Changing Cash res. to points reservation?

mickeys girl 52

DIS Veteran
I was thinking of doing a Mexican riviera cruise in Oct of 2011 with my sister, I have heard some folks say they initially booked on cash and when the balance was due they changed it to points.

I was wondering if anyone has ever been told they couldn't do this when they tried? Since it is so far off I hate to reserve now on points and get charged another $95.00 for any changes. Tia:)

You can do it as long as you are outside the penalty period. Basically, you are canceling the cash reservation and rebooking on points. Never heard of anyone being not allowed to do it. Since you already have a reservation, there shouldn't be a space issue. I've heard rumors of limiting the number of bookings on points on some cruises, but never heard this confirmed.

What is the incentive to doing this? I plan to rebook for Alaska (summer 2011) on our cruise next week. I was going to book based on using points ( I know that you have to call DVC within 3 days to finalize). Should I make a "cash reservation" and then transfer when I get close to my "paid in full " date? What happens to the cash that was required as a down payment?

If you make a reservation on points you will pay a $95 reservation fee. If you make any changes...moving date, etc., you will pay another $95 fee.

If you book thru DCL on cash you can do whatever you need to the reservation up to the penalty date for no additional cost. You can move the date, add or delete names, or even entirely cancel the cruise.

By transferring to points shortly before the penalty date, you will lose the discounted point chart, but you are able to book when you are sure about your dates, probably will not make changes, etc. The down payment will be refunded to you since you are essentially canceling the cash ressie and booking one on points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter