Christmas 2008 Mischief Elf-capades

MattMatts-Momma

311 Miles from the Wilderness Lodge!!
Hi,

Can we start a new thread for people who will be doing the Mischief/Magic Elf for the first time and for people who have done the Elf-capades before.

This will be the first year of us doing this and hopefully it will become a new tradition for us.

I am a SAHM mom to DS5 and DD3, I think they will have a blast with the elves.

I found two elves last year at Marshalls after the Christmas holidays to use this year. I would have started this last year, but I didn't hear about this until it was too late in the season. I like to have a plan before I start something, and I just didn't have my plan ready last year.

I would love to see posts from others who have done this before.

What were your elves names?
How did they arrive at your house?
What mischief did they do while at your house?
Did they have any special things they brought with them?
When and how did they leave you on December 24th?

I know it is a little early for Christmas still, but this will give us all time to plan all of the above.

Please join in, this will be fun!!

Mischief Ideas (Under Construction..)

1. Raiding the underwear drawer and hanging underwear on the tree .
2. Making snow angels in flour.
3. Having storytime with all the animals.
4. Having snowball fights with cotton balls.

We had four elves last year (one for each child, and the elves looked like the kid...)
Off the top of my head the elves names were, weezy, joy, ellie, and I can't remember the boy elfs name.
They showed up on December 1, they were caught trying to sneak in the sliding doors on the deck, they had a christmas book, and advent calendar, and reindeer.
They had lots of mischeif, raiding the underware drawer to decorate the tree (which they also put up for daddy in the middle of the night!!), snow angels in the flour, storytime with all the animals, snowball fights (with cotton balls), and lots more.
This year, I am hoping they show up later in december,last year by the end of the month, I think they were getting tired, and running out of ideas.
Last year we left them with the cookies and milk to get a ride back with santa.
My kids are already talking about the elves (and I believe the head elf, in charge is planning already as well!!), and are in the process of writing letters to santa, they would like to request the same elves come visit them this year.

Also last year, I had picked up tons of christmas crafts, the elfs gave each of the kids a craft, or a small candy or something every night in their elf bags.
This year, I heard they are probably going to be splurging and getting us tickets to go see how the grinch stole christmas on broadway!
Last year I again picked up a TON of christmas crafts on clearance, so the elves will bring them again this year. I also found a site with passports, so we will have them this year. I will also find a nice chapter book they can bring (last year they brought "The best worst christmas pagent ever".

We had a ball, but 25 days was tiring last year..and we did run out of ideas...so, please would love to hear some more!
H

We have one elf that both our boys share. I cannot remember his name now but the boys named him last year when he came. I mailed him to our house with a note from Santa. He came 12 days before Christmas. Every morning he was in a new place in the house and left them a small gift. There were strict "rules" about not touching the elf or he would loose all of his mly agic. He reported back to Santa every night to let him know if the boys were being good. On Christmas Eve morning he left a "bigger" gift than he had in the past - if I remember correctly it was Transformers. He also left a note saying he would return to the North Pole with Santa when he came to deliver their gifts but that he would be back next year as long as the boys wrote a letter and asked Santa to send him.

I like the idea of him creating mischief. I will have to do that this year.

Hope this helps.

I have never heard of this but I am now intrigued!!! Where do I find elves? I have 2 girls and this would be SOOOOOOOOOO much fun to do!!! Any and all help, advice and ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

WOW!!! That's all I can say. WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!

Am I the only person sitting here thinking what the heck??? I have never heard of such a thing...enlighten me!

Am I the only person sitting here thinking what the heck??? I have never heard of such a thing...enlighten me!

No you are not the only one! I would love to know what this is about too!
It sounds like it could be fun.

This will be our 4th year for our elves to visit. :santa: I ordered ours from elf-magic. I love for our elves to visit, but I think ours will come later in the month of December too. We are running out of ideas!

We have a new baby this year, so I will need to order her one soon. DS8 was just asking me today if I thought the elves would be coming again this year.

Ours are named, Kingsley, Lenny, and Webb. They usually bring several small gifts throughout the month. Last year they hid notes throughout the house giving us clues to where they were hiding. We found them in the freezer. I guess they missed the North Pole! :)

I'm looking forward to hearing some more good ideas here!

This sounds SO cute! Please share the details, my boys (almost) 6, 3, and 1 would love this this year....although, we're going to WDW 12/7-14th, so it may be hard to do it this year? Any ideas would be great!!! Thank you!:santa:

This is so fun! Our elf is named Spencer he has his own My space page you can read about his adventures last year there. http://www.myspace.com/spencerelf

Spencer really made my dd's Christmas. He is best friends with another Shelf elf 'Sheppy" Who belongs to my neice.

Since Christmas Spencer got married and has had a "litter" as he says. He has a little elf son, Puckett who I suspect will be visiting with us this year too. I have lots of fun planned for this year but will have to post about that later.

Ginger and Phillip showed up hanging out of our stockings the day after we sent our letters to Santa. They came with a note from Santa explaining they were there to monitor the kids behavior and report back to Santa every night. Every night before the kids go to bed they put the elves in their stockings to go back to the N. Pole. In the morning those sneaky elves have usually gone somewhere and been up to something. One morning we found them in the bathroom where they had squirted toothpaste in the shape of a Xmas tree on the sink and left new toothbrushes. They also were found in the cabinets inside new hot chocolate mugs. They have been found hiding in the xmas tree branches, wreath on the front door, refrig, dryer, and the dog kennel.,etc.. Sometimes they leave a little gift and other times they just leave a mess. They have been known to hide so good that it once took 3 days to find them!! They stayed at our house until Santa picked them up Xmas Eve. We sure hope they come back this year!!!!!,

Wow! what a great idea, this is the first I have heard about the elves, I love the this. I will definitly be sending them to my Grandkids, My daughters will love this. We love craft anyway:lmao: Yes really we are craft nuts. As I was reading on here I have thought of some things and would love to ad some of the thing other have planned.
1. for my grandson they Love legos, I thought I or my daughter could build a castle and cover it with cotton balls.
2. have them in the cookie jar holding a cookie when the come home from school.
3 Hiding a list for Santa of whats going on ( some things to make them laugh)
4.For our grand daughter 10 a tinker bell T or PJ stuffed in her pillow case the along with her elf,
5. Elf in there shoes again with making a bed.

Is this kind of the idea for the elf?:confused3

I wanted to do this last year, but I couldn't find an elf I liked.

Don't laugh ... the elfonashelf guy creeps me the heck out. I guess I have a fear of elves:confused3

Anyways, I am on the lookout for a great elf this year. I don't know, we are currently living with my parents (my three year old and I) as well as my ten year old sister. I wonder if 10 is "too old".

For the people asking, the elves come from Santa to watch your kids. But, they end up doing silly things. I know having someone in the house reporting back to Santa would keep my little one on track ... lol.

I figure we'll have at least one elf come visit this year ... and each day do something silly either before or after school. I am thinking of him also bringing her a Christmas book or movie each night ... to start a new tradition as well.

I am going to start a list with everyone's ideas, that way all of the people doing this for the first time or ones who need new Ideas can look in one place.

I think we should have a good list of mischief by December.

I found a plush Hermie the Elf....from Rudolph's Island of Misfit Toys. Actually, it is this one that I found on eBay, although that isn't where I purchased it http://cgi.ebay.com/RUDOLPH-ISLAND-OF-MISFITS-HERMEY-DENTIST-PLUSH-14-INCH_W0QQitemZ220272898034QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116. He's wearing a little elf hat and elf shoes. My 4 year old daughter loves him.

Our only "rule" is that the kids cannot carry him around. Because, of course, he's not a toy, he's a real elf that comes alive at night. He is found in a different place each morning. And he leaves and goes back with Santa in his sleigh on Christmas Eve night. He reports to Santa nightly on how the kids are acting.

The kids also have a little mailbox sitting by the fireplace. Each morning there's a small surprise inside. Although....I run out of ideas for that LOL! Especailly now that I have an 18 month old (will be 21 months at the beginning of December) that I'll have to include.

We never have the elf do mischevious things.....but that's a good idea! I might have to use some of these ideas some mornings.

This sounds adorable and thank you to those explaining to phenomenon! My question is- the first time it was introduced to your kids how the heck did you explain it to them? Now my kids are older, 8, 10 and 12 so I think it may be past the prime for our household, but it would be cute to try with the littlest one who still believes. The older 2 would play along I am sure....but how did you bring them into the house and how did you explain what was happening (especially without scaring the you know what out of them thinking there is an elf coming to life in their house while they sleep!)

Well, it was our first year last year, and I told the kids, that I talked to someone who adopted an elf to stay with them in december after they were done making toys. The elf would tell santa how they behaved, and maybe play tricks and things like that. And told them if they were good, and wrote santa a letter, maybe he would let them adopt an elf too. My kids were thrilled, and so excited! So, we wrote santa a letter, and adopted 4 elfs (one for each kid!!)
We got ours of elfmagic.com, they come with a cute letter explaining what they do, and how to take care of them (every night we had to give them water, and crackers....why? Because the water reminds them of the melting ice they drink, and the crackers remind them of the crackling ice in the north pole)
My kids were allowed to play with their elfs, they did not take them to bed wtih them, because they had to eat their dinner, and you also sprinkle snow (white paper punched out into little cirlces) on them, that makes them come to life at night.
We loved it, we took pictures everyday, and posted them for my family and friends to see, and everyone loved seeing the pictures. We even know of at least 3 more famlies that are adopting elfs this year, because we had so much fun last year.

I also did not like the elf on the shelf (from hallmark), he was scary,we really like the elfmagic elfs, they are cute,and come with lots of stuff. You can also order extra clothes, and a mug, and plate for them (elf sized). Plus, that site has lots of pictures and ideas of stuff to do.

I bet your big kids would love it too, even though they know the secret. My oldest is at that age where she is starting to question things, like easter, characters, etc....but she has never questioned the elf yet. For her, that is 100% real still (and it is, I would never make such a mess in my own house at night!!)

This sounds adorable and thank you to those explaining to phenomenon! My question is- the first time it was introduced to your kids how the heck did you explain it to them? Now my kids are older, 8, 10 and 12 so I think it may be past the prime for our household, but it would be cute to try with the littlest one who still believes. The older 2 would play along I am sure....but how did you bring them into the house and how did you explain what was happening (especially without scaring the you know what out of them thinking there is an elf coming to life in their house while they sleep!)

I love, love the elfs. Last year was our first and can't wait for this year!

Some highlights off the top of my head:

1) Elfs brought pancake christmas molds. Made a mess with the pancake mix on the counter. But Daddy cleaned it up and we had tree shaped pancakes that am

2) Elfs got out all the Little People Christmas things and set them up one night. Love to play with those

3) Elfs had a movie party one night - popcorn all over the couch! But we got to watch a new movie - Elf of course!!

4) Elfs brought us tickets to go to the muesum that day.

Oh, this is soooo much fun!! I need to start my list!

Oh my gosh! this is such a great idea, looooove it. I am going to get my grandaughter an elf for this Christmas season. I love all the ideas that are coming in and I am taking notes.:goodvibes

We did this for the first time last year. I told DD that she could write a letter to santa and see if he would send an elf to be her friend until Christmas. (I had already ordered it. I think it was from elfmagic.) So she wrote her note and left it by the Christmas tree and the next morning when she got up there he was waiting for her. She was so excited. She was allowed to play with him during the day but he had to stay downstairs at night.

I think our's was named Kingsly too. Anyway, every morning she found him somewhere silly like in the Christmas tree or up on the shelf on the reindeer statue or in the cookie jar or whatever. We didn't do gifts or anything. Then he went home Christmas Eve with Santa and she cried and cried. She was upset for weeks. She finally kind of forgot about him, so she will be very excited when it's time to write Santa again this year.

I like the ideas about the snowball fight with cotton balls and stuff. I was starting to run out of ideas last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!