Child Falls from balcony onto savannah at Kidani

kcooley

Earning My Ears
I was returning to my room around 6:30 this afternoon and saw an ambulance next to one of the buildings on the savannah. I asked one of the staff and they said a child had fallen from their room balcony to the savannah. Bits and pieces say the child was under six and should be ok.

That's terrifying-- we're staying there in Nov. and my DS is pretty much Houdini. Hope the little one is okay.

IMG_3461.JPG

Curious how that happened, the railings are pretty high, must have climbed on a table or chair to get a better look.

those railings are high enough that the child and or parent was not doing what they should have been. I have stayed there many times and never worried about falling over the railing....

all it would take is the child to stand on a chair to be able to climb on the rail. My kids could figure out how to climb on anything. That is why we never left them alone on the balcony....... hope all is well!

It's nice that the giraffe seems genuinely concerned for the child's well being. I love Disney!

(seriously I hope the little one is ok!!! didn't mean to be flip...)

Correction. The child fell from a room balcony at Jambo - viewable from Kidani where the pict was taken.

Curious: I was just at Kidani and there was a separation zone below the balcony with a fenced and camera monitored "warning track". You could not "fall onto the Savannah" there.

Is that not the case at Jambo?

Oh - and if this was a case of a child on the balcony without a parent - remember to engage the extra lock located up high out of child reach on your balcony door!

Sometimes my eyes read ahead before my mind catches up. This time, my eyes saw the words bits and pieces and child, and I thought the worst had happened. Gotta stop reading so fast.

That was always a big huge fear of mine when we were at hotels when DD was little as she was a climber. We tried to stay in hotels without balconies or when we had them not to let her know they were there! We also checked and re-checked to be sure the door was locked because I was terrified that she would sneak out when we weren't looking. I can totally see how a little one could scale that railing trying to get the animals, or just trying to get up on it to lean over to get a closer look at the animals, especially if there are chairs and tables to use to climb on. Hope the child is ok.

Ironically I am working on a layout of DS on the balcony, and back then, it never occurred to me that he could clamber over it or push a chair up to it. He just stood there and looked with his binoculars. Of course, he was 8 and not a climber.

Hope the little girl is okay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter