Chef Mickey's- still can't decide

aprilbabes

Mouseketeer
We do many characters meals during our stay with our two little ones. Last year CM definitely was my least favorite as far as the food quality (went for dinner). I was totally unimpressed and said I'd never go back. However, the characters were adorable and some of my favorite photos were taken there with the characters interacting with my kids. This year, I did end up booking ADR there for our first night figuring maybe it would be a fun way to start our trip. However, I'm still on the fence about keeping it. I know it's a matter of personal pop ion, but what would you do?

We do many characters meals during our stay with our two little ones. Last year CM definitely was my least favorite as far as the food quality (went for dinner). I was totally unimpressed and said I'd never go back. However, the characters were adorable and some of my favorite photos were taken there with the characters interacting with my kids. This year, I did end up booking ADR there for our first night figuring maybe it would be a fun way to start our trip. However, I'm still on the fence about keeping it. I know it's a matter of personal pop ion, but what would you do?

Cancel! We were there is October and it is such a huge disappointment. We felt it was the dirtiest restaurant at wdw and food was terrible. We have done all the character dining options and the Garden Grill was really good. Have you done Mickeys backyard BBQ? Your kids might really enjoy that. :)

I would drop that ADR. Take it from a family who gave it three tries....but, it got worse every single time. Yuck, yuck, yuckity, yuck...bad, bad, bad. :scared:

Not too interested in Garden Grill. I may move our park fare dinner ADR to that day instead.

Or... I can make ADR at whispering canyon. We're staying at WL and we've never eaten there. It might be nice to just stay at hotel in evening since its going to be such a loooong day (we have a VERY early flight).
I've read mixed reviews about whispering canyon too though.

Or... I can make ADR at whispering canyon. We're staying at WL and we've never eaten there. It might be nice to just stay at hotel in evening since its going to be such a loooong day (we have a VERY early flight).
I've read mixed reviews about whispering canyon too though.

We stayed at WL in July and ate at WCC, and really enjoyed it! However, it was before the revamped menu/offerings, so I can't vouch for it since the change.

We've done CM twice, both breakfast. I loved with the characters but the food wasn't that great.

I thought Chef Mickey's was good value on the DDP for 1 TS credit. But I don't think I would have paid $180 out of pocket for 3 of us to eat there. For that kind of money I would eat somewhere different.

I thought Chef Mickey's was good value on the DDP for 1 TS credit. But I don't think I would have paid $180 out of pocket for 3 of us to eat there. For that kind of money I would eat somewhere different.

That's what it comes down to, if you're paying OOP there are signatures that you can dine at for the same amount that are so much better.

If you are not a big fan of CMs other than the characters unless you're on the DDP it's not worth it and if you already said to yourself "I'm not going back" last time you should consider another alternative. I'm not a big fan of CMs either or 1900 PF dinner as I think the food is just as mediocre as CMs.

You can do WCC or even consider TE restaurant (buffet) at FW. It's probably the most reasonable "overlooked" buffet in WDW and here's a tip-if you want a little "fun" for the first night, (you would take the boat to FW from WL), have dinner at TE restaurant and after dinner, hop on the bus to the Chip 'n Dale Singalong campfire (lots of fun especially for a first night). And, the kids can meet and greet with Chip 'n Dale. The bus is about a 3 min walk from TE and then not even a 5 min ride to the campfire. The boat ride from WL to FW is nice too.:thumbsup2 (just another alternative ;))

Feel free to check out: Our Trails End Restaurant Experience

We thought the food at Chef mickeys was excellent. For us it is a firm family favorite and a must do every trip. We go for dinner.

We really liked Chef Mickey's for dinner last September. Got so many great pictures as well.

We went in November and we loved it!!! You have to remember you're going there for the kids and the experience! I recommend the breakfast, we really enjoyed it! My two kids under 5 LOVED it and we will definitely go back!!

Have you thought about going for breakfast? The food is at least more tolerable and it's the same character experience.

I wouldn't go back to Chef Mickey's on a bet. We loved it in 2001, so it became a must-do when we returned in 2008, and the quality dropped tremendously. We thought it was just a one-off bad experience, so we went back in '09, and it was the worst. Cold food, weak service, not cleaned up, and that was even at breakfast (which, IMHO, is much harder to screw up.)[/I] As a matter of family consensus (kids included), none of us wanted to go back.

Some people go for just the characters and don't mind paying a premium for it, and that's certainly their prerogative. Not us. I can't justify spending that kind of money for a fleeting glimpse of a Disney character. There are multitude other opportunities for that.

Just my opinion.

I have trouble with this, too. While it is a fun atmosphere, the meal itself is nothing more than Golden Coral, only 8 times as expensive!!:eek: I hate the idea of spending that much $$$ on a meal, especially since my kids only pick at the buffet. We have only had the breakfast there, mainly b/c it's the least expensive of their food options, but I am so close to not going back. It's my husband who really wants to go.

Does Mickey appear at Donald's Breakfastosaurus in AK? I know Donald, Goofy, Pluto are there. If Mickey is there, I'm so pulling the plug on Chef Mickey's!:banana:

I have trouble with this, too. While it is a fun atmosphere, the meal itself is nothing more than Golden Coral, only 8 times as expensive!!:eek: I hate the idea of spending that much $$$ on a meal, especially since my kids only pick at the buffet. We have only had the breakfast there, mainly b/c it's the least expensive of their food options, but I am so close to not going back. It's my husband who really wants to go.

Does Mickey appear at Donald's Breakfastosaurus in AK? I know Donald, Goofy, Pluto are there. If Mickey is there, I'm so pulling the plug on Chef Mickey's!:banana:

I don't know about Breakfastosaurus but breakfast at Tusker House has replaced Chef Mickey's for us. We all love the food and got great character interactions with Mickey, Goofy, Donald and Daisy! Add in early park admission with an 8:00 reservation and it wins every time.

Answered my own question! Donald's Breakfast is at Tusker House. It was at a different location the last time we did it. We actually have that planned for our AK day, so guess I better start working on DH to ditch Chef Mickey's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter