Character-a-Palooza: A (first-ever!) Walt Disney World 2022 Trip Report!

Just found this thread last night and really enjoyed your report. I could feel your joy and excitement through your words! What a stress about safe passage but so happy you got your cleared to sail in time!

Just found this thread last night and really enjoyed your report. I could feel your joy and excitement through your words! What a stress about safe passage but so happy you got your cleared to sail in time!
Thank you so much! This is such a kind compliment, and I'm really happy you enjoyed the report!

By then, it was lunchtime, and I knew exactly where I wanted to go! On our trip last year, we tried Sunshine Seasons at the Land pavilion for the first time, since we were visiting a cast member friend of my mom’s at Garden Grill and figured it would be a convenient place to eat. I got the salmon with cheese grits and FELL IN LOVE! The salmon was just ok, but THE GRITS! I had never had grits before, and they were gone before I could even remember to take a photo! A common saying around our house now is that “I’m thinking about those grits…” so we knew we had to go back and get them. We found a table and I got up to order and looked at the sign.

Wait a second… the sign listed mashed potatoes as the side for the salmon. I checked the app. “Cheese Grits”. I went over to the counter. “Are the grits gone?” I asked. “Yeah, they’ve been gone for a while.”

I was devastated! Out of all the things being taken from us, not my grits too! Distraught, I accepted my plate of potatoes and made my way back to my seat.

View attachment 693366

I’m just kidding, of course (mostly). The mashed potatoes were also very good, and I’ve since learned to make instant cheese grits at home, but I’ll still remember those grits, if only in my memory…

The salmon also comes with ratatouille now (the dish, not the movie) which was very good.

Our next stop was to meet Donald at the Mexico pavilion. Donald is my mom’s favorite, because he’s not as appreciated as Mickey! Donald was so sweet, and loved hearing that he was number one to us!

View attachment 693367View attachment 693368

Next was his main lady, and my favorite of the Mickey Mouse crew - Daisy! I was exactly on time to see her, so I wasn’t even ready when she came over! This might be a good time to talk about my preparation in line for each meet and greet. First, I got out my signature book and the right colored Sharpie for the character(s) I’d be meeting. Then, I would get out my mini hairbrush and give my hair a few run throughs. Finally, I’d get out a tissue and tap the sweat off of my face! Perfect and ready to meet! Of course, Daisy caught me in the middle of all this, but she was so sweet and patient.

View attachment 693369

She loved looking at the other signatures in my book, and promised to bake me a pie and a baguette for my birthday! Yum!

View attachment 693370

One thing I had been hearing about for a few years now was the special, rare character training event that takes place at unannounced times at World Showplace in Epcot, so on our way to Daisy, we waited there for a bit to see if any surprises happened, but nothing, so we resolved to meet Daisy and come back. When we returned, a nice young man was waiting as well, and he seemed to know what he was doing, because he started calling whoever he was with saying it was starting soon, and no more than 2 minutes later, the doors opened wide and special characters started spilling out!

The first character I met in this crowd was Wendell! Now, I know absolutely nothing about the Country Bear Jamboree other than the fact that mom and I called it “Country Bear Jamboroo” for no reason at all, so I was a bit disappointed, but he pulled me into a big hug and we had a great interaction, so I now have a new favorite character!

View attachment 693372View attachment 693373

Then, I popped over to see Captain Hook and Mr. Smee, while mom waited in the ever-growing line for Tigger. I handed my phone to the cast member, and was shocked to discover the one and only photo she took of the three of us during our 5 minute conversation, including posing for a photo! 😵 But I managed to confirm that Captain Hook also stays at the Contemporary, based on the time that we were on the same escalator in 2018! Only the best for us!

View attachment 693374

Then, I hopped (ha!) in the line for Tigger and told him about my kitty at home who loves watching Winnie the Pooh videos, and is also orange striped like him! He loved it, and loved my ears as well!

View attachment 693375

Then, I got in line for Rafiki while mom ran over to snag a spot in line for Alice for her last meet of the day. I told Rafiki that he really knows how to celebrate birthdays, with the whole ‘lifting the baby up on Pride Rock’ and all that, and he told me the best thing to do is to eat lots of fruit! Good idea!

View attachment 693376
Great post! What time approximately was the palooza? Is this at the American pavilion?

Great post! What time approximately was the palooza? Is this at the American pavilion?
Thanks so much! The palooza was around 2:10 pm on Wednesday. It's at a hidden pavilion called World Showplace between the UK and Canada pavilions - I think they used to host events there sometimes! You'll see a big set of doors/a big wooden gate there and they'll open up the doors if anything is planned to happen, and a lot of people waiting would peek between the gaps looking for cast members haha!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter