Cheapness In Seattle (A 2019 PNW Trip Report - 2020 update added on 6/25

Oohhh… And you've seen so many spectacular sights! This can only mean...

Yep. It's about food.

I actually don't think you're kidding here.
At all.

Maybe a slight exaggeration. But these are so much better than the new ones.

Whoa. That looks good!

::yes::

I was so sure this was foreboding!

I knew it! Just because the highway department was involved...

Oh sure. Up here it's "Surprise! You're going to be late, now."

I know, nobody likes being stuck in traffic. If we could build the improvements offsite and air-drop them into place, we would.

Whoa. That's a cool shot, btw.

Hey, thanks!

Yep. Very nice. I like it.
What was the scale like on that? Kinda hard to tell from the photo.

It's not huge. I just looked it up, and the falls are 48 ft. (14.6 m) high.

Who are these strange people with you and Julie?
I've met your kids and they're smaller.

You're not kidding. I can't believe how fast they grew. And they eat everything in sight!

And were met by werewolves.

I'm sad that I know that.

I am so, so proud of the fact I had to google this to find out what you were talking about.

Weren't you just asking me if creativity was dead?
So, obviously not!

Clearly! Right up there with Thing 1 and Thing 2.

Yusss!!!!!
No Oblivious Family trip is complete without them.

Unfortunately, this is true.

At least you don't have to carry a toddler while doing it any more.

Or... did you?

No, thank goodness.

I did occasionally have to give a 5-year-old a piggyback ride, though.

Actually... I really like that photo. Pretty cool to see that much driftwood.

Thanks! It was certainly a unique spot.

Beautiful shot!!

And thanks again!

I bet! I've never done anything like that.

You don't get many opportunities, that's for sure. I think that was my favorite part of the park.

I'm not at all surprised.

Hey!

But it does happen.

Case in point.

I can't deny it.

Hmmm... so... were you happy or sad about that?

Happy. I didn't bring any rain gear.

Well... I get that.

But... nothing is going to keep you from sounding like uncultured swine.

Also true. I largely bring that upon myself. Case in point with the "oak" rant.

But I still have no idea what oak is supposed to taste like in wine.

Of course. Because how much could BBQ cost, anyway?

Depends how many plates my kids order.

I don't drink anything but sweet white wines, so don't ask me!
But I have a feeling you might be poking the bear on this one.

Those are the only kind I would ever drink as well.

I can't help it! Poking fun at foodie culture is one of my favorite running gags. And those who enjoy it...well, they tend to give me back as good as they get.

Reminds me of our meal at Boma.
so many choices! DW and both DDs ate nothing but mac n cheese.

:sad2: Exactly like my 'Ohana experience.

But of course. Why would you not?

Can't think of a reason.

I'd like to get into that as well, but...
I can't justify the cash outlay for a good smoker given that I'm pretty much the only one who would eat anything from it.
One DD doesn't eat meat, the other doesn't eat much. DW doesn't eat much meat anymore either.

Yeah, I understand. I mostly break it out for company just because it usually ends up being a large amount of meat. But it does make a difference when everyone else in the family enjoys it.

Yep. It's about food.
But of course...
I knew it! Just because the highway department was involved...
What do you mean... "Just"...
I know, nobody likes being stuck in traffic. If we could build the improvements offsite and air-drop them into place, we would.
Hmmm... So why don't you? You just said it... do it!
It's not huge. I just looked it up, and the falls are 48 ft. (14.6 m) high.
Bigger than I thought.
You're not kidding. I can't believe how fast they grew. And they eat everything in sight!
I believe you!
I am so, so proud of the fact I had to google this to find out what you were talking about.
Lucky.
Remind me to tell you of the movie... wait... movies experience(s).
No, thank goodness.

I did occasionally have to give a 5-year-old a piggyback ride, though.
Ouch.
Well... occasional isn't too bad.
You don't get many opportunities, that's for sure. I think that was my favorite part of the park.
Not surprised.
Also true. I largely bring that upon myself. Case in point with the "oak" rant.
:laughing:
But I still have no idea what oak is supposed to taste like in wine.
Woody.
Depends how many plates my kids order.
Whoops! Fair point.
I can't help it! Poking fun at foodie culture is one of my favorite running gags. And those who enjoy it...well, they tend to give me back as good as they get.
:laughing:

replace the tree with a cinnamon roll below.

Yes! Exactly! :rotfl:

I find that is the downside to hiking the coast (at least in So Cal) - you start and go downhill.....then it's all uphill on the way back.

Yeah...it's the same as hiking at the Grand Canyon. You're almost afraid to start, because you know every step is going to make it that much worse coming back.

I still do not understand the point of phones in the bathroom at older hotels.

Looks like you all had a successful day.

:confused3

Maybe it's in case you get into a situation like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon 2?

We sure did cover a lot of ground that day!

Bahahahhahahaha! Fantastic writing! The Hunter Thompson of Disboards. It truly helps my days go better.

Oh, my goodness. Thank you very much for saying that--you're way too kind. I certainly don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as him or any other professional author, but it's very gratifying to hear you're enjoying it so much. Thanks.

I refer, of course, not to the national park, but the fact that this particular Holiday Inn Express had apparently not gotten the corporate memo that they had sold out to Cinnabon and their crappy leftover lumps of dough.
And I can already tell you which hotel on this trip is going to score the best marks from the Oblivious Family.
And we may or may not have taken a few extra for the road.
By a few extra, you mean all of them, right?
Nowadays, your local DOT works so hard to make good information on road project available to the public in a myriad of ways that it’s virtually impossible to be caught off-guard by delays, and I know all of you appreciate that hard work just as much as I do.
:rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao:
The hike is just shy of a mile, and is a fairly gentle walk through the forest to a wooden bridge over a point where the Sol Duc River has cut a small gorge into a rock wall. It’s not a long or tall waterfall, but it certainly is a beautiful one. We were all very glad we’d made time to do this hike.

DSC_3000.JPG
:faint: That wood bridge looks kind of sketchy to me! :rolleyes1
We followed directions to a parking area for “Second Beach”, the middle beach in a line of three sandy areas starting with…wait for it…First Beach and ending with Third Beach.
I like when things are named something that, 1. I can pronounce, 2. is logical.
The tide was out, which enabled us to walk all the way up to several of the stacks. Up close, we found it was best to stay a few feet back, as they were covered with a lot of smelly barnacles. But it was still a neat experience to be able to approach them and walk that close to them. It’s a gorgeous beach and a gorgeous coastline—a perfect spot to wander on a lazy summer day.
Looks like a neat area to get to do some exploration.
We gave her a couple of extra water bottles we had on us—one for washing and one for re-hydrating, and wished her well. Every parent has been there.
::yes:: That sucks. Glad you guys could offer some assistance.
Article III, paragraph 7(a) states that each dining location should be chosen without regard to price—only the finest, most outstanding delicacies shall be considered. We crave adventurous meals that challenge the palate, creating new combinations and taste sensations that could never be achieved anywhere else, naturally with a perfect wine pairing to match. We certainly would never pass up the chance to find a wine with a delicate nose, and notes of oak, with earthy undertones.
Between your palate and the Budget Committee???
Anyway, Article III, paragraph 7(b) tells you to then have a good laugh, check out the price for experiences like that, and throw the idea out since your kid is only going to order mac-and-cheese anyway. The rule of thumb is simply to look for the restaurant with the giant pig out front.
Ok, that's what I thought!
Whenever I go to a BBQ joint, I’m looking at the menu for a sampler platter. I’m always hoping I can at least try the pulled pork and beef brisket, which are my favorite bbq items.
::yes:: I enjoy some good ribs too, but can't go wrong with pulled pork and brisket!
Our favorite touch was the toilet phone, a convenient feature that ensured you’d never miss a minute of any important conversation. Perhaps your companion on the other end of the line can be treated to some delightful background noises as well.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Your claiming to be a Billionaire worked?
Someone gave you a large sum of money?

Sadly...no.

Oh. Well, that's pretty good too.

You take your wins where you can get them.

You can neither confirm nor deny?

Precisely.

I'm sure we don't appreciate as much as you do. I think you might be a bit biased.

Now where would you get an idea like that?

Wow, tha's pretty cool. Almost like a tunnel with no top.

Yeah, it was a neat forest. Those trees were huge.

Why were there no other ducks there? Did you kill them? Eat them? Scare them away with a l'orange sauce?

I couldn't say for sure, but I hear they taste like chicken.

When I first looked at that picture, not knowing the scale, directly above the right falls, I thought someone was standing on the log/tree and bending over. (wearing red pants and a dark shirt/jacket)

Oh, I see what you mean. I think some people did eventually climb out there, because people are terrible about stuff like that. But the falls aren't huge. The drop is 48 ft.

Probably

Not

:sad2:

Best you stayed back. They're also very sharp and can hurt if touched.

The smell alone was enough to keep us away!

At least it wasn't uphill both directions. Or was it?

No, that was my walk to school.

Those are always cute pictures!

It's fun now because he understands what's going on and is excited to collect the badges.

Well duh. Giant pig = good, doesn't it?

Sure does in my book.

I get the strange impression the budget committee and the interior decorations committee have the same board member(s).

That's the problem with trying to get approvals. One person with power can sway a multitude of committees.

I'm more of a brisket fan myself, but then again I've always liked beef more than pork.

I'm sure they encouraged you to get a double helping of beans.

I prefer brisket too, but it's also easier to mess up. Pork is pretty forgiving.

We have zero scholarships so far, so I can't release any funds.
Yeah, that’s how we got where we are.

Lifebuoy on the other hand...
Yuugh…

we were greeted with the sight of the original, far superior cinnamon rolls just waiting for us to eat them. We greeted our long-lost travel companions with the joy of a family welcoming home a soldier from a long tour of duty.
Idyllic metaphor there… I s’pect that the reality was more like a pack of hounds having gotten into an upturned barrel of kibble.

And we may or may not have taken a few extra for the road.
Thus elevating you above the hounds
(and I’d have driven up there and dope-slapped you if you hadn’t)

We got out the door from Sequim fairly early, and with good reason—the park website had warned of road construction on US 101 at Lake Crescent that could cause up to 3-hour delays. The construction work was supposed to start at 9 a.m. and we had an hour drive to get there, so as long as we left before 8:00, we’d be good.
We got caught by that little trap on the way back from the shore. Work was scheduled to be done by 5pm, but apparently they decided to work late that day…

At least we were stuck by an overlook out onto the lake so there was scenery for the gawking and of course conversation to pass the time.

Lake Crescent looked very pretty from the road, by the way.

View attachment 448823
We stopped at the Ranger Station on Crescent Lake.
It is right pur-tty…

The clarity of the water also amazed us (I guarantee there ain’t no lakes ‘round where I live where you can see through to the bottom like this…

We went about 10-15 miles until the road dead-ended at a trailhead for Sol Duc (pronounced Sole Duck) Falls.
Thought about that one as well, but there was a bit of roadwork scheduled up around the turn-out back then, so we settled for this one instead…

Back to the van, and we drove another 90 minutes out towards the small town of La Push. Most of the land in Olympic National Park is contiguous, but there is also a long stretch of Washington’s coastline that is protected as park land as well. We followed directions to a parking area for “Second Beach”, the middle beach in a line of three sandy areas starting with…wait for it…First Beach and ending with Third Beach.
Marketing Genius!
(I bet that the indigenous peoples had really boring names for those places back before culture and civilization arrived)

We were in the same area but chose to hit the beach just to the north of the river outlet there.

The hike took us through more pine forest for the majority of its length, and then we started descending a series of steep switchbacks as we reached the coast line. I knew this climb back up wasn’t going to be much fun.
And that’s one of the reasons we went to Rialto Beach instead; much easier access.
The other main difference though is that Rialto is covered in stones rather than being sandy.
A bit more work to walk on it for any distance, but otherwise just as gorgeous

We have nothing like this on the Atlantic coast. I find them to be both beautiful and fascinating.
And that right there is the truth of it.

The tide was out, which enabled us to walk all the way up to several of the stacks. Up close, we found it was best to stay a few feet back, as they were covered with a lot of smelly barnacles.
<snicker> Good travel tip there .

Oddly, this reminded me of something from the Neolithic ages back when I was a young’en. The garbage trucks that serviced the area I lived in at the time all had sizable stickers plastered on their back sides that read: “Caution, this truck has bad breath””

While there, another mom and her son came up the trail and waited to use the facilities. Then her son turned to the side and barfed on the sidewalk.
The NPS must need to put up some of those warning signs like they have along the trails over at the Grand Canyon.

I feel like I should mention that this doesn’t often happen when people meet us for the first time.
I’m sure it was just coincidence.

Every parent has been there.
Well now, that’s true
Like I said earlier, I tend to give folks with young’ens a bit of a pass in most instances.
We’ve trod in those shoes and they’re rather worn.

Anyway, Article III, paragraph 7(b) tells you to then have a good laugh, check out the price for experiences like that, and throw the idea out since your kid is only going to order mac-and-cheese anyway.
Which is precisely why Article III, paragraph 7(b) always carries more weight in our Kangaroo Court of household law.

The rule of thumb is simply to look for the restaurant with the giant pig out front.
Or an X-Wing fighter.
Both are considered good omens.

I can never resist a good BBQ joint
Like a Siren’s Call…
leading us straight onto the rocks of certain over-indulgent peril.

All Hail Gluttony!

I keep trying to move our home decorating in that direction but it’s always vetoed by the Budget Committee. And also the Interior Decorations Committee.
I can’t imagine why that would be.

I’ve found that the more I get into smoking meats at home on my own, the more I want to try other places to see what they’re doing. Of all the attempts at new hobbies over the years, BBQ seems to be the one I’ve enjoyed the most.
You’ve just about sold me. If I had the extra bucks, I’d look into getting a smoker.
Maybe in the spring (assuming I’m still employed, that is).

I also got some fries and some beans, because they’re very good for your heart. My family was really happy I had ordered them as well, since we’d all be sleeping in one room together that night.
You were just looking out for their best interest here.
Imagine how hard it would have been on them hauling your carcass around for the rest of the trip if you’d have expired due to a heart attack. Just getting you strapped to the roof of the Caravan would have been quite the ordeal.

Everything was good—in an upset, the pork was actually better than their brisket (but to be fair, brisket is much harder to get right).
Yes it is. I’m more often disappointed in brisket locally as well. But then again, where I live, it’s still a “newish” style and not everyone is as good at it at the folks that have been doing it for generations.

Actually, that has been my take on BBQ in general when we’ve traveled in the PNW. It’s a transplanted concept and not everyone up that way has it totally figured out just yet, so the experience can be hit or miss.

Coming Up Next: Talk about blowing your top.
Not all Saints are gentle.
Some have quite the temper.

Attachments

• DSC_0157.JPG
    DSC_0157.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 1

What do you mean... "Just"...

I can't tell if you were assuming the worst because it involved the DOT or my family.

Lucky.
Remind me to tell you of the movie... wait... movies experience(s).

Do I even want to know?

Ouch.
Well... occasional isn't too bad.

He only chokes me a little bit when he's on my back.

Hmmm... So why don't you? You just said it... do it!

It's ideas like this that put you one step closer to billionaire status. Now you just need to execute. :cheer2:

No problem! It will cost eleventy-billion dollars. Which taxes and DMV fees would you like to raise to offset the cost?

And I can already tell you which hotel on this trip is going to score the best marks from the Oblivious Family.

There may be a couple of contenders...

By a few extra, you mean all of them, right?

Well, they put them in those handy trays for a reason, right?

:faint: That wood bridge looks kind of sketchy to me! :rolleyes1

Yeah, me too! That's why I sent the kids out first.

I like when things are named something that, 1. I can pronounce, 2. is logical.

They certainly don't always follow those rules.

Looks like a neat area to get to do some exploration.

Awesome beach. I don't get to see stuff like that on a regular basis.

::yes:: That sucks. Glad you guys could offer some assistance.

It wasn't much. We felt bad for Mom.

Between your palate and the Budget Committee???

Thankfully, my palate has never been a problem for the Budget Committee.

Ok, that's what I thought!

Mac and cheese it is.

::yes:: I enjoy some good ribs too, but can't go wrong with pulled pork and brisket!

::yes:: I like ribs, but I always feel like it's a lot of work and mess for a tiny bit of meat. Brisket, if done right, is king for me.

Yeah, that’s how we got where we are.

Believe me, I totally understand.

Idyllic metaphor there… I s’pect that the reality was more like a pack of hounds having gotten into an upturned barrel of kibble.

Well...It was more like my version after I beat the kids away.

Thus elevating you above the hounds
(and I’d have driven up there and dope-slapped you if you hadn’t)

We didn't know if we'd ever see them again.

We got caught by that little trap on the way back from the shore. Work was scheduled to be done by 5pm, but apparently they decided to work late that day…

And people say state workers are lazy.

At least we were stuck by an overlook out onto the lake so there was scenery for the gawking and of course conversation to pass the time.

Nice view, at least.

The clarity of the water also amazed us (I guarantee there ain’t no lakes ‘round where I live where you can see through to the bottom like this…

You'll see through the course of the TR that clear water like that was a source of constant fascination.

Marketing Genius!
(I bet that the indigenous peoples had really boring names for those places back before culture and civilization arrived)

We were in the same area but chose to hit the beach just to the north of the river outlet there.

Rialto Beach, then?

And that’s one of the reasons we went to Rialto Beach instead; much easier access.
The other main difference though is that Rialto is covered in stones rather than being sandy.
A bit more work to walk on it for any distance, but otherwise just as gorgeous

I had friends who went to that one as well. They fell in love with it.

And that right there is the truth of it.

I know it's all just erosion, but it's really pretty erosion.

<snicker> Good travel tip there .

Oddly, this reminded me of something from the Neolithic ages back when I was a young’en. The garbage trucks that serviced the area I lived in at the time all had sizable stickers plastered on their back sides that read: “Caution, this truck has bad breath””

They're not wrong.

The NPS must need to put up some of those warning signs like they have along the trails over at the Grand Canyon.

Hey, good memory there!

I’m sure it was just coincidence.

Obviously. It had to have been.

Well now, that’s true
Like I said earlier, I tend to give folks with young’ens a bit of a pass in most instances.
We’ve trod in those shoes and they’re rather worn.

I've walked many miles in those shoes myself.

Which is precisely why Article III, paragraph 7(b) always carries more weight in our Kangaroo Court of household law.

::yes::

Or an X-Wing fighter.
Both are considered good omens.

And there's an even bigger blast from the past. How do you even remember these?

Like a Siren’s Call…
leading us straight onto the rocks of certain over-indulgent peril.

All Hail Gluttony!

Something's gotta kill ya. Might as well die happy.

I can’t imagine why that would be.

Because some people have no taste. We can leave the names out of the discussion.

You’ve just about sold me. If I had the extra bucks, I’d look into getting a smoker.
Maybe in the spring (assuming I’m still employed, that is).

I love fooling around with it. It's a great feeling when you get it right. On the other hand, now I'm in charge of Thanksgiving dinner every year.

You were just looking out for their best interest here.
Imagine how hard it would have been on them hauling your carcass around for the rest of the trip if you’d have expired due to a heart attack. Just getting you strapped to the roof of the Caravan would have been quite the ordeal.

Exactly. And Drew loves the pull my finger trick.

Yes it is. I’m more often disappointed in brisket locally as well. But then again, where I live, it’s still a “newish” style and not everyone is as good at it at the folks that have been doing it for generations.

Actually, that has been my take on BBQ in general when we’ve traveled in the PNW. It’s a transplanted concept and not everyone up that way has it totally figured out just yet, so the experience can be hit or miss.

Yeah, BBQ is a little risky once you get out of the South/Texas region. It's similar to ordering a "Philly cheese steak" outside the greater Philly area. You might get lucky and find a place run by a transplanted Philadelphian, but it's a risk.

The place had a lot of good reviews so I figured it might be a transplant from the South running it or something.

Not all Saints are gentle.
Some have quite the temper.

I see you have successfully predicted the next destination.

As someone who lives in the Pacific Northwest, I will be sending some New Jersey style "Associates" to visit you so that you no longer post pictures of or extol the virtues of Olympic National park....pirate:

I can't tell if you were assuming the worst because it involved the DOT or my family.
Pick either one!
Do I even want to know?
Being as I live with nothing but females, you can probably guess how popular that series was with them. And... unfortunately, at the time, they were too young to go to the movies by themselves (or more... on their own dime.)
Before they released the last (thank God) movie, one theatre had a special showing of the previous movie. It was hosted by a radio station, I believe. Anyways, of course my girls wanted to go. So, we went. The (female) DJ welcomed everyone and... looking straight at me said "And the one Dad in the audience, too."
I looked around. Yup. The only male in the entire theatre.
He only chokes me a little bit when he's on my back.
Hence the occasional.
I presume he climbs off when you black out.
No problem! It will cost eleventy-billion dollars. Which taxes and DMV fees would you like to raise to offset the cost?
I don't live in the US, so feel free to jack both taxes and fees wayyyyy up!

Love the can-do attitude! SNL fan? Already pay some of the highest taxes/fees :rolleyes:.....what's some more if you can really solve our road/traffic issues. :worship:

As someone who lives in the Pacific Northwest, I will be sending some New Jersey style "Associates" to visit you so that you no longer post pictures of or extol the virtues of Olympic National park....pirate:

Is this how you normally introduce yourself? :rotfl2:

Anyway...:welcome: ...I think.

Pick either one!

Ah, the classic "lose/lose" scenario...

Being as I live with nothing but females, you can probably guess how popular that series was with them. And... unfortunately, at the time, they were too young to go to the movies by themselves (or more... on their own dime.)
Before they released the last (thank God) movie, one theatre had a special showing of the previous movie. It was hosted by a radio station, I believe. Anyways, of course my girls wanted to go. So, we went. The (female) DJ welcomed everyone and... looking straight at me said "And the one Dad in the audience, too."
I looked around. Yup. The only male in the entire theatre.

:rotfl2::rotfl: Well, congratulations! You should have earned at least 50 Schwarzenegger movies for this.

Hence the occasional.
I presume he climbs off when you black out.

Sometimes. First he likes to jump up and down on my back.

I don't live in the US, so feel free to jack both taxes and fees wayyyyy up!

But then Canada will see how great it works, and will want to implement it...

Love the can-do attitude! SNL fan? Already pay some of the highest taxes/fees :rolleyes:.....what's some more if you can really solve our road/traffic issues. :worship:

I can understand the frustration construction projects cause. But as I like to remind folks, here is a full and complete listing of all the times of day/year where it is convenient to do road construction:

Well...It was more like my version after I beat the kids away.
And simultaneously earned another nomination for parent of the year…
Nice work there.

And there's an even bigger blast from the past. How do you even remember these?
Don’t know…
I’ve always had a knack for remembering crap while also forgetting things most folks consider more important. If I read up on some bit of history or encounter some odd spot on a map or hear some minor detail in a story somewhere then it’s generally set in stone. Set my car keys or cell phone down anywhere other than the designated spot I’ve forcible committed to sheer habit and they’re lost (until someone else finds them). The rest of my family find this duality to be endlessly entertaining and ridicule worthy.

Of course, there is much about me that is ridicule worthy, so maybe this isn't really saying much.

Because some people have no taste. We can leave the names out of the discussion.
Prudent…
Your continued health and sleeping arrangements will be well served by that bit of discretion.

Something's gotta kill ya. Might as well die happy.
That should be carved into a monument somewhere.

I love fooling around with it. It's a great feeling when you get it right. On the other hand, now I'm in charge of Thanksgiving dinner every year.
I’d see that as a positive.
Having Que rather than turkey would certainly make me thankful.

I see you have successfully predicted the next destination.
You dropped a fairly good hint (and I know where you are on the map, so it made sense).

they had sold out to Cinnabon and their crappy leftover lumps of dough.

And see I think that Cinnabon is the yummiest of cinnamon rolls.

And thus, as we entered the breakfast room, we were greeted with the sight of the original, far superior cinnamon rolls just waiting for us to eat them. We greeted our long-lost travel companions with the joy of a family welcoming home a soldier from a long tour of duty. And we may or may not have taken a few extra for the road.

I can understand that. I'm sure Fran would do the same thing.

I know all of you appreciate that hard work just as much as I do.

Well probably not as much as you do.... :rolleyes1

We followed directions to a parking area for “Second Beach”, the middle beach in a line of three sandy areas starting with…wait for it…First Beach and ending with Third Beach.

Wow! Creativity at it's best!

It was almost as if they’d known we were coming and had attempted to barricade the beach, but…nah. I’m probably just imagining things.

Maybe....

The tide was out, which enabled us to walk all the way up to several of the stacks. Up close, we found it was best to stay a few feet back, as they were covered with a lot of smelly barnacles.

Yeah, I can see that as not helping you want to keep your lunch.

But we made it, and eventually made it back to the parking lot where we all made a pit stop at the porta-john. While there, another mom and her son came up the trail and waited to use the facilities. Then her son turned to the side and barfed on the sidewalk.

I feel like I should mention that this doesn’t often happen when people meet us for the first time. Anyway, the mom thought he had gotten dehydrated on the hike, as it was getting warm outside. We gave her a couple of extra water bottles we had on us—one for washing and one for re-hydrating, and wished her well. Every parent has been there.

That was nice of you. I probably would have turned the other direction and proceeded to barf as well. I never would have made it as a parent.

Article III, paragraph 7(a) states that each dining location should be chosen without regard to price—only the finest, most outstanding delicacies shall be considered. We crave adventurous meals that challenge the palate, creating new combinations and taste sensations that could never be achieved anywhere else, naturally with a perfect wine pairing to match. We certainly would never pass up the chance to find a wine with a delicate nose, and notes of oak, with earthy undertones.

This sounds more like my guidelines than you own!

(P.S. Have flavor notes like that ever been helpful?

Well I don't know what "flavor notes" are but reviews can be helpful....

I have no idea what “oak” is supposed to tell me. I do not go around munching on bark or oak leaves. How do you know what oak tastes like?

If you spent a few minutes with me and a few different bottles of Chardonnay, you would know what Oak tastes like, and I have have never chewed on bark or trees.

Are you sure it’s not maple?

Oh, it's definitely not Maple, tastes nothing like syrup.

Same with “earthy”—I haven’t chewed on any dirt since an ill-advised headfirst slide into home in Little League, and I can’t say I really wanted to taste that again.)

Well so you have tasted dirt. When you taste it in your wine or food, personally I don't prefer to do it again!

Anyway, Article III, paragraph 7(b) tells you to then have a good laugh, check out the price for experiences like that, and throw the idea out since your kid is only going to order mac-and-cheese anyway. The rule of thumb is simply to look for the restaurant with the giant pig out front.

Yeah, this sounds much more like you and your family.

I can never resist a good BBQ joint

BTW, not that we know if it will be good, but did you hear about the new restaurant in the American Pavilion?

I’ve found that the more I get into smoking meats at home on my own, the more I want to try other places to see what they’re doing. Of all the attempts at new hobbies over the years, BBQ seems to be the one I’ve enjoyed the most.

I think this is a hobby that I would enjoy as well!

I also got some fries and some beans, because they’re very good for your heart. My family was really happy I had ordered them as well, since we’d all be sleeping in one room together that night.

And there it is! I knew you couldn't write a chapter without a fart joke somewhere.

Our favorite touch was the toilet phone, a convenient feature that ensured you’d never miss a minute of any important conversation. Perhaps your companion on the other end of the line can be treated to some delightful background noises as well.

This must have been an old hotel. They don't realize now that we can just bring our cellphones into the bathroom to make interesting background noises as well.

Last edited:
Nope - Just think of it as another way to consider yourself unique and special.. I just love ONP and want to be certain I can get a backpacking spot on the beach :sunny:

Well, it's a hard place to get to. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Nah. We tend to see how you guys do things, see the results... then do the opposite.

This is....not a terrible strategy.

And simultaneously earned another nomination for parent of the year…
Nice work there.

That's what I do.

Don’t know…
I’ve always had a knack for remembering crap while also forgetting things most folks consider more important. If I read up on some bit of history or encounter some odd spot on a map or hear some minor detail in a story somewhere then it’s generally set in stone. Set my car keys or cell phone down anywhere other than the designated spot I’ve forcible committed to sheer habit and they’re lost (until someone else finds them). The rest of my family find this duality to be endlessly entertaining and ridicule worthy.

Of course, there is much about me that is ridicule worthy, so maybe this isn't really saying much.

I know the feeling. I forget routine tasks and assignments all the time, having wasted all of my brain cells on movie quotes.

Prudent…
Your continued health and sleeping arrangements will be well served by that bit of discretion.

:rolleyes1

That should be carved into a monument somewhere.

Words to live by, for sure.

I’d see that as a positive.
Having Que rather than turkey would certainly make me thankful.

Well, we still have turkey. I just smoke it, so it turns out better than just baking it in the oven.

You dropped a fairly good hint (and I know where you are on the map, so it made sense).

Yeah, it's not terribly hard to figure out.

And see I think that Cinnabon is the yummiest of cinnamon rolls.

Well, the ones you're thinking of are completely different from the "cinnabons" that are served as part of the free breakfast at the HIE. Calling those "cinnamon rolls" is an insult to real cinnamon rolls.

I can understand that. I'm sure Fran would do the same thing.

Every man for himself! Or woman.

Well probably not as much as you do.... :rolleyes1

Sigh...

Wow! Creativity at it's best!

It's so inspiring, isn't it?

Yeah, I can see that as not helping you want to keep your lunch.

Sometimes things look much better from far away.

That was nice of you. I probably would have turned the other direction and proceeded to barf as well. I never would have made it as a parent.

After so many years, you pretty much get desensitized to any and all bodily fluids.

This sounds more like my guidelines than you own!

:rolleyes1

Well I don't know what "flavor notes" are but reviews can be helpful....

I don't either, if it wasn't already obvious.

If you spent a few minutes with me and a few different bottles of Chardonnay, you would know what Oak tastes like, and I have have never chewed on bark or trees.

But then I wouldn't be willfully ignorant anymore, and my running jokes would be ruined! Thanks for putting up with me.

Oh, it's definitely not Maple, tastes nothing like syrup.

:rotfl:

Well so you have tasted dirt. When you taste it in your wine or food, personally I don't prefer to do it again!

I wouldn't think so. So I won't trust anything labeled as "earthy".

Yeah, this sounds much more like you and your family.

You knew we'd get there eventually.

BTW, not that we know if it will be good, but did you hear about the new restaurant in the American Pavilion?

I did! Very interested to try it. Of course, I'm not expecting the best BBQ ever, but it's nice to have that option available.

I think this is a hobby that I would enjoy as well!

It's really fun when it turns out the way you imagined.

nd there it is! I knew you couldn't write a chapter without a fart joke somewhere.

They say to write what you know.

This must have been an old hotel. They don't realize now that we can just bring our cellphones into the bathroom to make interesting background noises as well.

Oh, but nobody is that crass. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!