Chicago Cubs fans - Rebuilding Year 2023

Kind of related, kind of not, I am currently listening to an audiobook called “Smart Baseball” by Keith Law, which is supposed to be a dummies guide to all the new metrics. I’m maybe a third through with 6 hours (!) left.

So far he’s totally blasted ERA, saves, fielding percentage, RBI, stolen bases, intentional walks, clutch hitting, wins, etc. I think I’m getting close to the end of the break it down part and am waiting for the build up part where he explains the new better WAR / WARP things and bases-saved and so on.

I mention this bc I know TheoJed are big into the secret numbers rather than the old stats but the news articles on possible players tend to list the standard old stats. I’m thinking that if we acquire some seemingly ho-hum arms, that they have their own secret formula : )

Last edited:
Kind of related, kind of not, I am currently listening to an audiobook called “Smart Baseball” by Keith Law, which is supposed to be a dummies guide to all the new metrics. I’m maybe a third through with 6 hours (!) left.

So far he’s totally blasted ERA, saves, fielding percentage, RBI, stolen bases, intentional walks, clutch hitting, wins, etc. I think I’m getting close to the end of the break it down part and am waiting for the build up part where he explains the new better WAR / WARP things and bases-saved and so on.

I mention this bc I know TheoJed are big into the secret numbers rather than the old stats but the news articles on possible players tend to list the standard old stats. I’m thinking that if we acquire some seemingly ho-hum arms, that they have their own secret formula : )

Theo has the knack of picking a winner about 85% of the time, he can size up a player in a heart beat. The man is a Wizard.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WALT DISNEY!!!upload_2017-12-5_10-13-0.jpeg
He would be 119 today! He's from Chicago,
CUBS are from Chicago so I consider it on topic, lol. Plus, two of my favorite quotes from him have gotten me thru some dark times with the Cubs~

“When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.”
"If you can dream it, you can do it"

and another that connects with me, and how I love that baseball lets you be a kid forever.
walt-disney.jpg

Hey everyone!

Just popped in for a quick hello. Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and that you're ready for Christmas! It's coming up fast!

Hey everyone!

Just popped in for a quick hello. Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and that you're ready for Christmas! It's coming up fast!
Hi Kristen! Same for you :goodvibes Personally, I am struggling with gift ideas this year. I think it is because last year was an absolute blast getting Cubs stuff for everyone, lol.:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Cubs acquire Tyler Chatwood

per Bleacher Nation:
Fun fact: in 2016, Chatwood's 1.69 road ERA was *THE* best in baseball.

http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...ree-year-deal-rockies-alex-cobb-shohei-ohtani

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/12/07/cubs-sign-tyler-chatwood-3-year-deal/

With our infield Wall of Wonder and Chatwoods ground ball rate...Cub fan's just received an early Holiday gift :thumbsup2

so far the rotation is Lester ,Hendricks, Quintana, Chatwood, ?

but truth be told, I'm gonna miss Big John....

Last edited:
Chatwood/Chitwood. I’m going to imagine him as Jimmy Chitwood from Hoosiers. In case anyone remembers that movie.

Chatwood/Chitwood. I’m going to imagine him as Jimmy Chitwood from Hoosiers. In case anyone remembers that movie.

My take is Theo conserving funds for next years plethora or FA's.More importantly, by obtaining Chit/Chat , thankfully no trading of the core group had to occur (yet) If we are the dark horse to get Ohtani~ good golly Miss Molly! No core trade AND our SP ? If we don't get Ohtani then still in control with 2 million less than what Big John was...money toward the closer we need be it Wade or another, (Cobb and dare I say Jake?) all possibilities by keeping Chit/Chat under 4.

My take is Theo conserving funds for next years plethora or FA's.More importantly, by obtaining Chit/Chat , thankfully no trading of the core group had to occur (yet) If we are the dark horse to get Ohtani~ good golly Miss Molly! No core trade AND our SP ? If we don't get Ohtani then still in control with 2 million less than what Big John was...money toward the closer we need be it Wade or another, (Cobb and dare I say Jake?) all possibilities by keeping Chit/Chat under 4.

This team as constructed has no chance to win the WS in 2018. I sure hope Theo will do more than sign Jimmy Chitwood.

Otani's signing with the Angels. I'm not surprised at all considering how many Japanese there are in LA and how 'close' it is to Japan. I wish him luck. Frankly, the whole pitcher/fielder thing would have annoyed me so part of me i glad he's gone to an AL team where he can be happy.

Otani's signing with the Angels. I'm not surprised at all considering how many Japanese there are in LA and how 'close' it is to Japan. I wish him luck. Frankly, the whole pitcher/fielder thing would have annoyed me so part of me i glad he's gone to an AL team where he can be happy.

NO-htani it is , lol

I'm sure Theo gave it his best shot. I bet Seattle is a bit surprised. I too, am glad he went AL if not Cub...and now back to your regularly scheduled incessant Bryce Harper rumors.

ETA: Paraphrasing some but a comment on twitter said Seattle, being quite surprised~ compared Ohtani chosing the Angel's to "being left at the alter"

Last edited:
thanks Stanton... Going to NYY just fueled the Bryce/Cub nightmare even more :rolleyes2
Listening to it/seeing it on social media for an entire season is going to be a massive buzzkill and unfortunate distraction. Uggghhhhh
We need pitching , not an injury prone D-bag Diva (who somehow feins injury with his errors~Cabrera error for instance) and is as reliable in RF as the seagulls. All-Star game pop up anyone? He missed an easy play against the Cubs in the playoffs in October. Arenado's triple on an easy play/dropped ball? The guy needs to mature, a LOT...team's can get into his head easily, heck the Cub's did it by walking him all series, lol. No way worth what he want's. Pass Theo..please pass.

Harper! Harper! HARPER!
giphy.gif

Last edited:
thanks Stanton... Going to NYY just fueled the Bryce/Cub nightmare even more :rolleyes2
Listening to it/seeing it on social media for an entire season is going to be a massive buzzkill and unfortunate distraction. Uggghhhhh
We need pitching , not an injury prone D-bag Diva (who somehow feins injury with his errors~Cabrera error for instance) and is as reliable in RF as the seagulls. All-Star game pop up anyone? He missed an easy play against the Cubs in the playoffs in October. Arenado's triple on an easy play/dropped ball? The guy needs to mature, a LOT...team's can get into his head easily, heck the Cub's did it by walking him all series, lol. No way worth what he want's. Pass Theo..please pass.

Harper! Harper! HARPER!
giphy.gif
9a4efc2ff000b1c5110e920b0f152aa571310e8c828363c207e0ee1ebb650db0.jpg

Barf. Yeah..lets replace a 5x GG winner with a overpriced unreliable hot head ego maniac who cant even throw his helmet 20 feet accurately .lol. if they dont want JHey Id move KB to RF before adding a cancer like Harper to the team

Barf. Yeah..lets replace a 5x GG winner with a overpriced unreliable hot head ego maniac who cant even throw his helmet 20 feet accurately .lol. if they dont want JHey Id move KB to RF before adding a cancer like Harper to the team

You're letting your emotions get in the way of evaluating talent. Heyward is a joke and one of Theo's worst signings ever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter