in PA or VT over February break.

We don't go away over Christmas, but we've taken the kids to Mystic Seaport over Easter vacation a few times. We take the Orient Point ferrry, and stay in Mystic-- it's a 5 minute drive from the New London ferry terminal. We do the Seaport, Olde Mistic Village, the aquarium. It's a nice few days.

My husband mentioned snowtubing... go to VT or even Maine, etc.. drive north instead of south.

We've been to Mystic several times..

I have plenty of time to think about it....

Just trying to see my options

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter