Christmas at Aulani

princessmocha

DIS Veteran
We are very excited to be spending Christmas at Aulani this year. As we get closer and closer to leaving (only 75 days until I can check in for our flight, not that I am counting) I have been in hyper planning mode. Most dining we aren't too worried about as we want to enjoy and experience a lot of the food trucks and maybe just some quicker places to eat. My concern is Christmas day. Does anyone know if they do any special diners at the Aulani sit down restaurants (which I know it is just Makahiki right now) or would it be better to make a reservation for dinner at somewhere in Waikiki (since I know a lot of places won't be open)?

Also, is it better to call the resort to make reservations at Makahiki or do it on the app? Is it only 30 days out or can I call now? If it is 30 days, is it like WDW 30 +10 for stay?

Thanks!

We stayed there for Christmas 2019 and were scheduled for the Luau on the 25th and it was moved inside (kind of a catering hall vibe) due to the weather. I really wish I had a backup plan for Christmas.

Likely the Four Seasons will not be allowing dining for non-guests during Festive Season, so fewer close options. I would be scouting out a place now if I were you (but I’m excessive).

I made my reservations online for this summer and it worked out well. Non problems!

ETA: it’s my recollection that they had a full Christmas meal that could be ordered to your villa. We didn’t opt for this - so my recollection is fuzzy!

Last edited:
ETA: it’s my recollection that they had a full Christmas meal that could be ordered to your villa. We didn’t opt for this - so my recollection is fuzzy!
[/QUOTE]
doubt they will offer this for 2021. room service is not offered in general right now.

The luau is sold out for most of December. We called last week and the CM we spoke to said they didn’t have any Christmas plans. Usually they open the ballroom, but with COVID she said this seems unlikely. So at this time there are no plans that they are letting people know about. We are just checking and waiting and calling every couple of weeks. We will be there in 72 days.

doubt they will offer this for 2021. room service is not offered in general right now.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, no idea. They probably don’t even know definitively at this point.

When do they start decorating for xmas? I will be there Nov 11-17th
We were at Aulani around that time last year and the decorations were already up. It may have been because the resort just reopened and they decorated during the closure, though.

I’m visiting Hawaii for Christmas/New Year’s and have already made most of my restaurant reservations. Some restaurants are only taking reservations 30-60 days out, so you can look at Open Table to see how far you can book out for certain restaurants. I can tell you from experience that Waikiki restaurants that allow you to book using Open Table are quickly losing availability for December. I will actually be on Maui for Christmas Day( I’m on Oahu thru Christmas Eve) and finally made my reservation for a dinner cruise because I couldn’t find any information on which restaurants were having a Christmas meal. When I called the cruise company, they only had two seats left.

In 2019 when I went during Christmas, I ate in AMA AMA for breakfast and dinner. I did the luau on Christmas Eve. As OP said, they probably won’t have an option for room service. The front desk should be able to tell you as it gets closer what they have planned. The current protocols have been extended through Nov. 30th, so that will impact their planning. If you’re interested in eating at Makahiki, my suggestion would be to book it ASAP.

While some offsite restaurants can be booked on Open Table, Makahiki is booked via the Disney website. You'll need to link your reservation to book online, or call and they can confirm your reservation. Right now Makahiki is only taking reservations 30 days out.

(Edit to add - I'm not sure the online booking is even working these days. Better to call for Makahiki reservations (808) 674-6200 )

Thanks for the tips everyone! I managed to Open Table a couple of dinner bookings for the 25th and 27th while we're there next month.

We're in a 1br Villa so will we be able to cook our own food in it? It has a kitchen, yes?

@princessmocha Sorry I've been away from Disboards for a while so I didn't see your question about Christmas reservations. I'm unsure about Makahiki but I do know that other restaurants, especially those on Open Table are filling up quickly for the holiday, as a PP stated. Maybe somewhere on the Windward side if you have a car? We're having Thanksgiving at Goen in Kailua which is part of Roy Yamaguchi's group of restaurants. I like his style of cooking a lot! While there is a Roy's in Koolina, their reservations fill up quickly due to the limited spacing inside the restaurant + covid social distancing restrictions. Hope you find a nice place to celebrate & if you have questions about certain restaurants, I'd be happy to help answer any questions.

Just wanted to comment that right now Four Seasons IS allowing non-resort guests for meals, so that may be an option. I didn't see anything specific about the holidays but worth a try. ETA: I see other posts saying there are specific dates where non-resort guests are not allowed. Was not the case for Thanksgiving but sounds like it is for Christmas/NYs.

We did happy hour at Minna's Fish House and really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
So you’re back from your trip…was it decorated for Christmas?🎄I’m headed there next weekend.
They started this week!
We were in the lobby on Monday night and the garland was up, Tuesday morning the trees were up. If its not fully decorated by now it will be next week.

Just wanted to comment that right now Four Seasons IS allowing non-resort guests for meals, so that may be an option. I didn't see anything specific about the holidays but worth a try. ETA: I see other posts saying there are specific dates where non-resort guests are not allowed. Was not the case for Thanksgiving but sounds like it is for Christmas/NYs.

Yes, festive season isChristmas and New Years week plus. That is when they will be guest only.

Thank you! I did make a couple ressies on Open Table so we should be good! 18 days until we leave, not that I'm counting or anything!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter