Christmas in Rome?

Andrea0710

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are planning at trip to Rome for our 20th anniversary and would like to go at Christmas time. Has anyone ever been the week between Christmas and New Year’s? If so, please give any and all info on sights, weather, holiday activities! Thanks in advance.

We are planning the same! Whole family though but it was our 20th this year! Am in early phases of planning but we plan to arrive right before xmas. many christmas markets should be open til early jan from what i read. have fun!

I'm Italian. You will probably have some rain, but could be lucky and have ☀️ other than that the Midnight mass at st Peter is very beautiful. You will find that a lot of businesses will be closed for the holidays but it shouldn't be as bad as August.
I would rather spend Christmas in the Italian dolomites Madonna di Campiglio, Ortisei, val di funes etc...
Make sure you don't eat in touristic spots one of my favourite place is Da felice in the Testaccio area.
Have fun

We went to Rome for Christmas back in 2014. It was fun to see the Xmas markets and we went to St Peter’s Square on Christmas morning to see the Pope’s address. That was pretty cool. One thing you would need to plan for is seeing the Vatican museum. They were closed for a few days around Christmas so we waiting a long time to get in when they finally opened and it was pretty crowded inside. So make sure of which days its open and maybe wait until the end of your trip to go there. Or pay for a guided tour; I’ve read that cuts down the wait.

We are planning the same! Whole family though but it was our 20th this year! Am in early phases of planning but we plan to arrive right before xmas. many christmas markets should be open til early jan from what i read. have fun!
Same to you! We aren't going until 2024 but we are just planning ahead!

Does anyone have suggestions on hotels? I do not know enough about areas, but I would think something near the center of the city would be nice.

Just don't get any hotels near the station, and this is true for every Italian City
I'm from Milan I can suggest hotels there if you decide to go an do visit there.

Just don't get any hotels near the station, and this is true for every Italian City
I'm from Milan I can suggest hotels there if you decide to go an do visit there.
I was thinking of staying near Trevi Fountain. That seems to be an area close to attractions.

many years ago we stayed at Hotel Dei Mellini and it was great.
We are doing air bnb for this xmas but hotel in florence.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!