Check my math on Premier Passport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thmcdonald1

Mouseketeer
My wife and I are definitely going on two trips this year:

WDW from Oct 29 to Nov 2nd
DLR from Nov 10th to 13th (for the Avengers Half Marathon).

We're considering adding a third trip in April of 2018 to do the Dark Side Half Marathon weekend at WDW.

As we're considering adding the third trip, it's occurred to me that it may be cheaper to just buy a Premiere Passport. So, I did the breakdown for tickets:

First WDW Trip Park Tickets: $868
Disneyland Trip: $654
Second WDW Trip Park Tickets: $849.50

First WDW Photopass: $150
DLR Photopass: $78
Second WDW Photopass: $150

Total for all three trips: $2,749.5

Total for two Premier Passports: $2,878

So, once you factor in any possible trips before October 29th 2018 and dining/shopping discounts for the three trips, it's just about breaking even.

Right?

If so, a couple of questions:

1.) I've booked a trip with the absolutely amazing MEI/Mousefan. Do they sell Premier passports?

2.) If not, who does?

3.) If I currently have a trip plan booked with hotel / tickets / dining plan bundled, will getting the premier passports shoot that plan? My mom and 3 year old are also going and on the bundled plan, but they will not be going on the later trips, so will not be getting the premier passports.

I'm excited at the opportunity to be temporarily an AP, but man is this stuff confusing!

1.) I've booked a trip with the absolutely amazing MEI/Mousefan. Do they sell Premier passports?

2.) If not, who does?

I think only Disney itself sells APs.

3.) If I currently have a trip plan booked with hotel / tickets / dining plan bundled, will getting the premier passports shoot that plan? My mom and 3 year old are also going and on the bundled plan, but they will not be going on the later trips, so will not be getting the premier passports.

You can wait until you arrive at your first trip to upgrade to AP. They will apply those ticket costs to the cost of an AP. I think you can do it up until your last day, but for discounts it makes more sense to do it on the first day. You should also check if you would be able to get a AP discount on room. They haven't been released yet for Oct-Nov, but I think are typically 5% more than the regular room discount. I don't know if you can apply that to a travel agent booking though-you should check with them.

If I currently have a trip plan booked with hotel / tickets / dining plan bundled, will getting the premier passports shoot that plan?

If getting a package that includes tickets at WDW you do have to have the same tickets for everyone. You can then upgrade tickets. But if you have a package books for DLR or WDW, you'll end up just saving them for the future. (now that even WDW tickets have expiration dates, it seems that for both if you use them after the expiration date you'll get credit for what you paid for them when you go to use them in the future, but that's done at the parks) I personally would change plans if the package is after that first trip.

Now compare it with WDW APs (which include photopass) and DLR tickets+photopass.

Premier is RARELY worth it for just one trip to the other coast.

Have you looking into just a FL AP for the two trips there and tickets for DL? Like perviously posted, one trip to the other coast often isn't worth it. I have premier because I'm a so cal local so signature plus is 1050 and a single 4 day hopper for WDW is 475 so that alone would break me even, the $120 I saved on club villain, plus $150 for photopass made it an easy choice...but california is the expensive part, so with just one trip out here, it might not balance.

We're considering adding a third trip in April of 2018 to do the Dark Side Half Marathon weekend at WDW.

As we're considering adding the third trip, it's occurred to me that it may be cheaper to just buy a Premiere Passport. So, I did the breakdown for tickets:

So, once you factor in any possible trips before October 29th 2018 and dining/shopping discounts for the three trips, it's just about breaking even.

Right?

2.) If not, who does?

I'm excited at the opportunity to be temporarily an AP, but man is this stuff confusing!

I'm not in a mood to run the numbers myself, but try running the numbers for WDW Platinum passes plus regular tickets for DL plus DL Photopass. That may end up less than buying the premier passports, especially if you can get the platinum instead of the platinum plus at WDW (no water parks).

And as far as #3 goes...at WDW everyone in the room needs to be on the same package if you book a package, which you won't want to do if some of you have Annual passes.

Right?

2.) If not, who does?

For the DL trip, will you have a car? Parking is $20 a day so factor that in as well. You are only going for 4 days, so it might not be worth it to get the Premier (but still cool to have... we are upgrading our Signature passes this year.. SoCal locals, though). Also, are you planning on spending a lot of dining and shopping at DL? Discounts are up to 20% at DL.

It looks like your best bet would be the following:

Trip #1
Person A upgrades his/her package tickets to a Platinum AP at WDW.
Person B uses package tickets.

Trip #2
Person A buys DLR tickets and Photopass.
Person B buys DLR tickets.

Trip #3
Person A uses Platinum Pass
Person B buys MYW tickets.

If you add a 2nd DLR trip, do the same thing.
If you add a 4th WDW trip, person B should upgrade to Platinum.

If your main goal is saving money, you should only get Premier APs if you are going on a 3rd DLR trip.

Last edited:

for what it is worth...we moved to Cali late last summer. I know late in the fall, I was getting adfds for APs that were buy one get an extra month free. (so 13 months) I don't know if it is an annual sale. I am pretty sure I have heard of it before. but not sure of the "sale dates," but it did say the count down didn't begin until first use. Maybe an extra month gives you time for another trip!

I am not sure if this will help or not but we were going to get Premier annual pass in aug of 2016 on a trip to DL because like you I added everything up and it made sense we had another trip to DL in Oct and trip to DW in Dec. I decided to add the two together separate and the difference between getting them seperate or as a Premier was not very much. I decided to get them seperate that way I didn't waste 5 months of the DW part. It paid off we got 13 months and ended up with enough trips to make them pay for themselves. Just something to think about.

We are in a very similar position to you in regard to the annual passes for both coasts. With 2-3 trips, we break even.

2.) If not, who does?

The only place that sells the Premier Passports is Disneyland and Disney World. You have to put them in person. You can buy the AP's for each park and then upgrade to the Premier Passport at any Guest Relations.

You can upgrade your ticket at anytime at a Guest Relations window. You don't need to upgrade all the tickets.

I have been wondering these same things! I'm mostly a DLR person, I have a labor day week trip planned to DLR, but then a 4 day at WDW in April 2018. I pay for my Disney tickets by buying Gift cards at sams club at a slight discount so my final cash price for a Premier Passport would be about $1415. I was already planning on buying at least a Signature AP ($850) because in spring 2018 they are removing Saturdays from the Deluxe AP, if I add the WDW 4 day tickets ($425), even at a discount I would only come out about $140 Over those two trips with a Premier Passport. I'm ok w/ that because of the Maxpass, Photopass, discounts etc will even it out but here is my conundrum: Is there a way to pay for the DLR part and later for the WDW part to maximize my AP time? So far I've not found a good answer to see about not wasting the first 7 months of my WDW other than just planning another trip there. I could buy one DLR Signature in Sept and a WDW Platinum in April but I'd be paying $1630 or 1560 w/ the gift card discount. IS THERE ANY WAY AROUND THIS? I feel like they have it pretty locked in but I just don't want to miss out on a better way. Help?

I have been wondering these same things! I'm mostly a DLR person, I have a labor day week trip planned to DLR, but then a 4 day at WDW in April 2018. I pay for my Disney tickets by buying Gift cards at sams club at a slight discount so my final cash price for a Premier Passport would be about $1415. I was already planning on buying at least a Signature AP ($850) because in spring 2018 they are removing Saturdays from the Deluxe AP, if I add the WDW 4 day tickets ($425), even at a discount I would only come out about $140 Over those two trips with a Premier Passport. I'm ok w/ that because of the Maxpass, Photopass, discounts etc will even it out but here is my conundrum: Is there a way to pay for the DLR part and later for the WDW part to maximize my AP time? So far I've not found a good answer to see about not wasting the first 7 months of my WDW other than just planning another trip there. I could buy one DLR Signature in Sept and a WDW Platinum in April but I'd be paying $1630 or 1560 w/ the gift card discount. IS THERE ANY WAY AROUND THIS? I feel like they have it pretty locked in but I just don't want to miss out on a better way. Help?
If I were you, I'd get a LMTClub 5-day DLR ticket now, upgrade it to a Signature or Deluxe at the park with gift cards, and then get a discounted 7-day PH WDW ticket from a 3rd party seller and bridge it to a Platinum AP at WDW using gift cards, and when your DLR expires, upgrade your WDW pass to a Premier at DLR using gift cards.

Mmmmm, smart plan!! That could be the best option for me to stretch my time a bit. Thanks! If I upgrade on the last day of my purchased tickets the pass will start the last day but my total ticket price will be applied to the pass right?

They apply your total ticket price. I enjoyed this thread, I have a DL AP and plan at least 2 trips to WDW this year and now I'm going to go Premiere!!

Because the OP of this thread has already purchased his Premier Passes,
closing this outdated thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter