Changes to Resale

NoodlesMom

DIS Veteran
“Effective for resale purchases submitted on or after January 19, 2019: Disney Vacation Club resale contracts purchased for the original 14 DVC resorts will only be able to exchange into those 14 existing resorts in the DVC network. These contracts will not be able to exchange into Disney’s Riviera Resort, Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge and possibly additional future properties in the DVC system. All Members will still be able to exchange with RCI.

Once sales of Disney’s Riviera Resort begin, Members who purchase a resale of Riviera will only be able to stay at Disney’s Riviera Resort in the DVC network. Those Members will still have access to RCI.”

I just saw this posted on another site. More resale restrictions.

Holy smokes!!
Guess this will drive down the resale market and drive up the rental market.

I wonder if this will also drive sales of CCV in short-term as you get the 50 years, incentives, as well as future resale flexibility....

Is this the first step towards DVC 2?

I can see them saying riviera resale can be used for riviera and future (like reflections) etc... resorts as part of DVC 2

Last edited:

I have no problem with this change. I am for what ever gives me more value for buying direct vs resale.

but this is really a non issue.....so you can only stay at 14 of 16 (riviera and reflections) resorts with new resale. big deal. still plenty of value.

gives me more value for buying direct vs resale.

It would actually give you less value, as the price of your contract would be worth less on the resale market if you ever had to sell it.
Cars that are considered great values are called that because they can resell at a high price later down the road. This does the opposite thing to your money.

but this is really a non issue.....so you can only stay at 14 of 16 (riviera and reflections) resorts with new resale. big deal. still plenty of value.

I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s a non-issue. Resale wouldn’t be able to book at the other 14 resorts as they can now, they would need to exchange their points to be able to book there, they same way DVC members can exchange points to stay at the Disney hotels. As we all know, the exchange is not good.

It would actually give you less value, as the price of your contract would be worth less on the resale market if you ever had to sell it.
Cars that are considered great values are called that because they can resell at a high price later down the road. This does the opposite thing to your money.

For me, the value was in the purchase. And because of the slight chance that I might sell sometime in the future at possibly less money than today (which I highly doubt) doesn't make my points any less valuable to me.

For me, the value was in the purchase. And because of the slight chance that I might sell sometime in the future at possibly less money than today (which I highly doubt) doesn't make my points any less valuable to me.

Then in that case these changes would not affect the value of your purchase one way or another.
For the record, I'm in the same shape as you. I love it for what I get out of it, not the money it is worth. I was just pointing out a logical fallacy.

Then in that case these changes would not affect the value of your purchase one way or another.
For the record, I'm in the same shape as you. I love it for what I get out of it, not the money it is worth. I was just pointing out a logical fallacy.

Great. Happy that you agree because I like your posts!

I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s a non-issue. Resale wouldn’t be able to book at the other 14 resorts as they can now, they would need to exchange their points to be able to book there, they same way DVC members can exchange points to stay at the Disney hotels. As we all know, the exchange is not good.
Why would resale buyers of the 14 have to exchange to use their points on a 14 resort? The right to use other DVC resorts - the 14 - is an appurtenance which follows your ownership (real property) interest and cannot be seperated from it per the language in the deeds. DVC cannot limit your use of that benefit based on the language they used when they created the easement.

Why would resale buyers of the 14 have to exchange to use their points on a 14 resort? The right to use other DVC resorts - the 14 - is an appurtenance which follows your ownership (real property) interest and cannot be seperated from it per the language in the deeds. DVC cannot limit your use of that benefit based on the language they used when they created the easement.

Staying at non-home resorts has always been via exchanging points via the Buena Vista Trading Company. It’s just always been so seamless that we we didn’t realize that’s what we were doing. So no changes there.

Staying at non-home resorts has always been via exchanging points via the Buena Vista Trading Company. It’s just always been so seamless that we we didn’t realize that’s what we were doing. So no changes there.
Yes and Aulani has it’s own exchange co. too, my guess is that Riviera and Reflections will have yet another entity for exchanging, but that shouldn’t change the current exchange system for the original 14 so direct/grandfathered and new resale 14 buyers should still be equal as to the 14.
I assume DVC 2 will have their own exchange co. and direct buyers of those resorts, or maybe even resale buyers of those resorts (we don’t know yet) will be able to book the 14 at 7 months via their new exchange co., whereas only direct/grandfathered buyers of the 14 will be able to book the new 2 (Riviera and Reflections.)

Yes and Aulani has it’s own exchange co. too, my guess is that Riviera and Reflections will have yet another entity for exchanging, but that shouldn’t change the current exchange system for the original 14 so direct/grandfathered and new resale 14 buyers should still be equal as to the 14.
I assume DVC 2 will have their own exchange co. and direct buyers of those resorts, or maybe even resale buyers of those resorts (we don’t know yet) will be able to book the 14 at 7 months via their new exchange co., whereas only direct/grandfathered buyers of the 14 will be able to book the new 2 (Riviera and Reflections.)

I don’t think they are starting a “dvc2” exactly. I think they are tired of losing potential sales to the resale market. Now they can say “the only way to get to stay at this awesome new resort is to buy from us.” They will probably just ignore the fact that there may be resales on the market for that resort, because it’s going to be much harder to sell the new resorts.

I don’t see them letting you exchange for newer resorts as they come on line from riviera and lakeside. if anything once they sell out they may open exchange to the 14 older resorts.

One thing I wonder about is how many more DVC resorts they can build in FL. While they obviously have room they really don't have all that much close to existing resorts or theme parks. There isn't all that much space around Seven Seas Lagoon. The land inside the monorail between TTC and The Contemporary isn't stable enough and the land north of the Contemporary sees too much "backstage" There is a bit between AKL and where Reflection will go but not a whole lot. There is some south of there along Vista Blvd and they have always wanted something that could "tie in" FW and the campgrounds and a bit north of Coronado Springs west of World Drive but that's about it. What's that maybe 3 or 4 new resorts? And who says they even could be exclusively DVC?

no way will we buy into the next resorts. We have enough places to stay now. Disney has lost it's flavor since they started the new look of their rooms. Where's the Disney theme going?

I think that contracts purchased through resales should only be allowed to book at their "Home Resorts" not any of the 14 existing resorts. That may relieve some of the pressure of trying to book at the more desirable resorts. If someone bought a resale at OKW then that should be the only resort they could book. I know there may be a few people who would disagree , but people who paid a premium to buy directly from DVC should have some advantage over those who chose to buy at a lower price on the resale market. I'm sure Disney is thinking about this change to encourage direct sales and lower resale prices for ROFR.

I think that contracts purchased through resales should only be allowed to book at their "Home Resorts" not any of the 14 existing resorts. That may relieve some of the pressure of trying to book at the more desirable resorts. If someone bought a resale at OKW then that should be the only resort they could book. I know there may be a few people who would disagree , but people who paid a premium to buy directly from DVC should have some advantage over those who chose to buy at a lower price on the resale market. I'm sure Disney is thinking about this change to encourage direct sales and lower resale prices for ROFR.

For every person you limit to their home resort, that's another room somebody else cannot switch into. You may not want to stay at OKW, but other owners switch out as well, which is why you as a direct buyer get to change resorts at 7 months.
How does the phrase go - don't cut off the nose to spite the face? Or something along those lines.

Wait....there are 14 DVC resorts?! I thought there were like 9.

Thanks for the update, I’m always curious about DVC.

I’m just waiting for the recession that was promised after 2016. Once we have the recession prices will crash again. It’s a guarantee. Then I’ll buy back into DVC. I owned at BLT and VWL 4 years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter