Cheapness In Seattle (A 2019 PNW Trip Report - 2020 update added on 6/25

We woke up to good news and bad news.

The good news was that we were in an Embassy Suites, which meant we had a rare night with plenty of room for 6 people and the best free hotel breakfast we’ve been able to find.

I'm sure that's a real bonus when everyone gets a bed!

The bad news was that apparently every Little League, softball, and soccer team in the greater Portland area had also found a good rate on this hotel and had chosen to stay there for the weekend. It took a bit of time to get our breakfast and find a table. But you’ll be happy to know that we persevered through adversity, because we are not quitters. At least, not when it comes to breakfast food.

Good for you!

While pkondz is the DISBoards’ Leading Expert On Japanese Gardens, my knowledge of them can best be summed up as follows:
  • They are gardens.
  • They are built in a style created by the Japanese people.

That's about the sum total of my knowledge as well!

DSC_3176.JPG

Looks like Drew has learned to stop and smell the roses.

This was my favorite spot. I’m a big fan of water features. That’s why so many of our hikes involve waterfalls.

I can understand that. I would like to take hikes, but I don't think it's a good idea to do something like that all by yourself. There are too many hikers in So Cal that end up getting lost even when they go out with a "party".

I’m sure Liesa has many favorite local places she would recommend for meals in the area, yet for some reason she let me pick the restaurant. Maybe it’s because she knows I have the palate of a 4th-grader. Anyway, she said she had heard good things about this place and hadn’t tried it yet, so she was game. Mostly I picked it because the name made me laugh. Also, burgers.

I would see why she would want to go there. One can not live on foo foo food alone!

She’s a very sweet woman, and I was very glad to finally meet her in person. LIesa has much more refined tastes than I do, but I was thankful that she was still willing to meet us where we could chow down on ridiculous greasy burgers (excellent!).

Glad you two finally got meet. She's known you longer than I have, and we've met a couple times.

And I assure you all that the placement of the trash can symbol in this photo was purely coincidental.

:laughing: That's awesome!

we stopped at an overlook for a nice view of the Three Sisters mountains (once again, the settlers were very creative with their names: South Sister, Middle Sister, and North Sister).

Come on PNW. You need to step up your name game!

It is my experience that no child will ever turn down a chance to swim in a hotel swimming pool. It could be 3 degrees, with the bodies of other swimmers frozen in the ice below, and they would still expect you to bring out a shovel so you can break the surface and let them swim. Oh, and you will be expected to join them, too.

Perhaps that is no child that lives in California or grew up on swim team. I'm not sure I ever used a hotel pool growing up except when we went to Disneyland and I had to swim laps every day to stay in shape while away.

Also: did you see him?

Due to the miracle of reading the chatter, yes I did!

I'm sure that's a real bonus when everyone gets a bed!

It certainly makes for better sleep and less complaining.

That's about the sum total of my knowledge as well!

Oh good, I'm not the only one!

Looks like Drew has learned to stop and smell the roses.

I think it was the first time he ever tried it. He didn't know they had a smell before.

I can understand that. I would like to take hikes, but I don't think it's a good idea to do something like that all by yourself. There are too many hikers in So Cal that end up getting lost even when they go out with a "party".

I think the idea of hiking all day or multiple days in the remote wilderness sounds cool, but most people probably don't think of the dangers involved. I like short, well-marked paths to a specific point of interest.

I would see why she would want to go there. One can not live on foo foo food alone!

That's my philosophy! Ok, fine, mine is that one cannot live on foo foo food.

Glad you two finally got meet. She's known you longer than I have, and we've met a couple times.

We came close once or twice, so it was nice to finally make it happen.

:laughing: That's awesome!

:rolleyes1

Come on PNW. You need to step up your name game!

Seriously.

Perhaps that is no child that lives in California or grew up on swim team. I'm not sure I ever used a hotel pool growing up except when we went to Disneyland and I had to swim laps every day to stay in shape while away.

I guess it's different when you live in a warmer climate! The pool is like an exotic treat for kids in our area.

Due to the miracle of reading the chatter, yes I did!

Cheater! :rotfl:

because we are not quitters. At least, not when it comes to breakfast food.

Good to be champions of something!

and considered the Lewis & Clark National Historic Site out near the coast—this was the area where they finally completed their journey and reached the Pacific Ocean. But that was going to take us too far out of our way.

WAY out of the way, BUT very worth it. Espcially in the summer when they have the live role play folks out shooting black powder, blacksmithing, reading from the journals, etc... You'd need a day to really enjoy it.

For a while, I was seriously considering spending the morning in the little town of McMinnville, Oregon (now THERE’s a vacation destination!) at the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum, home of Howard Hughes’ Spruce Goose.
Just spent they day in "Mac" yesterday (to my poor body's demise) with my daughter where she lives. LOVE 3rd Street shopping and dining! Did you know the hospital I took a postion in in Mac is literally right across the street from that museum? I can see the Goose from my parking lot. :)

Still, I appreciate natural beauty as much as anyone, and the rest of the family seemed enthusiastic about doing something a little different than we normally do on our trips. It’s nice to occasionally be reminded of the value of trying something new.

I love the consensus and willingness here!

I knew parking would be at a premium, so we employed the Rope Drop Strategy once again and showed up a full hour before the Japanese Gardens opened.

Parking at Washington Park super sucks. You were wise to head in early!

The morning was foggy and there was a light drizzle. It was almost like we were in the Pacific Northwest.

:lmao:
It was nice to spend time aimlessly wandering here, not in a rush. Maybe I should look more into this “relaxation” idea people keep talking about.

I'm tellin' ya! It's so freeing!

This one, although not my favorite, is called Ketchup and Mustard. Pretty clever in my book!

I think this on was one of my favorite photos of the lot.

In order to keep little kids from becoming bored, there was a little scavenger hunt they could do to find various features in the gardens. Here you can see Drew working on his.

You need to get him started on the Wilderness Badges at AK. I finally completed mine and am a Senior Ranger.

Yes, I understand there will be... commentary.

Awww, perfection!

It was here that we FINALLY got to make a DIS-meet happen that had been overdue for years. We met @Steppesister

YAY!!!! Here we are!

I’m sure Liesa has many favorite local places she would recommend for meals in the area, yet for some reason she let me pick the restaurant.

I do, but don't/can't go out much anymore. I do get out for Happy Hour on occasion after work, but but not really the places for a family who aren't fans of hummus plates and $1 tacos.

Every DIS-meet I’ve ever had goes pretty much the same way—instead of meeting someone new and a stranger, it feels like I’m jumping right into a conversation with a good friend. It’s amazing how conversing with someone online can break down those awkward barriers and lead to familiarity.

Exactly this! And since 2008? That's a long, long time..

We immediately launched into talking about our trip thus far and where we were headed, while Liesa was in the final planning stages of her big Disney World trip with her kids (which you can read about right here!).

I loved hearing about your adventues thus far, and Disney is always a good fall back topic. ;)

She’s a very sweet woman, and I was very glad to finally meet her in person. LIesa has much more refined tastes than I do, but I was thankful that she was still willing to meet us where we could chow down on ridiculous greasy burgers (excellent!).

Aww, you're making me blush. Thank you. :)

Nah, maybe not more refined. Maybe more... broad? I'm just not picky, love to try new and different things, and well, true story: on the way home from the ED last night (another long story you can read on that link up there) we stopped at Mickey D's. Sadly, we were served after 30 minutes in the drive through, the WORST pile of crap I've EVER eaten. It was 2:00AM, I was tired, but went to bed not starved, so was... satisfied.

I should have been rude and grabbed and tried one of those. They looked amazing!

And a giant tray of French fries which I was sure would not be eaten, only for my family to rise to the challenge.

They were consumed in rather short order.

And I assure you all that the placement of the trash can symbol in this photo was purely coincidental.

LOL!! That's super funny!

The drive through the mountains on Route 22 was gorgeous.

And twisty... glad no one got sick.

We reached the city of Bend by late afternoon. I was last here about 30 years ago, and the city has grown immensely since then.

I had no idea you'd been there before.

We found a deal on a suite at the Riverhouse on the Deschutes, a small resort that sits just north of town on both shores of the Deschutes River. It’s not huge and their only “resort” amenities are a sit-down restaurant and a couple of pools, but it was a nice setting and a good place to rest for a couple of nights.

Stayed there before. Pretty venue in the summer with firepit seatings by the river, but yeah, probably a bit boring for the younger set. Except... pools.

Just spent they day in "Mac" yesterday (to my poor body's demise) with my daughter where she lives. LOVE 3rd Street shopping and dining! Did you know the hospital I took a postion in in Mac is literally right across the street from that museum? I can see the Goose from my parking lot. :)
Does this mean you're feeling better?
Say yes, please.

Say yes, please.
it is Infinitesimally incremental improvements. Last night I had gone far too long (late) for my handful of pills and was in tears in the ER. My son brought them to me, which was so nice.

All day, I've been back on my every 8 hours schedule which has helped. Routine is something like this:

Pills @ 5:00AM, struggle until they kick in then sleep for 3 or so hours.
Able to be up doing A LITTLE (make coffee, sit at the table, put my dish in the dishwasher, and play on laptop) for a couple of hours.
Start to hurt.... but still have a couple hours before I can take something more, so struggle until...
1:00 pills, lather, rinse, repeat... until 9:00PM. Start over. Wake up at 3:00AM, hurt (a lot) pills at 5:00.

Each time I'm up now, I can go another 10 or so minutes until I have to recline and close my eyes.

Hate my life right now.

Catching back up. So happy you finally got to meet Liesa! She is delightful! I'm so sorry she is going through so much pain right now!

I need to get up to Oregon...my aunt and uncle used to live in Bend and now they are in Terrebonne which is just north of where you spent the night.

Jill in CO

So happy you finally got to meet Liesa!
I need to get up to Oregon...my aunt and uncle used to live in Bend and now they are in Terrebonne which is just north of where you spent the night.
Thanks you guys. :) You're the bestest. I'm doing better now than I was when that was written. It's amazing what a difference a week can make!

Jill! Yes, make a visit and PLEASE let me put you up here; we can find some fun things to do and see! Or I can come to the Eastside and we can find just as much trouble over there. ;) Meantime, we need a re-do for the trip I missed a couple of weeks ago. :( Glad I didn't commit to that one in hindsight, but who'd have known?!

Good to be champions of something!

(cue the Queen song)

WAY out of the way, BUT very worth it. Espcially in the summer when they have the live role play folks out shooting black powder, blacksmithing, reading from the journals, etc... You'd need a day to really enjoy it.

I'm sure it would have been a worthy addition to the trip. I really wanted to drive along the Oregon coast like you had suggested. But we also really wanted to see Glacier, which meant going clear in the opposite direction. Now we need to go back.

I did not know that! But I did get a little bummed missing out on the Goose.

I love the consensus and willingness here!

They are all pretty good at just going with the flow. It's a good quality.

Parking at Washington Park super sucks. You were wise to head in early!

Yeah, I had read that in multiple places. So I wanted to make sure we were early.

I'm tellin' ya! It's so freeing!

The 50-state quest should end soon. Maybe then we can slow down!

This one, although not my favorite, is called Ketchup and Mustard. Pretty clever in my book!

Yes, I remember that name (now). I thought it was cute.

I think this on was one of my favorite photos of the lot.

Thanks!

You need to get him started on the Wilderness Badges at AK. I finally completed mine and am a Senior Ranger.

Yes, I understand there will be... commentary.

I'm sure he would probably love that. I'm certainly not going to make fun of you for having fun at Disney. I get it.

Awww, perfection!

:goodvibes

YAY!!!! Here we are!

About time!

I do, but don't/can't go out much anymore. I do get out for Happy Hour on occasion after work, but but not really the places for a family who aren't fans of hummus plates and $1 tacos.

Wait, $1 tacos? You can keep the hummus, but we would be here for the tacos.

Exactly this! And since 2008? That's a long, long time..

Very long! Time flies.

I loved hearing about your adventues thus far, and Disney is always a good fall back topic. ;)

We definitely had that in common!

Aww, you're making me blush. Thank you. :)

Nah, maybe not more refined. Maybe more... broad? I'm just not picky, love to try new and different things, and well, true story: on the way home from the ED last night (another long story you can read on that link up there) we stopped at Mickey D's. Sadly, we were served after 30 minutes in the drive through, the WORST pile of crap I've EVER eaten. It was 2:00AM, I was tired, but went to bed not starved, so was... satisfied.

I am not ashamed to stop at McDonald's when we're hungry and need something fast. I know at least the fries should be good. My family refuses to eat at Burger King, though. Gets them sick every time.

I should have been rude and grabbed and tried one of those. They looked amazing!

I kept trying to get you to bite on those!

They were consumed in rather short order.

::yes:: Never underestimate teen appetites.

LOL!! That's super funny!

:cool:

And twisty... glad no one got sick.

It wasn't so bad. We've done far worse!

I had no idea you'd been there before.

It was as a kid, so...ages ago.

Stayed there before. Pretty venue in the summer with firepit seatings by the river, but yeah, probably a bit boring for the younger set. Except... pools.

I thought it was a nice place. Great spot on the river.

Say yes, please.

::yes:: What he said.

it is Infinitesimally incremental improvements. Last night I had gone far too long (late) for my handful of pills and was in tears in the ER. My son brought them to me, which was so nice.

All day, I've been back on my every 8 hours schedule which has helped. Routine is something like this:

Pills @ 5:00AM, struggle until they kick in then sleep for 3 or so hours.
Able to be up doing A LITTLE (make coffee, sit at the table, put my dish in the dishwasher, and play on laptop) for a couple of hours.
Start to hurt.... but still have a couple hours before I can take something more, so struggle until...
1:00 pills, lather, rinse, repeat... until 9:00PM. Start over. Wake up at 3:00AM, hurt (a lot) pills at 5:00.

Each time I'm up now, I can go another 10 or so minutes until I have to recline and close my eyes.

Hate my life right now.

Ugh. I'm glad to hear it's improving, but I hate that it's so slow. I feel for you.

Catching back up. So happy you finally got to meet Liesa! She is delightful! I'm so sorry she is going through so much pain right now!

Welcome back, Jill! Liesa is a lot of fun. It was great to finally pull off the meet.

Thanks you guys. :) You're the bestest. I'm doing better now than I was when that was written. It's amazing what a difference a week can make!

That's much better news! :jumping1:

Chapter 5: The Crater Good

Our resort was nice, but it did not offer free breakfast. So, first thing in the morning, I had to go out in search of sustenance. I searched high and low across the greater Bend. OR municipal region, by which I mean that I drove across the street to the first donut shop I could find.

I stopped at a place called Delish Donuts, a humble little place in a strip mall that just happened to be convenient. And while not the cheapest place, everything was freshly made, which counts for a lot. It also had its own Drooling Homer Award already, so I figured Homer’s approval counted for quite a bit as well.

Mmmmm...donuts...

These were so good we’d come back the next morning for more. I had the cronut in the lower right. Got it again the next day.

We set out on a 2-hour drive southwest of Bend, which was…completely uneventful. Eventually, at the end of all that nothingness, we arrived at Crater Lake National Park.

Crater Lake was formed 7700 years ago. It used to be a volcano called Mount Mazama up until that time, when it erupted in a similar way to Mt. St. Helens—the entire top of the mountain collapsed, creating a huge caldera where the volcano used to be. Over time, the volcano went dormant and the crater filled with rain water and snow melt, forming the deepest lake in the United States (2nd deepest in North America and 9th-deepest in the world). It’s well known for the deep, deep blue color of the water owing to the various minerals contained within that reflect the blue spectrum of visible light.

We entered the park via the north entrance and began a slow climb up to the rim of the crater.

The park itself is fairly straight-forward: There’s a north and a south entrance, and both roads lead to the Rim Drive, which is a 36-mile road that circles the lake along the rim of the crater. There are several overlooks along the way. That’s it. That’s the park.

But what a beautiful sight that lake is.

The famous island in the lake is called Wizard Island, and it’s just a part of the old volcano—it wasn’t a separate eruption or anything like that. Or, at least, none of the info we got from the park called it out that way. But it does make for a striking landmark in the lake. And can you imagine what the size of the original mountain must have been if this was the lake left behind?

You can actually take a boat out to Wizard Island, and I’m sure it makes for a great day trip. The only problem is that you have to hike down to the dock…which means that eventually, you have to hike back up. We didn’t have the time for that. And I know from years and years of experience that hiking downhill is better than hiking uphill.

We made our way to the Steel Visitor Center for a passport stamp and Junior Ranger book, and then drove back up to the Rim Village, located on the south side of the lake. The view was better from here with the sun behind us. Just look at that color!

True confession time: many moons ago, when I visited Crater Lake as a kid, I remember feeling…what’s the word? Bored.

I know, I know. Kids like me are jerks. But, hear me out.

My parents are often even more hardcore completists than I am, so they were determined to do the entire drive around the rim. So I remember reaching the park, and being impressed with the view, and then doing a very, very slow drive around the rim and stopping at each and every overlook to learn that…yup, the lake was still there. Here it is from this angle. Now, from this angle. And so on and so forth. After a few hours of that, I’d had enough.

I was determined not to repeat that experience with my kids. But I didn't pull a Griswold, either. We spent the morning enjoying the view while Drew worked on the Junior Ranger activities.

I think it was the right call for us not to do the rest of the drive. Your mileage may vary (literally, if you do the drive). We did about half of it and felt like we saw plenty of views of the lake. The scenery certainly made it worthy of a visit.

Continued next post

Last edited:
My original plan had been to continue on down to the Pacific Coast, in order to visit Redwood National Park in Northern California, and then to come back up the Oregon coast the following day before heading out to Glacier National Park in Montana. @Steppesister had recommended the coast as an especially spectacular drive, and judging from the photos I looked up she was absolutely right.

But when I reviewed the itinerary, I had a distinct feeling that we were biting off more than we could chew. We'd already seen massive redwood trees at Muir Woods in San Francisco earlier in the year. If we continued on to Redwoods we’d basically have 6 straight days of hard driving with no break. That’s tough on anyone, even if you’re used to it. We’d had a similar stretch during our road trip in the Deep South, and it almost broke us then. So, having learned my lesson then (in your face, people who think this old dog can’t learn new tricks!), we made the reluctant decision to cut Redwoods and the Oregon Coast from the itinerary and instead return to Bend for an afternoon of R&R.

Once that decision was made, I needed to find something else for us to do.

Thankfully, Bend is a resort town, so there are plenty of offerings. Naturally, my thoughts first went to the number of high-end golf courses in the area. Through some internet wheeling and dealing and a few phone calls, I managed to get a discount tee time for me and junior rates for Dave and Scotty to play late in the day. I even found a local guy who rented golf clubs out of his garage that was cheaper than renting them at the course. Perfect! Much better than a 5-hour drive.

But then Julie, Sarah and Andrew piped up: they needed something to do that afternoon, too.

Honestly. They’re so high-maintenance.

I did some more internet sleuthing, getting a good hearty laugh at the cost of some of the white-water rafting excursions (which Sarah would have loved, Julie would have hated, and Andrew would have laughed half the time and been terrified half the time). Eventually, I found that I could send them to a shark.

Sorry, the SHARC—Sunrise Homeowners Aquatic Recreation Center. It’s an indoor/outdoor water park that was primarily built for guests/timeshare owners in the Sunrise Resort south of Bend, but is open to the public—and happens to reduce their rates after 5:00 p.m.

So, we planned to drive back from Crater Lake, eat a late lunch/early dinner in Bend, and then the boys and I would tee off at 4 while Julie dropped us off and then drove to the water park for the rest of the evening with Sarah and Drew.

I love it when a plan comes together.

We picked up our golf clubs and then ate lunch around 1:30 or 2:00 p.m. at the 10 Barrel Brewing Company, just a couple of miles from our hotel in North Bend. Being a brewpub, I figured I couldn’t go wrong with a burger, and I was proven correct when I got one piled high with bacon and onion strings. It was excellent. I had a nice porter to drink with it as well. This place got a thumbs-up from all of us.

We drove northwest of Bend to the Pronghorn Resort, which is way out in the middle of nowhere and features a security guard at a gate when you finally reach the entrance. In other words, it’s a swanky place the likes of which my family normally doesn’t get to see. Every house, condo and resort building looked like a miniature version of the Wilderness Lodge. I felt like at any moment, someone would come to their senses and say, “I’m sorry, we don’t serve your kind here.”

In fact, when we drove up to the gate, the guard asked to see some identification. I decided to try my best Jedi Mind Trick and waved my hand and said, "You don't need to see our identification."

His eyes went glassy for a bit, and then he responded: "Actually, I do. We don't serve your kind here."

Crap. I guess my mind control powers are on the fritz. I'll have to practice some more. Right, honey?

"Whatever you say, babe."

Awesome, they're working again!

Ok, I may or may not have made all of that up, but what I know for certain is that the password to get into this place is, "We have a tee time."

It's the kind of place where you feel a little worried to step on the sidewalk or even the grass for fear you'll mess it up somehow. I'm not nearly rich enough to stay here but also wouldn't pass up the chance if someone offered it to me.

We got squared away with our golf carts and only had a few minutes to warm up on the putting green before it was time to tee off. There are two golf courses at the Pronghorn Resort, only one of which is open to the public. That one is designed by Jack Nicklaus, who even non-golfers have probably heard of considering he’s generally considered the greatest golfer of all time. It’s a beautiful course that weaves its way through the high desert and makes use of the desert and pines as a hazard on most holes.

As we played, my boys and I learned something about this famous golfer and architect.

Jack Nicklaus is a bit of a jerk.

This course was HARD. The fairways were generous enough so that you had a reasonable chance of reaching them from the tee, but if you got a ball in the desert, it was most likely lost. And if you weren’t in the correct part of the fairway, your chances of getting the ball close to the hole were almost as high as the Jamaican Bobsled Team’s odds at the Winter Olympics. I won’t describe every shot or hole as that would bore most of you to tears, but suffice it to say that we brought 24 golf balls with us on this trip and returned home with 11.

The course was beautiful, though. I got to spend four hours playing golf with my boys in 80-degree weather on a summer afternoon at a Jack Nicklaus resort course.

This was my favorite hole (the 13th). You had to play both shots over a lake to a green set in front of a natural rock wall. I’m proud to say I got a par here. Just don’t ask about the other holes. Except for the one birdie I made.

We mostly played lousy. Like we usually do. But we had fun. Like we usually do.

Meanwhile, the girls and Drew had a lot of fun swimming at the SHARC. From what they told me, the crowds were somewhat heavy but manageable, and it was a good place to relax and unwind for the evening. The highlight of their time was a part of the indoor pool that was arranged like a circle on the edge, not a hot tub but with the same shape. It was connected to the rest of the pool and there was a current flowing through. Drew was floating happily about with a life vest on in the main pool. The way the current flowed, it carried him into the circular area, and suddenly he was spinning around in an endless circle, completely out of control and giggling the whole time. Julie and Sarah said they couldn’t stop laughing while watching him.

The boys and I finished up under the last rays of sunlight. We had so much fun, I even broke my own rule and took a selfie, just because no one else was around to take a photo of us. There are few better things in life (ok, for a golfer) than playing in perfect weather with people whose company you enjoy—and no one else on the course. We had those conditions on the back nine, and it was wonderful.

So, yeah. I think we made the right call. Some day, we’ll see the redwoods and the Oregon Coast. Speaking of the Oregon Coast, there’s another golf resort there I want to try someday…

Coming Up Next: The always-exciting Driving Day. Maybe I’ll combine a couple of days into one update to avoid losing too many readers.

Today's map:

Last edited:
Crater Lake is so beautiful!

I'm glad you and your family realize what makes a "good" trip. We have learned that in a family of introverts, too much together time is not good, and we need to spend time apart. It took us too long to realize that there is no perfect way to vacation, just what works for you. Spending time alone can be hard to do when the kids are little, and you have spent so much money to be at the Happiest Place on Earth! I used to say, it wasn't vacation until someone cried! I think that's why I liked our cruises so well, it was much easier for the kids to have their own thing with the kid clubs, and we could do our thing and recharge.

The 50-state quest should end soon. Maybe then we can slow down!

You don't get off that easy......Drew has to catch up. Something tells me the other kids will be voting on getting him to Hawaii first so they can all join on your dime.

I drove across the street to the first donut shop I could find.

Always a win with kids.

It used to be a volcano called Mount Mazama up until that time, when it erupted in a similar way to Mt. St. Helens

Learning from your trip report is waaaayyyyy more interesting than in school. Maybe I was just one of those jerk kids as well. :rolleyes:

Great that you and the older boys enjoyed some golf together and Julie, Sarah, and Drew were able to enjoy themselves as well.

What a great update: crater lake, golf, and an aquatic center. Awesome decision to cut out some driving.

That drooling Homer in the wild cracked me up!

Love the oblivious adventures.

I searched high and low across the greater Bend. OR municipal region, by which I mean that I drove across the street to the first donut shop I could find.
Your dedication is inspiring.
And while not the cheapest place, everything was freshly made, which counts for a lot.
I'll take fresh (and good, thanks) over cheap every day.
It also had its own Drooling Homer Award already,
:laughing:
How surprised were you to see that!?!?!
These were so good we’d come back the next morning for more. I had the cronut in the lower right. Got it again the next day.
Yum! Look good too!
Crater Lake was formed 7700 years ago. It used to be a volcano called Mount Mazama up until that time,
I'm a bit surprised they knew the name. I didn't think there was a written record from that far back. Impressive.
Hmmm... then again, it must've been a cataclysmic event. It would've remained in racial memory for a long time.
I can see the name being mentioned in tales "And then the great mountain Mazama rose up and..."
Over time, the volcano went dormant and the crater filled with rain water and snow melt, forming the deepest lake in the United States (2nd deepest in North America and 9th-deepest in the world).
Funny how I knew Crater lake was one of the deepest... but didn't know that Great Slave in my own country was the deepest in North America.
But what a beautiful sight that lake is.

Beautiful. I'm adding that to my list of places to see.
And can you imagine what the size of the original mountain must have been if this was the lake left behind?
Good point! I don't see much higher peaks in the distance. Must've been huge!
The only problem is that you have to hike down to the dock…which means that eventually, you have to hike back up.
Ah yes... I can see that as an issue... especially with your youngest issue on your back.
And I know from years and years of experience that hiking downhill is better than hiking uphill.
Only took a few years! Good for you!
Just look at that color!

Wow! Seriously... wow!
True confession time: many moons ago, when I visited Crater Lake as a kid, I remember feeling…what’s the word? Bored.
I get that. I was the same when my folks took me to the Rockies. After a few minutes, I just wanted to know if the motel had a pool.
I know, I know. Kids like me are jerks.
Accurate statement. First one of the TR!
My parents are often even more hardcore completists than I am, so they were determined to do the entire drive around the rim. So I remember reaching the park, and being impressed with the view, and then doing a very, very slow drive around the rim and stopping at each and every overlook to learn that…yup, the lake was still there. Here it is from this angle. Now, from this angle. And so on and so forth. After a few hours of that, I’d had enough.
Okay... I see your point.
I was determined not to repeat that experience with my kids. But I didn't pull a Griswold, either.
I didn't have to click that link. (but I did)
One of my, if not the favourite scene from that movie.
If we continued on to Redwoods we’d basically have 6 straight days of hard driving with no break. That’s tough on anyone, even if you’re used to it.
6 straight days is quite a bit. I'm usually good for three or four tough days... then I want a break.
(in your face, people who think this old dog can’t learn new tricks!),
Only takes a few years!
we made the reluctant decision to cut Redwoods and the Oregon Coast from the itinerary and instead return to Bend for an afternoon of R&R.

Once that decision was made, I needed to find something else for us to do.
How about.... seeing Redwoods and the Oregon Coast?
I even found a local guy who rented golf clubs out of his garage that was cheaper than renting them at the course.
Huh! Never would've thought of that.
But then Julie, Sarah and Andrew piped up: they needed something to do that afternoon, too.

Honestly. They’re so high-maintenance.
:lmao:
I did some more internet sleuthing, getting a good hearty laugh at the cost of some of the white-water rafting excursions (which Sarah would have loved, Julie would have hated, and Andrew would have laughed half the time and been terrified half the time).
I can see that! :laughing:
and then drove to the water park for the rest of the evening with Sarah and Drew.
What did Sarah think of that?
Holy smokes!
In other words, it’s a swanky place the likes of which my family normally doesn’t get to see.
Ah yes. The riff raff.
Every house, condo and resort building looked like a miniature version of the Wilderness Lodge.
Whoa!
In fact, when we drove up to the gate, the guard asked to see some identification. I decided to try my best Jedi Mind Trick and waved my hand and said, "You don't need to see our identification."

His eyes went glassy for a bit, and then he responded: "Actually, I do. We don't serve your kind here."
You had it stuck in reverse.
Crap. I guess my mind control powers are on the fritz. I'll have to practice some more. Right, honey?

"Whatever you say, babe."

Awesome, they're working again!
Let me know how that works out for you.
Can you still type while lying on the couch?
I know for certain is that the password to get into this place is, "We have a tee time."
That one is designed by Jack Nicklaus, who even non-golfers have probably heard of
::yes::
As we played, my boys and I learned something about this famous golfer and architect.

Jack Nicklaus is a bit of a jerk.
And if you weren’t in the correct part of the fairway, your chances of getting the ball close to the hole were almost as high as the Jamaican Bobsled Team’s odds at the Winter Olympics.
But they did get a movie out of it.
but suffice it to say that we brought 24 golf balls with us on this trip and returned home with 11.
That's me on a regular, par 3 nine hole course.
The course was beautiful, though. I got to spend four hours playing golf with my boys in 80-degree weather on a summer afternoon at a Jack Nicklaus resort course.
:goodvibes That's good bonding time right there.
We mostly played lousy. Like we usually do. But we had fun. Like we usually do.
So the swearing was kept to a minimum?
The way the current flowed, it carried him into the circular area, and suddenly he was spinning around in an endless circle, completely out of control and giggling the whole time. Julie and Sarah said they couldn’t stop laughing while watching him.
:lmao: I can picture it.
There are few better things in life (ok, for a golfer) than playing in perfect weather with people whose company you enjoy—and no one else on the course. We had those conditions on the back nine, and it was wonderful.
Very nice. :)

Crater Lake is so beautiful!

It really is! Just an amazing view.

I'm glad you and your family realize what makes a "good" trip. We have learned that in a family of introverts, too much together time is not good, and we need to spend time apart. It took us too long to realize that there is no perfect way to vacation, just what works for you. Spending time alone can be hard to do when the kids are little, and you have spent so much money to be at the Happiest Place on Earth! I used to say, it wasn't vacation until someone cried! I think that's why I liked our cruises so well, it was much easier for the kids to have their own thing with the kid clubs, and we could do our thing and recharge.

I'm blessed in that our family seems to genuinely enjoy being together. And we do get a LOT of time together on these road trips. But it is nice occasionally to find ways to change it up a bit.

You don't get off that easy......Drew has to catch up. Something tells me the other kids will be voting on getting him to Hawaii first so they can all join on your dime.

Most of the states Drew needs are in the Rust Belt: Michigan, Indiana, West Virginia, and Kentucky. I have a brother who lives in the Toledo area, so we feel like we can pick these up if we plan a visit there.

I'm sure everyone is looking forward to returning to Hawaii. Feels like that should be number 50 for him.

Always a win with kids.

Learning from your trip report is waaaayyyyy more interesting than in school. Maybe I was just one of those jerk kids as well. :rolleyes:

:rotfl: And it takes a lot less time to read one short paragraph!

Great that you and the older boys enjoyed some golf together and Julie, Sarah, and Drew were able to enjoy themselves as well.

I'm glad we found something for everybody. That's not always the case!

What a great update: crater lake, golf, and an aquatic center. Awesome decision to cut out some driving.

Sometimes we do the smart thing. Not often, but sometimes.

That drooling Homer in the wild cracked me up!

Love the oblivious adventures.

Thanks! It's fun to see little things like that along the way.

Your dedication is inspiring.

Thank you; it's hard work being this lazy.

I'll take fresh (and good, thanks) over cheap every day.

I agree! "You get what you pay for" has been true more often than not for me.

How surprised were you to see that!?!?!

It made me laugh. I can understand why a donut shop would pay tribute to Homer.

Yum! Look good too!

I'm a bit surprised they knew the name. I didn't think there was a written record from that far back. Impressive.
Hmmm... then again, it must've been a cataclysmic event. It would've remained in racial memory for a long time.
I can see the name being mentioned in tales "And then the great mountain Mazama rose up and..

That was probably poorly phrased. I did some quick research and Mazama was a name given by William Steel, the man who helped map the area. So he chose that as the name for the former mountain. The natives probably had a different name for it.

Funny how I knew Crater lake was one of the deepest... but didn't know that Great Slave in my own country was the deepest in North America.

Clearly Great Slave needs a better publicist.

Beautiful. I'm adding that to my list of places to see.

It was worth seeing for sure. Like I said, I wouldn't make a whole day of it. But then again, there's not much else in the area...

Good point! I don't see much higher peaks in the distance. Must've been huge!

They estimate it was 12,000 feet high.

Ah yes... I can see that as an issue... especially with your youngest issue on your back.

He would definitely want to be carried at some point.:sad2:

Only took a few years! Good for you!

I may not get there fast, but I eventually get there.

Wow! Seriously... wow!

It's pretty stunning!

I get that. I was the same when my folks took me to the Rockies. After a few minutes, I just wanted to know if the motel had a pool.

I guess we all had some growing up to do.

Accurate statement. First one of the TR!

It's a new record!

Okay... I see your point.

If the view had changed, I probably would have appreciated it more.

I didn't have to click that link. (but I did)
One of my, if not the favourite scene from that movie.

It is a classic, for sure. I figured most people probably knew what I was referencing even without the link.

6 straight days is quite a bit. I'm usually good for three or four tough days... then I want a break.

Yeah, we learned that lesson a couple of years ago. It's hard to keep going.

Only takes a few years!

I'm trying. I really am.

How about.... seeing Redwoods and the Oregon Coast?

Hey, that's a great idea!

Wait...

Huh! Never would've thought of that.

I wasn't sure how legitimate it was at first, but I made contact and it all worked out great.

What did Sarah think of that?

She was cool. She'd take a water park any day over a golf course.

Holy smokes!

That was a big burger, for sure.

Ah yes. The riff raff.

That would be us!

You had it stuck in reverse.

I'm just not good at this Jedi stuff.

Let me know how that works out for you.
Can you still type while lying on the couch?

Absolutely! I have a lot of experience.

Would not have been out of place, I'm guessing.

But they did get a movie out of it.

Very true. John Candy can make you watch anything.

That's me on a regular, par 3 nine hole course.

I've had many days like that.

:goodvibes That's good bonding time right there.

So the swearing was kept to a minimum?

I tried. Got to set an example for the kids, and all that.

:lmao: I can picture it.

I wish she had video!

Very nice. :)

:goodvibes

Thank you; it's hard work being this lazy.
A thankless task.
I agree! "You get what you pay for" has been true more often than not for me.
Almost always.
I found that I'd buy something cheap... only to replace it later with something more expensive and durable.
That was probably poorly phrased. I did some quick research and Mazama was a name given by William Steel, the man who helped map the area. So he chose that as the name for the former mountain. The natives probably had a different name for it.
Ah. Okay, gotcha.
Clearly Great Slave needs a better publicist.
It's great master won't let it.
They estimate it was 12,000 feet high.
Pretty high!
I may not get there fast, but I eventually get there.
That's the opposite of what she said.
It is a classic, for sure. I figured most people probably knew what I was referencing even without the link.
I dunno… lots of younger folk on the DIS these days... betting lots of them haven't seen it.
I wasn't sure how legitimate it was at first, but I made contact and it all worked out great.
I'd have worried about that too.
She was cool. She'd take a water park any day over a golf course.
:) Okay.
I'm just not good at this Jedi stuff.
Better than the dark side...
Very true. John Candy can make you watch anything.
I tried. Got to set an example for the kids, and all that.
Those darn kids.

Note I said "darn"...
I wish she had video!
I was thinking the same thing!

Geez. I did read this. A LONG time ago in fact, and sure thought I'd commented. :(

First off, I've never been to that course (or heard of it), but the landscape around it is certainly familiar and lovely. The sage and juniper I see always makes me happy. Such a nice scent! As for golfing alone with just the boys- wow! Nice! Even if you were vexed by some tough terrain. It's the time you spent that counts more than the number on the paper!

@Steppesister had recommended the coast as an especially spectacular drive, and judging from the photos I looked up she was absolutely right.

Definitely worth a visit someday! :)

As for your lunch, I spy a beer that looks distinctly like a Deschutes porter or something akin to it. I don't care for beer, but you were definitely in beer country!!

A thankless task.

So unappreciated.

Almost always.
I found that I'd buy something cheap... only to replace it later with something more expensive and durable.

Yeah, that pretty much goes for me too. I do love finding a good value, though.

That's the opposite of what she said.

:rotfl2:

I dunno… lots of younger folk on the DIS these days... betting lots of them haven't seen it.

You're probably right. Respect the classics, man!

I'd have worried about that too.

Always a concern when doing business over the internet.

Better than the dark side...

We just got a magnet for the dishwasher to help the kids know when they might (hint, hint) be able to help us fill it or empty it. It has pictures of Darth Vader and Yoda and one side reads "Clean the dishes are" while the other says "Dishes have joined the dark side". You make it face the appropriate direction.

Those darn kids.

Note I said "darn"...

We thank you for your discretion.

First off, I've never been to that course (or heard of it), but the landscape around it is certainly familiar and lovely. The sage and juniper I see always makes me happy. Such a nice scent! As for golfing alone with just the boys- wow! Nice! Even if you were vexed by some tough terrain. It's the time you spent that counts more than the number on the paper!

High desert country can be really pretty! Especially with the mountains in the background.

Definitely worth a visit someday! :)

We'll get over there...someday...

s for your lunch, I spy a beer that looks distinctly like a Deschutes porter or something akin to it. I don't care for beer, but you were definitely in beer country!!

I almost went to Deschutes Brewery for lunch, but 10 Barrel was more convenient. That was their version of a porter. We did notice the preponderance of brewpubs in the area! Which is good, they usually have good food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter