CHOC Walk Questions

wilsonarts

Earning My Ears
Hi. We're driving in on the afternoon of August 10th, and the 11th will be our first day in the parks. Since finding out that is the day of the CHOC walk, my daughter (23) and I have decided to sign up. I need to register by the 15th so we can have our wristbands and t-shirts mailed to us. I was just wondering if we should sign up individually or if there's any benefit to joining a team (Mouse Wait is what I was considering). Also, does anyone know how early we would need to be at the park? Thanks.

Not sure on the joining the team part. I walk with a team through work...

The walk kicks off around 6 or 6:30 AM, and you would want to be at the park by 5:30 to get in and be lined up on Main Street for the opening ceremonies.

The walk iteself is a lot of fun. There are a lot of characters out that you can meet (or some like the princesses that ride the carousel that you can just see), plus many cast members and groups out cheering people on and giving high fives. It is a great experience and I am sure you will enjoy it!

For 2017, the opening ceremony on Main Street was at 6:15. If you don't need to be there for all the festivities, I think the latest time you can start is 7:30. There will be a LOT of people so allow extra time for getting anywhere, parking, et. I think the parking structure usually opens at 4:00am.

That really helps, thank you! It does look like a lot of fun and we're really looking forward to it.

Hi. We're driving in on the afternoon of August 10th, and the 11th will be our first day in the parks. Since finding out that is the day of the CHOC walk, my daughter (23) and I have decided to sign up. I need to register by the 15th so we can have our wristbands and t-shirts mailed to us. I was just wondering if we should sign up individually or if there's any benefit to joining a team (Mouse Wait is what I was considering). Also, does anyone know how early we would need to be at the park? Thanks.

DD and I did the same thing you are last year (already had a trip planned and decided to join the walk) but we went "all in" and did some fundraising too. I am a pediatric pharmacist so it was a no brainer for me to raise money for a children's hospital like CHOC.

As far as teams-some of the teams have additional incentives you can earn with donations or special t-shirts. That would really be the main reason I'm aware of. We joined the Annual Passholder team and based on donations earned several additional Passholder team specific incentive items (my DD ended up one of the top 25 fundraisers on the team!). The AP team also had a special T-Shirt you got instead of the general one. So I'd just look at the team pages and see if you think there's a benefit for you. If you don't really plan to fundraise beyond the basic donation to participate and don't feel a particular allegiance to any team there isn't really a need to join.

Some people who want to be near the front get there VERY early. We weren't super concerned about that and left the GCH around 6:20am. The stated start time was 6:15am. We were about halfway back in the esplanade and then once we started moving ended up near fire station where we could kind of hear the announcers from the start line. We stopped several more times as the mass of people made its way in. It was actually uncomfortably packed for the first part of the walk. If I did it again, I would probably arrive even a little later to be farther back. As the walk went through other "choke points" in the park such as Big Thunder Trail it again became uncomfortable and difficult to move. DD (who was 9 at the time) actually had a bit of a panic attack from the crush of people which had never happened with her before. Because she was so uncomfortable we ended up bailing on the walk halfway through (when we crossed the Esplanade to DCA). Don't get me wrong- people weren't rushing or rude or anything. The overall atmosphere was very fun and friendly, it was just a LOT of people so just be prepared. I used to do runDisney events when they still had them at DLR and this was very different- much more of just a big slow moving walk. Again, this isn't bad or anything but more so you know what to expect.

Edited to add- I would do it again. DD definitely would not.

Also- I don't know where you're currently staying but we got a KILLER rate at the GCH through the CHOC walk. I don't know if they're offering that again this year but worth checking out!

DD and I did the same thing you are last year (already had a trip planned and decided to join the walk) but we went "all in" and did some fundraising too. I am a pediatric pharmacist so it was a no brainer for me to raise money for a children's hospital like CHOC.

As far as teams-some of the teams have additional incentives you can earn with donations or special t-shirts. That would really be the main reason I'm aware of. We joined the Annual Passholder team and based on donations earned several additional Passholder team specific incentive items (my DD ended up one of the top 25 fundraisers on the team!). The AP team also had a special T-Shirt you got instead of the general one. So I'd just look at the team pages and see if you think there's a benefit for you. If you don't really plan to fundraise beyond the basic donation to participate and don't feel a particular allegiance to any team there isn't really a need to join.

Some people who want to be near the front get there VERY early. We weren't super concerned about that and left the GCH around 6:20am. The stated start time was 6:15am. We were about halfway back in the esplanade and then once we started moving ended up near fire station where we could kind of hear the announcers from the start line. We stopped several more times as the mass of people made its way in. It was actually uncomfortably packed for the first part of the walk. If I did it again, I would probably arrive even a little later to be farther back. As the walk went through other "choke points" in the park such as Big Thunder Trail it again became uncomfortable and difficult to move. DD (who was 9 at the time) actually had a bit of a panic attack from the crush of people which had never happened with her before. Because she was so uncomfortable we ended up bailing on the walk halfway through (when we crossed the Esplanade to DCA). Don't get me wrong- people weren't rushing or rude or anything. The overall atmosphere was very fun and friendly, it was just a LOT of people so just be prepared. I used to do runDisney events when they still had them at DLR and this was very different- much more of just a big slow moving walk. Again, this isn't bad or anything but more so you know what to expect.

Edited to add- I would do it again. DD definitely would not.

Also- I don't know where you're currently staying but we got a KILLER rate at the GCH through the CHOC walk. I don't know if they're offering that again this year but worth checking out!
This is great information. Thank you! I will check out the rates at GCH.

Good for you and your DD for joining the Walk! It is a great cause and a really fun event. We walk with a team (MousePlanet) and find it to be easier than trying to maneuver through everything (paperwork, crowds, etc.) on our own. If we have any questions, we can just text our team leader and get answers right away. Our team leader picks up our wristbands and t-shirts ahead of time, then hands out everything to each team member when we check in on the morning of the Walk. There are really fun photo opportunities throughout the walk in both parks, so have your camera/phone fully charged and ready to go! We usually aim to be at team check in by 5:30 am (yes, Starbucks DTD is OPEN! And they have mobile ordering!) so that we can be on Main Street for Opening Ceremony with our team. You're going to have such a good time and get great photos. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter