Checking mobility scooter on plane

cdurham1

Most magical at the most magical place on Earth
DVC Platinum
I am finally deciding to purchase an ECV. I think I am going to get the Pride iride 2, which is very minimal and lightweight.

For air travel, I know I can gate check it, but I am also wondering if it can be a good idea just to check it like luggage. I can walk with a cane thru security, to my gate, etc.

Is there a bigger risk of damage if checking it vs gate checking? If luggage checking, do I need to disassemble it? What do you do with the seat?

Any opinions? Pros/cons of either choice?

I think gate checking is the best idea. It’s going to be one of the last things in storage and first out. We’ve done it a few times with no problems.
Thanks for the advice. Does she always gate check it? Does she ever check it like luggage? Is the security process when she brings it with her a pain?

I am finally deciding to purchase an ECV. I think I am going to get the Pride iride 2, which is very minimal and lightweight.
I may be looking to make a similar purchase. This model isn't considered a medical device; the bigger models are. What does that mean?

Does anyone have an opinion of similar models from other mfg?

Last edited:

Thanks for the advice. Does she always gate check it? Does she ever check it like luggage? Is the security process when she brings it with her a pain?
Yes, always gate checked. Much less time and distance out of our hands.

Security was easy. They basically just check it’s normal batteries and nothing against regulations. Quick and painless.

I’ve done 12 round trips to Orlando with my Pride Go-Go Sport with SWA. No problems. Just be sure to note on your reservation that you have a motorized wheelchair/ECV and what type of batteries. When you get to the airport, they will want to look at it and fill out a form as to its condition. You will also need to get a gate check luggage tag before you board. You will be asked several times how much it weighs.
They always have me pre-board so they have time to move the ECV to the cargo hold and out of the way for those boarding after me. At Orlando, I stay in my seat since it takes a while for the ECVs and strollers to come up. Otherwise you have to find an out of the way spot to stand outside of the plane door while waiting. With all the stroller parents, it’s just best for me to wait IN the plane, not at the door. Once the plane is about 3/4 empty, my ECV is usually ready.

I may be looking to make a similar purchase. This model isn't considered a medical device; the bigger models are. What does that mean?

Does anyone have an opinion of similar models from other mfg?
There are specific classes of mobility devices with definitions for each class. Devices that don’t fit the definition are not considered a medical device and insurance won’t pay for them.
In general, it’s because it’s standard or basic, comes in limited sizes and has very little adjustability.
Devices that are considered medical devices, in general have more choices or adjustability to fit individual needs.
Because it’s not a medical device, you don’t have to jump thru the hoops of getting doctor’s orders and documentation of why you need it. You are free to choose the device you feel best fits your needs - instead of being told which device is covered.

Pride is a reputable company that has been making ECVs for many, many years (and Jazzy wheelchairs for at least 20). They are a safe company to purchase from and you should be able to find dealers that sell and service them without much problem

Devices that are considered medical devices, in general have more choices or adjustability to fit individual needs.
I'll check Prides site later. Does the model mentioned in this thread offer seat or tiller adjustments to accomodate riders of different heights?. What other adjustments are we talking about?

My wife recently flew to Mexico on SWA with her Pride mobility scooter. They pretty much would not let her check it at the counter. Gate checking was the only option. IN addition to other things mentioned here, I would suggest putting an Airtag on it so you know it made it on the aircraft and you know where it might be if it gets misplaced. They told us when we got off the plane in Cancun that they couldn't bring it up to the gate and it would be at baggage claim. Well, it wasn't there and an hour later they found it. We now have an Airtag on it.

I'll check Prides site later. Does the model mentioned in this thread offer seat or tiller adjustments to accomodate riders of different heights?. What other adjustments are we talking about?
I didn‘t look at what features that model has. Seat and tiller adjustments (like tilt or adjusting for shorter or taller people would not usually make an item into a medical device.

My daughter can’t walk at all and currently has a custom power and custom manual wheelchair. What makes them custom include:
- choice of seating components and sizes. Her manual chair has a hybrid gel seat designed to prevent pressure injuries. The power chair seat uses air cells for the same purpose. They were sized to fit her (14 inch width and 17 inch dept)

- sized specifically for her. Her manual wheelchair was made individually for her (width, depth, balance point, camber/how far wheels tilt out, type of footrest, etc.)

- power Wheelchair has multiple programmable settings and programs for basic things like top speed, turning speed, how quickly it accelerates and decelerates. Her first chair had those basic things; her current one has additional programs for stand, tilt, raise up, etc.
My wife recently flew to Mexico on SWA with her Pride mobility scooter. They pretty much would not let her check it at the counter. Gate checking was the only option. IN addition to other things mentioned here, I would suggest putting an Airtag on it so you know it made it on the aircraft and you know where it might be if it gets misplaced. They told us when we got off the plane in Cancun that they couldn't bring it up to the gate and it would be at baggage claim. Well, it wasn't there and an hour later they found it. We now have an Airtag on it.
Keep in mind that the AirTag needs to be in range of an iPhone or iPad to ‘register’.
We had gotten an AirTag for our daughter’s wheelchair before our trip in October.
It registered at our home airport when we left it at the gate. When we landed at Orlando, it registered on my phone with the ‘last known location‘ as our home airport.
I wasn’t too worried until the baggage handlers said they didn’t have any other wheelchairs, pointed to a big, heavy, generic black nursing home type wheelchair and insisted it ‘must be yours and you just don’t recognize it’. I told them hers was a bright blue custom chair with stars on the wheels and I could show them pictures of it. One of them kept insisting I must be mistaken or maybe had not checked it because they had unloaded all the chairs.
At that point, my husband (inside the plane with DD) asked a flight attendant what the hold up was because they had told him all the wheelchairs were unloaded. The flight attendant said not to worry - we could use an airport wheelchair and they would rent us one if hers wasn’t found. DH pointed out that DD is a pretty small person (5 feet tall, 84 pounds) and needs her own ($7000 custom wheelchair) to sit.
The pilot overheard, went down the baggage stairs and came up carrying the wheelchair himself - he said there was a place the baggage handlers had not checked. As soon as I got near with my phone, the AirTag registered that it was with me.

Keep in mind that the AirTag needs to be in range of an iPhone or iPad to ‘register’.
We had gotten an AirTag for our daughter’s wheelchair before our trip in October.
It registered at our home airport when we left it at the gate. When we landed at Orlando, it registered on my phone with the ‘last known location‘ as our home airport.
I wasn’t too worried until the baggage handlers said they didn’t have any other wheelchairs, pointed to a big, heavy, generic black nursing home type wheelchair and insisted it ‘must be yours and you just don’t recognize it’. I told them hers was a bright blue custom chair with stars on the wheels and I could show them pictures of it. One of them kept insisting I must be mistaken or maybe had not checked it because they had unloaded all the chairs.
At that point, my husband (inside the plane with DD) asked a flight attendant what the hold up was because they had told him all the wheelchairs were unloaded. The flight attendant said not to worry - we could use an airport wheelchair and they would rent us one if hers wasn’t found. DH pointed out that DD is a pretty small person (5 feet tall, 84 pounds) and needs her own ($7000 custom wheelchair) to sit.
The pilot overheard, went down the baggage stairs and came up carrying the wheelchair himself - he said there was a place the baggage handlers had not checked. As soon as I got near with my phone, the AirTag registered that it was with me.
True, the airtag does need to be within about 30' of Find My device. I have known people to use it for luggage and it registered fine. For about $30, better to have it than not have it.

When I was considering purchasing my own first ECV, I happened to speak to an author at a SF Con who travels frequently with an ECV. She advised to ALWAYS gate check your ECV. Also, if you change planes, request your ECV be brought to you from the first plane and gate check again on the next plane. She had an airline lose her ECV during a plane change, and it took 10 days for them to find it and get it to her. When you gate check, you ride your ECV to the door of the plane, and it is then taken down a lift and loaded on the same plane you just boarded.

Losing an ECV for an extended period is very rare but it only takes once to ruin your whole trip.

When I was considering purchasing my own first ECV, I happened to speak to an author at a SF Con who travels frequently with an ECV. She advised to ALWAYS gate check your ECV. Also, if you change planes, request your ECV be brought to you from the first plane and gate check again on the next plane. She had an airline lose her ECV during a plane change, and it took 10 days for them to find it and get it to her. When you gate check, you ride your ECV to the door of the plane, and it is then taken down a lift and loaded on the same plane you just boarded.

Losing an ECV for an extended period is very rare but it only takes once to ruin your whole trip.
Our main concern with gate checking was that we always saw them use a slide to get gate checked luggage down. We didn't want them using that for the ECV LOL. We were then told that they have a lift and actually saw it in action at FLL when they brought the ECV back up. Apparently they didn't have a lift in Cancun and thus how they lost the ECV for a short period of time. The language barrier didn't help either.

Thanks for the info about what to do if you change flights. I know that from our tiny airport, there are very few direct flights-and never to WDW. But I'm somewhat concerned about the extra time I'll spend waiting for my scooter, worried about making my next flight. Is allowing a longer layover time the only reasonable answer?
On my last flight I gate checked my walker, and they took a long time to bring it out. The wheelchair attendant kept saying "Oh don't worry-they'll bring it to the next plane." You make me glad I waited.

Thanks for the info about what to do if you change flights. I know that from our tiny airport, there are very few direct flights-and never to WDW. But I'm somewhat concerned about the extra time I'll spend waiting for my scooter, worried about making my next flight. Is allowing a longer layover time the only reasonable answer?
On my last flight I gate checked my walker, and they took a long time to bring it out. The wheelchair attendant kept saying "Oh don't worry-they'll bring it to the next plane." You make me glad I waited.
Leaving time between connections is best. In many cases the scooter will be the last thing brought up.

For air travel, I know I can gate check it, but I am also wondering if it can be a good idea just to check it like luggage. I can walk with a cane thru security, to my gate, etc.

Is there a bigger risk of damage if checking it vs gate checking? If luggage checking, do I need to disassemble it? What do you do with the seat?

Any opinions? Pros/cons of either choice?
Pride shows the I ride as discontinued. May still be some in stock. Before buying check will drive in reverse? Does it have auto brakes or hand brakes like a bicycle.

PP has it correct i.Ride 2 replaces i Ride. Main changes seat has a back and can drive R

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter