choosing an airport

krispykreme97

Mouseketeer
Which airport do you fly into when going on a disney cruise Orlando International or Melbourne (MLB). Does disney offer transfers to the port from both and why are the flight prices higher on disney website than on the airline. Even paying for a flight and adding disney ground transportation comes out cheaper than booking a flight through Disney.

IMO, MCO is much easier. Elbourne is closer, but not as closer as you would think. For most, far more flight options into MCO. Cars in MCO are cheaper. Disney Transportion is ONLY MCO. The only advantage I can think of for Melbourne would be either it's (marginal) advantage in distance or if you are the type that is frightened or intimidated by larger airports.
Have a great cruise!

There are only four airlines flying in/out of Melbourne. Those are Delta, US Airways, Baer Air and Direct Air. I've never heard of the last two. As Chris noted, MCO is your best and probably cheapest airport to use for a cruise out of Port Canaveral.

The Melbourne Airport Express (800-826-4544) offers transportation to/from Port Canaveral.

http://www.mlbair.com/arivingschedules.html

For our cruise we are flying into MCO and out of MLB. The prices worked out better that way with Delta. The rent car through Budget using the Disney promotion code it made no difference in price. MCO is laid out pretty good, I have never had any trouble there. I have heard to allow extra time because with the new scanners the lines in security tend to get backed up.

Flight prices are higher if you book them through DCL because they buy in bulk at a single, pre-arranged price. Those fairs don't reflect sales, etc, that you might find via the airlines. DCL's fares are almost always higher than what you can book yourself; sometimes *significantly* so. The only reason to book through DCL would be for the "convenience" or to be covered by DCL's travel insurance.

Sayhello

IMO, MCO is much easier. Elbourne is closer, but not as closer as you would think. For most, far more flight options into MCO. Cars in MCO are cheaper. Disney Transportion is ONLY MCO. The only advantage I can think of for Melbourne would be either it's (marginal) advantage in distance or if you are the type that is frightened or intimidated by larger airports.
Have a great cruise!

It was actually cheaper for my flight $218 vs $311 but knowing that disney only transfer from MCO makes a difference. Thanks! Does the airline make a difference because Airtrans had a $138 flight but went up to $158 when I clicked on it.

Flight prices are higher if you book them through DCL because they buy in bulk at a single, pre-arranged price. Those fairs don't reflect sales, etc, that you might find via the airlines. DCL's fares are almost always higher than what you can book yourself; sometimes *significantly* so. The only reason to book through DCL would be for the "convenience" or to be covered by DCL's travel insurance.

Sayhello

So if I already purchased vacation insurance through disney and if I decide to book on my own through delta I would have to purchase flight insurance separately whereas since the insurance is already purchased and if I book through disney the flight is already covered. Decisions decisions. I think I'll just pay extra for the convenience!

Booking air thru DCL has been a rare event for us, and never a satisfactory one. As noted, the costs are typically higher when booked thru DCL. Also, you lose all control over your flights (times, etc) except that they will get you to the ship before it sails.

Delta used to have non-stop flights to MCO from my local airport, but DCL never used those--they always put us on the 6 am flight thru Atlanta or Cincinnati. They don't use Southwest which still has direct flights.

You can do the air on your own and still book DCL transfers from MCO to the port.

As to original poster's question, if you fly into an airport other than MCO, you will need to find your own way to the terminal (rental car or limo service). DCL provides transfers to/from MCO only.

You can also buy travel insurance privately and get more coverage for a lower cost than what you get thru DCL (in most cases). The difference is with elderly travelers as rates are based on age when you purchase privately.

Thanks but we can't get to it from Memphis!

This is our first time flying into SFB Stanford, the other Orlando airport.
I guess we just got lucky on the direct flight.

We start in Appleton WI, or ATW, another small airport.

Appleton airport is so small they close the check in counter then go land the plane. Same people do both jobs.

We have always flown into MCO. Don't do what one couple we know had done for their Disney cruise. They DID NOT get on this board and ask which airport to fly into for their Disney cruise. They assumed it was Miami :confused3:scared1::eek: True story.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts