Check out this deal at CVS, especially pharm techs

ShellyLynn3630

DIS Veteran
Ok, so I need to lose a few pounds. Crap, I need to lose like 40lbs!:laughing:
Well I went to a local weight loss clinic and the doctor prescribe me 180 count of 35m of Plegin. I went to CVS and dropped off the script and went back later to pick it up. Well, they wanted like 65 bucks for it.:scared1: I freaked. So I told them that I just wanted my script back and I would shop around for a better price. Well my husband told me to just go back and get it filled that night and with my next visit I will ask for a cheaper script from my doctor. So I took it back in and let them fill it. When it rang up, 11 bucks. I was in shock. The clerk told me that the pharmacist did something different to it. Then when I got it, it was 180 count of Phendimetrazine 35 mg. I really don't know what to think. I wonder if they are the same drug. Any pharm techs please chime in.

They just gave you generic instead of brand name. Should work just fine.

Plegine

Generic Name: phendimetrazine (fen di MEH tra zeen)
Brand Names: Adipost, Anorex-SR, Appecon, Bontril PDM, Bontril Slow Release, Melfiat, Obezine, Phendiet, Plegine, Prelu-2, Statobex

Sorry..i dont want to steal the thread from the OP but what is this drug? Hmm never heard of it.:rolleyes1:idea:

I don't understand how? 65 bucks vs 11?:confused3:confused3

Let's say, using your scenario, and I really am making up these numbers just to show you how, but the brand name drug company charges CVS $63 and the generic was $3....I know that the pharmacy will automatically give you generic unless you walk in and stipulate you want brand.

Let's say, using your scenario, and I really am making up these numbers just to show you how, but the brand name drug company charges CVS $63 and the generic was $3....I know that the pharmacy will automatically give you generic unless you walk in and stipulate you want brand.

Unless the MD wrote "Do Not Substitute" on the script, in which case the PharmD called the MD and asked to switch to generic. Not all MDs are aware that there may be a generic alternative to the med they prescribe and will automatically check the "DNS" box.

I was a pharm tech for many years, and I still work for a pharmacy and handle scripts...seen this happen many times...

Unless the MD wrote "Do Not Substitute" on the script, in which case the PharmD called the MD and asked to switch to generic. Not all MDs are aware that there may be a generic alternative to the med they prescribe and will automatically check the "DNS" box.

I was a pharm tech for many years, and I still work for a pharmacy and handle scripts...seen this happen many times...

Absolutely correct. I was speaking in generalities regarding brand vs generic.

Ummm, not completely true.

Until a couple of years ago I underwrote healthcare plans on a national platform.

It totally depends upon where you live and/or who your insurance carrier is.

Some states and/or insurance plans have a mandatory generic provision whereby the pharmacist MUST substitute a generic unless the script is written as DNS. I think 38 states have this provision. I know Massachusetts is one and I've underwrote the policy for a very large retail chain that put in this provision with their self-funded plan. In other states, they can only dispense the drug as written, if it's written as a brand then the pharmacist must dispense a brand - unless the insurance plan has a mandatory generic provision. Then in still more states the pharmacist and/or patient has a choice and can go with either the generic or the brand.

And all I can say to defend my position on mandatory generic not being a national thing is that I'm still seeing policies with mandatory generic provisions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter