Charging privileges when renting DVC points

ruthfamilyvacationer

Mouseketeer
Do you still get them? We have never rented points but are contemplating for our next trip. DH and I love the convenience of the cards. Will we still get them if we rent?

Yes. The reservation will be in your name and once you're at WDW, it's like any other reservation. The only "hassle" of renting DVC points is all room requests, ME, Dining Plan add on, have to be done through the DVC member. We love renting points :)

Thanks! So I can still make dining reservations the way I would if we were staying onsite? 180+10?

Yes. We've rented points twice and had great experiences and ADRs at the 180+10 mark just require your reservation confirmation number which you will have as soon as the DVC reservation is made.

Yes. The reservation will be in your name and once you're at WDW, it's like any other reservation. The only "hassle" of renting DVC points is all room requests, ME, Dining Plan add on, have to be done through the DVC member. We love renting points :)

cant i at online check in ask for a certain room request?. I am renting points and online check in for 60 days is this thursday, and cant I call ME and set that up, without bugging the owner too much. I am not doing DDP so no worries there.

cant i at online check in ask for a certain room request?. I am renting points and online check in for 60 days is this thursday, and cant I call ME and set that up, without bugging the owner too much. I am not doing DDP so no worries there.

You can't make requests at online check-in; that is just to provide a time of arrival and credit card on your account. Requests must be attached to your reservation, just like any other resort reservation.

Everything else must be handled through the owner of the points until the reservation is released to you at arrival, as stated by the PP.

You can't make requests at online check-in; that is just to provide a time of arrival and credit card on your account. Requests must be attached to your reservation, just like any other resort reservation.

Everything else must be handled through the owner of the points until the reservation is released to you at arrival, as stated by the PP.

so even if the reservation is in my name now, i cant call ME or ask for a room request without the owner involved? is that what you are saying? thanks

so even if the reservation is in my name now, i cant call ME or ask for a room request without the owner involved? is that what you are saying? thanks

Even though your name is on the reservation, you don't actually own the reservation. The member retains control of the reservation right up until you check in at the resort. Any requests need to be made through DVC Member Services, and they won't discuss the reservation with anyone but the owner.

Even though your name is on the reservation, you don't actually own the reservation. The member retains control of the reservation right up until you check in at the resort. Any requests need to be made through DVC Member Services, and they won't discuss the reservation with anyone but the owner.

that concerns me ..what is to stop the owner from cancelling and keeping the money? not that it would happen, but what if?

that concerns me ..what is to stop the owner from cancelling and keeping the money? not that it would happen, but what if?

Nothing. There has to be a lot of trust between the owner and the renter. We rent points and offer up references, rental agreements, etc...to make sure everyone is comfortable.

i do it through an agency, and they have some sort of protection or guarantee if i remember correctly.

Well, that can happen. It's the owner's reservation, and they can cancel it if they wish. The lack of control over the reservation is one of the tradeoffs in renting points....you pay less, but you don't control the reservation.

To the best of my knowledge, it's an extremely rare occurrence. Did you rent directly from an owner, or through a broker? Some brokers will hold back part of the payment until the guest's arrival date, so that the owner would lose money if the reservation were to be cancelled.

Well, that can happen. It's the owner's reservation, and they can cancel it if they wish. The lack of control over the reservation is one of the tradeoffs in renting points....you pay less, but you don't control the reservation.

To the best of my knowledge, it's an extremely rare occurrence. Did you rent directly from an owner, or through a broker? Some brokers will hold back part of the payment until the guest's arrival date, so that the owner would lose money if the reservation were to be cancelled.

i rented direct from an owner..dont think theres any problem here..talked on the phone a few times, so dont see any problem, just curious as to the whole renting thing. Just wish i didnt have to bug him so much, seems it would be easier for renter and owner to just let renter call ME and ask for DP if needed less stress for everyone.

another issue when "renting pts" (a misnaming since you cannot actually rent points - MS won't speak to you as noted - but are actually renting a reservation that a DVC owner has made) is that you may not have the option to cancel and get a refund, so make sure your plans are solid.

another issue when "renting pts" (a misnaming since you cannot actually rent points - MS won't speak to you as noted - but are actually renting a reservation that a DVC owner has made) is that you may not have the option to cancel and get a refund, so make sure your plans are solid.

my plans are solid,,my son is marching in electrical parade at MK for his high school, so we are going, gives me an excuse to go again. I just decided to rent. Just trying to get ME finalized and DP, just wishing i could do it on my own, without bothering the owner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter