Chicagoland

BethanyF

DIS Veteran
I know there are several Chicagoland scrappers on here. Do any of you get together for crops or anything? Id love to find some local croppers.
I read the thread about Precious Memories closing and it seems some of you might have bad feelings about the "A place' as you called it. Well, Im spending all day tomororw at the A place in Bloomingdale working on WDW layouts. Does anyone else shop or crop at that store?

I have shopped at Archivers in Orland and I love it. I am not trying to start a debate by saying that. We until the last few months never had a local lss. We have a very small J's and a not very good M's. So when I went to Archivers for the first time I thought I was in heaven. I am a bargain shopper by nature and I still don't by to many things there that are not on sale or in the bargain bin. Not to say I never buy something there not on sale but not often. I did visit my local lss yesterday and support them. But I have to be honest I don't know how they are going to make it with the likes of stores like A's and for the most part EBAY!!! Ebay has everything cheaper. I can get Primas , cm stuff ect... and I always save. I guess I went off on a tangent. I have not tried that particular A's.

Archivers is a good place, and they do have a very good selection, but the few of us that had a "good" LSS that we have been going to for years were just sad and disapointed that we would lose that personal service. (she would order things that you wanted if she didn't regularly carry the item etc) Archivers has a great work room, and many classes that are free or inexpensive (I've been to several of each) its just sad when a big place comes into an area and you loose one of your favorite places to go.
Where I am in Chicago the LSS that is closing is about 30-35 minutes away, and that WAS the closest one. (besides michaels and joannes) So its just sad in that corprate takes the little guy sort of way.... not that Archivers itself is BAD..... cuz god knows they are gonna get a lot of my money after this month!!!!

bcarson said:
So when I went to Archivers for the first time I thought I was in heaven.

when I first started scrapping years ago, we visiting the MOA in MN and I found Archivers and I thought the same thing. I never wanted to leave

bcarson said:
I am a bargain shopper by nature and I still don't by to many things there that are not on sale or in the bargain bin. Not to say I never buy something there not on sale but not often. I did visit my local lss yesterday and support them. But I have to be honest I don't know how they are going to make it with the likes of stores like A's and for the most part EBAY!!! Ebay has everything cheaper. I can get Primas , cm stuff ect... and I always save. I guess I went off on a tangent. I have not tried that particular A's.

I understand and am a great internet/ebay shopper for supplies, but when I get into the Archievers (or my LSS before now) I would be lost and things would just end up in my basket until I paid for them and went home!!!!

I live in a southwest Chicago suburb and would like to meet for a crop. Finding a centralized location may be the way to go. Feb would be a good month for me.

Linda

Not really related to scrap shopping BUT my DH is thinking of getting a job in the Chicago area. Can someone tell me about the Metro Chicago area, housing prices, schools, etc?

Any info is greatly appreciated :goodvibes :goodvibes

If you are considering the Chicago area you should consider working with a real estate agent if you do not know the market. House prices vary greatly from area to area. Taxes also vary greatly which can knock an area out of your price range. The weather here hits all extremes, but that just makes life more interesting! :teeth:

Linda

I really don't want to contact a realtor until we're for sure going since I don't want the constant phone/e-mails. My DH is in the "talking" stage with a couple large companies who have their offices in Chicago - one downtown and the other in Oakland Park (I think that's the name of the town) before I go to a realtor I really want to know what the best areas are to go instead of asking them.

Please note that taxes will be low anywhere for us since we live in Jersey where we pay through the roof and on top we live in the most expensive county in the country which is one of the big reasons to move! :)

czycropper said:
Not really related to scrap shopping BUT my DH is thinking of getting a job in the Chicago area. Can someone tell me about the Metro Chicago area, housing prices, schools, etc?

Any info is greatly appreciated :goodvibes :goodvibes

Do you know which area, North, West, or South.... or Chicago itself??? that would help answer a couple of the questions

but as Mickey's old friend said it vary's SOOO Much.

I loved cropping at Precious Memories. I've cropped at Archivers, too, but I'm not as impressed. It's more expensive and they don't give you as much as the LSS stores do when you go for a crop (discounts, snacks, etc). Plus, PM used to do all day crops which were a lot of fun and she fed you breakfast, lunch and dinner! It just has a cozier feel than Archivers, I guess. But I'm up for anything. I know the store owner from PM Kim is still planning on hopefully hosting crops at rented out places like the American Legion or something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter