Chances for a walk up sci fi

jecon

Mouseketeer
We are a party of 3 and want to try sci fi bc we always go to 50s prime time. What are the chances of us getting a walk up reservation for lunch for a Tuesday in July? Of course it's booked solid for now. Doing a TP reservation tracker too

Walk-up chances there are very small.*

*There are nearly always exceptions, and no doubt, someone will come along here and tell us how they once walked up and got a table there. Just know that is a rare exception.

I would keep trying---sometimes things open up when you least expect it. You could always try going super early like around 11 a.m. I remember when we were there two years ago, we got an 11:30 reservation. When we got there at 11:15 the place was empty and it stayed that way until at least almost 12:30 p.m. when we were wrapping up.

We just did it a few days ago. We checked at the podium for a party of 3 at 11:00AM, right when it opened. We were seated with in 10min. You never know, definitely worth a try.

Reactions: amw
Keep checking even on your trip. People will cancel their dining "holds" if it doesn't work with their schedule, or fastpasses, or weather, etc. They will cancel before the $10 charge time. So check your app right up to the day before.

I have a Touring Plans request for sci-fi in August. I did score a BOG with them at 59 days out, but for some reason sci-fi seems more popular. :confused3 I'll keep trying right up to the date. Ya never know. ;)

We just did it a few days ago. We checked at the podium for a party of 3 at 11:00AM, right when it opened. We were seated with in 10min. You never know, definitely worth a try.

Good to know. I will try that too if I have too!

Quick question - was your party of 3 seated in 2 rows of a car? After all this trouble, we want to be in a car but I know 3 isn't ideal number.

Quick question - was your party of 3 seated in 2 rows of a car? After all this trouble, we want to be in a car but I know 3 isn't ideal number.

All three are adults, as DD is 19, so we were seated in two rows of a car. They called DH a hitch hiker!

Reactions: amw
Anytime we've tried for a walk-up we never got one. Once they said they might be able to seat us if we wanted to wait another hour after the dinner rush.
It doesn't hurt to try, you might get lucky, but just don't expect it to be definite. Keep checking for reservations though, that would be the best solution.

Go to the restaurant podium a few minutes before opening time and ask if there will be a table available at any point during the day. That's your best chance. I wouldn't count on being seated without a reservation, but the odds are considerably better then what most people around here seem to think. A willingness to eat at a weird time will definitely help your walk-up chances. Good luck!

A lot of reservations are cancelled a day or two prior to any given date by people who change their plans last minute. Keep watching for open reservations right up until the last day. I think your chances of getting a reservation are pretty good as long as you don't have your heart set on a specific time.

The odds are not in your favor but as others said you got to keep trying and not get upset or lose your mind if you are unsuccessful. My wife want to go to BOG for dinner again this trip but they were booked up the 1st week in July. I just kept checking and checking and finally found an opening. In the past, I have seen so many people lose their minds because they can't get into a restaurant that has ADR on the day they walk into the park.

We are a party of 3 and want to try sci fi bc we always go to 50s prime time. What are the chances of us getting a walk up reservation for lunch for a Tuesday in July? Of course it's booked solid for now. Doing a TP reservation tracker too
You'll wait a long time if there are openings at all. It's the most popular table service in HS. We always have had to wait a while even with our reservation.

Get a free Basic Access account at Touring Plans, & use their reservation finder tool. You'll have a much, much better chance of getting a ressie that way.

If there is a chance you can get in, be prepare to wait. We had an ADR during the holidays and still waited 1/2 hr @ 9:00 - not really worth it IMHO.

Be aware that if you walk up, first priority on cars is given to ADRs so the chances are very small. The PP who got one on a walk up got VERY lucky.

OP, don't forget to also check for ADRs for a party of 4. Sometimes it is easier to get that even number reservation. You will not be penalized for showing up with less people than the reservation was for.

Note: it doesn't work the other way around tho- don't show up with more people than the reservation is for & expect everyone to be seated.

Thanks - Yes my girls are adult-sized 15 & 17 so I guess I will be the hitchhiker! :rotfl2:
Priority for the cars is given to those with reservations. While you might get one as a walk up, frequently walk ups are seated at the round picnic tables in the back. If sitting in a car is important, look for a reservation. As others have suggested, keep checking online for cancellations, subscribe to the cancellation thread for July at the top of the Dining Reservations board and sign up for Touring Plans.

I walked up in April on a weeknight and there was about a 45 minute wait. It's worth a shot. But you probably won't want to sit in a car with a party of 3 because I believe only 2 people fit in a row so someone would have to be alone in their own row. Plus 3 could be tougher getting a walk up for because you'd need two rows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!