Child Support Credit Card Theft!! EPPICard USERS**UPDATE**

Mickeys.friend

Too far from the fun!!!!
I am just sick......I receive child support for my DS(12) from my first husband. I receive the payments on what's called an EPPICard. I have never had a problem with this service or card. However, on the 22nd of May, I realized I lost my card so I cancelled is right away. On the 30th, I received my new card in the mail, but I also received an email seemingly from EPPICard asking me to log in and give information/change password, etc....Now, I am no internet dummy, I have an ebay and Paypal account and I know all about "phishing emails" and I never got hooked. Because, I just lost my card and received the new one that day, my radar did not go off when I got the email. Unfortunately, it was a scam!!! It looked so real, and the page I went to was EXACTLY like the Eppicard site....EXACTLY!! I clicked the link and entered my new card information and VIOLA...My card information ended up being stolen by a group of Romanians in Chicago IL. They got me for $250 :scared1: (all I had on the card at the time). I don't get much at all in support, so I was letting the ammount build over the last 2 monthsto take my son on a nice Summer Clothes shopping spree. Today was the day, and I felt like a great BIG *** at the checkout of the Target when my card was declined! I paid with my debit card (HUGE BUDGET BUSTER!) and went straight home to investigate. Now, the loss of this money is not going to break me, and I will get it back in about 6 weeks, but, WHAT THE HECK HAS THE WORLD COME TO WHEN CRIMINALS TARGET YOUR CHILD SUPPORT! :mad: It's sickening, and I know many other moms got scammed! Most moms receiving support are single and probably need it more than me! I am remarried with other income. I found out about 10 states are affected. here's a link about the scam......if you receive any government payments through Eppicard...Please Read! I hope this helps someone else before it's too late!!

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/mostread/s_569524.html

LIZ

wow that is low. But crooks will do and steal from anyone. I am sorry this happened to you

Sorry this happened to you. I have the Eppicard too-not that my ex actually PAYS, but I have it. I miss getting a check or direct deposit. I never even got the choice...I suddenly went from getting DD to receiving that stupid Eppicard in the mail and being told that's what I had to use now. If you ask me, it stinks and leaves you vulnerable to this kind of garbage-just what a parent needs! I hope you get your situation resolved soon and that the money comes back to you. :hug:

Thanks all, and I am sure it will work out in the end. I went back over to direct deposit into my bank account for the next payment. *KeepMovingForward* ....You hit the nail on the head.....I too never got told I was going over to the card....my payments were so small and NEVER timely, so I didn't really care...But now I sure do!
(By the way...I love your ID name...great movie!!!)

LIZ

A coworker of mine had her actual card stolen and money taken from her account. When I login to the NY C/S site (to see if a payment was ever made or if I just accrued MORE arrears) there is a huge warning:

Warning to EPPICard users

False or "phishing" emails about EPPICard accounts have been reported. EPPICard will never request personal information such as your Social Security number, card number or PIN through email. These false emails are designed to steal your personal information. Do not respond to any email requests for personal information. Do not open any such email and delete it immediately.

However, if you did respond or if you believe your card account has been compromised, please call the number on the back of the card.

I received three of these e-mails in two different e-mail accounts. I thought it was odd because I have my (never arriving) support direct deposited. Anyway, I clicked on the link out of curiosity. Firefox popped up a message indicating this was a fraudulent site. I highly recommend Firefox over IE because they are really good with these sort of issues.

You would think the child support officials would send out a mass mailing alerting their consumers of this scam. I guess that makes to much sense for a government agency to consider.

Yep...I read that warning today AFTER I discovered the theft. My problem was that I rarely check my statement because I rarely use the card. In addition to that, I had lost one card and received a new one the same day I got the phishing email....That's why I did not think anything of it. It was all very innocent, so I know it can happen to anyone. Funny thing is....when talking to Eppicard customer service, I was told that I was the only one from PA that has reported such fraud so far.....That actually was garbage, because when I searched online, I read that there there were MANY Pennsylvanians that were scammed. Florida was hit too...One woman lost $1700!!! The nutty Eppicard rep. tried to tell me that someone from my house must have taken the card and flew to Chicago and used the card yesterday! Ha!

LIZ

I have found people at C/S to most unhelpful sometimes. Sometimes when I get off the phone I feel like this :furious:

ETA: They should be sending notices out to folks with the card. I get direct deposit so I don't have to worry...well since he doesn't pay I guess I'm double protected. :lmao: But for the people that DO have the card, they need to be made aware.

I have found people at C/S to most unhelpful sometimes. Sometimes when I get off the phone I feel like this :furious:

You too, huh? I thought it was just NJ child support that was rude and unhelpful! ;) They're also lazy because they aren't too good about enforcing payments. :confused3

I got one of those emails and had no idea what an EPPI card was and figured it was one of the scams. I then got an email from a coworker warning us about it. To be honest, I had no idea what and EPPI card was and was too embarrassed to ask, so thanks for educating me. Sorry this happened!! Geez, what else will these people think of??

Heck, I have gotten these emails and I didn't even know what the dang card was!

You too, huh? I thought it was just NJ child support that was rude and unhelpful! ;) They're also lazy because they aren't too good about enforcing payments. :confused3

::yes:: I think it is ALL support agencies. Apparently I'm wrong for requesting that they take action against him since he NEVER makes timely payments :confused3. It isn't like he has to pay a million freakin dollars! His payments are $50/week!

::yes:: I think it is ALL support agencies. Apparently I'm wrong for requesting that they take action against him since he NEVER makes timely payments :confused3. It isn't like he has to pay a million freakin dollars! His payments are $50/week!

I know where your coming from. My ex just passed the milestone of being 30K in arrears two weeks ago-they allow him to roam free and not pay. :confused3 As the custodial parent if we didn't support our kids we'd be brought up on charges for neglect. I laugh when I hear non-custodial parents say that the system works against them. From my perspective the system helps encourage them to be deadbeats. Okay...I'm stepping off my soapbox now. :headache:

I just spoke my case worker the other day and she just made a fuss because I was complaining that my donor for dd was not paying. He's ordered to pay a whopping $23 a week....yep you read it right $23 a week only $92 a month and he's trying to get that lowered!!! He's also $18,197.00 in arrears and on a 30 day diversion program. But he did attempt to make payments last year as she states...Between the months of April and October I did recieve any where from $0.42 to $0.59 a month from him. Such a true effort isn't it, so what am I complaining for? BTW that was the first I'd recieved from him in 4 years.
All this time I thought it was just my CSEA that was worthless.

I also got that email a few times in my junk email account. I love how it says "final notice":lmao:. I don't even have an Eppi card. MA child support is as bad as it gets. I been waiting for them to go after my DD father for 18 years now:furious: (now DD is 21), I even asked them if they would like my daughter to drive them to where he lives and arrest him and they told me "That they don't do that the police do"!!!!!!! How's that for help? Sorry for going off topic, just beware of any email that ask for personal info like that. I would call instead of emailing any of that info. Can't trust email anymore too much fraud going on these days.

I couldn't agree more!

It's like my daughter is eligible for child support and not entitled to it-at least that's how I feel when dealing with child support enforcement.:confused3

You know my CSEA made a $449 mistake on my account and WON'T correct it? I am LIVID to say the least. They took $449 in arrears out of my account, I mailed them a letter spelling it all out with how much I was paid and when and they still will not fix it. They say I was over compensated. And not only was I robbed, but they put a freeze on my account for 3 months. Of course this was the only time he had made payments and I couldn't receive them because those jerks messed up!

Sorry end rant!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter