Children being charged for energy, housekeeping fees at CS in Atlantis

ShellyLynn3630

DIS Veteran
Ok, I think someone posted the other day that if you have a child under a certain age that they will not be charged for the energy, housekeeping, blah, blah, surcharges at the CS in Atlantis. Can anyone enlighten me. I can't find that thread. TIA

I think it is under 16 or something like that, however they charged EXTRA for housekeeping if you have someone under 16. It's insane!!!! If you just send one person to check in you can avoid some of the nickel and dimming. pirate:

I called an 800 number and they said yes I would be charged for all kids. I wanted to call the hotel directly, but a call to the bahamas, I am not sure how much that would cost.

Really? I would think they would want to see everyone to give them thier wrist bands for Atlantis.

Yes, they do want to see everyone to give them wristbands and they will only give them for the number of people you say are in the room; they don't just hand you 4 wristbands. All adults on the reservation also have to sign in.

I called the hotel about this yesterday. I was told that kids under 12 don't get charged the energy surcharge. (Didn't ask about the housekeeping fee.). Kids 12-15 get charged a lower energry surcharge. Sorry, I didn't write the fee down for this group because my kids are under 12.

When we did the 4 night in 2005, we booked a room at the Atlantis for access to the property and the water slide area. It was about $300 total for the room (which we never stepped foot in). If I am reading their website correctly, I would pay $330 for the room and the tax, plus an additional $12.95 per person energy fee, $5 per person room gratuity, and the 3rd and 4th person cost an additional $40 each plus tax and service charges. According to my calculations, that is around $497 and the cost to go through Disney is $636 and that includes lunch and transportation to Atlantis. Hmmm. :confused:

Just one of my children is under the age of 12, so its nots really that big of a deal. I am hearing conflicting reports. I guess I will just budget for all of us and then if they exclude some charges on her well that will just be a little extra.

from the CS website:

Hotel Alerts: Must have one adult 21 years or older in each room. Energy surcharge: 12.95 per person per night. Housekeeping gratuities: 5.00 per person per night These are additional charges not included in nightly estimated total and must be paid directly at the hotel. Persons 16 and older are charged as adults. 3rd/4th person charged 40.00 per night + tax and service charges

we were charged for both the housekeeping and energy surcharge for both our kids under 16, and under 12.

This is exactly why I don't do it. I refuse to pay so many ridiculous fees. Sounds like there are so many, they were desparate to come up with names for them.
We are quite content on the ship. :cloud9:

This is exactly why I don't do it. I refuse to pay so many ridiculous fees. Sounds like there are so many, they were desparate to come up with names for them.
Same. We could buy annual passes to the Disney World water parks for our entire family for less than it would cost to spend a few hours in the pools at Atlantis...with no guarantee of what the weather might be like on the day we visit.,

Same. We could buy annual passes to the Disney World water parks for our entire family for less than it would cost to spend a few hours in the pools at Atlantis...with no guarantee of what the weather might be like on the day we visit.,

True! and yet people gripe at having to pay $15 luggage fees. At least with that you have another option (carry on) and you're actually receiving the service. How can they charge a housekeeping & energy fee when you don't even step foot in the room?! :mad: BS!

Since most folks are only trying to "take advantage" of a loop hole allowing a cheaper way to get into the water park, I find it amusing that there is "outrage" over being taken advantage of.

IMHO this is just a starnge arrangement anyway you look at it. Complaining they are charging "because we don't use the room" well, that's your call. You could use the room, but as long as folks are willing to PAY for them to do this they will be willing to stick it to you. There's on "long term loyalty" at risk here :)

All of the hotels in the Bahamas charge he same fees in my experience. It's like the automatic gratuity they also charge in restaurants there. If you try to book a room at the Atlantis directly, you'll be charged the same fees, so it's not just a Comfort Suites issue.

I emailed the hotel a couple weeks ago, and I was the OP of the thread the OP of this thread mentioned. The hotel said they they charge the fees for children aged 12 and above. Im still undecided if we will keep our room. We would like to try the Atlantis, but after all the fees is really pricey for just a few hours! Contemplating doing just the aquarium or still the dolphin encounter. :)

I emailed the hotel a couple weeks ago, and I was the OP of the thread the OP of this thread mentioned. The hotel said they they charge the fees for children aged 12 and above. Im still undecided if we will keep our room. We would like to try the Atlantis, but after all the fees is really pricey for just a few hours! Contemplating doing just the aquarium or still the dolphin encounter. :)

I know, I agree, but we just loooovvvee waterparks. I don't think I could handle going over there and not getting into the most fun for us. My family likes the waterparks at Disney almost more than some of thier theme parks.

Is there a thread that tells me how to do the CS thing? We cruised in '08 and I remember seeing stuff about it but we didn't stop there so I didn't pay much attention. I'm thinking of doing a 3 or 4 day next Dec so now I need to figure it out. Thanks for any help.

There are so many "hidden fee's" when going the route of CS. The total cost for us ended up being not much cheaper than just booking the excursion with DCL. Knowing that we won't have to deal with any hassles by booking with DCL, such as finding a ride to and from, spending time checking into a hotel that we aren't staying at, etc....makes up for the small amount more that DCL charges over what we would have spent going the CS route.

Since most folks are only trying to "take advantage" of a loop hole allowing a cheaper way to get into the water park, I find it amusing that there is "outrage" over being taken advantage of.

IMHO this is just a starnge arrangement anyway you look at it. Complaining they are charging "because we don't use the room" well, that's your call. You could use the room, but as long as folks are willing to PAY for them to do this they will be willing to stick it to you. There's on "long term loyalty" at risk here :)

I disagree. It's not taking advantage of anything. It's perfectly legitimate. It's a perk of paying for a stay at a particular hotel. Sometimes there are more than 1 way of doing things.

To me it's the same as using Starwood Hotel points to stay at Swan/Dolphin and be able to use EMH at WDW. Would you call that a "loophole" too? :confused3 No, it's a perk offered by that hotel.

Neither case is stealing or dishonest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter