CFTOD agenda this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofcabbagesandkings

DIS Veteran
https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...ct-releases-detailed-agenda-for-next-meeting/

I know this thread will likely get shut down as soon as it starts, but can anyone with legal expertise tell me if the new board has any power to void the previous agreement, or when they say they will declare it "void and unenforceable" is that kind of like Michael Scott declaring bankruptcy? It says they're going to "direct their counsel" does that mean a lawsuit is in the works?

Seems like gearing up for the inevitable lawsuits. Interested to see where this ends up honestly.

I noticed the oversight group is going to counter sue Disney, which is to be expected, but they didn't release for what yet. So does that mean they only voted on it and that's it? They didn't actually draft a lawsuit?

I noticed the oversight group is going to counter sue Disney, which is to be expected, but they didn't release for what yet. So does that mean they only voted on it and that's it? They didn't actually draft a lawsuit?
That’s my understanding, they just voted to counter sue but don’t have any documents yet prepared for filing.

They’re also counter suing at the state level which could prove moot if the federal suit sides with Disney (anybody with a legal background feel free to correct me on this).

Did I see correctly that the original judge assigned to the Disney lawsuit as recused himself, siting conflict of interest or something?

The board action would direct its lawyers to draft the lawsuit.
Did I see correctly that the original judge assigned to the Disney lawsuit as recused himself, siting conflict of interest or something?
Actually it wasn't the Judge but instead the Magistrate that recused himself. The original Judge is still in charge and it's easy enough to name a replacement Magistrate.

That’s my understanding, they just voted to counter sue but don’t have any documents yet prepared for filing.

They’re also counter suing at the state level which could prove moot if the federal suit sides with Disney (anybody with a legal background feel free to correct me on this).

The board action would direct its lawyers to draft the lawsuit.

Actually it wasn't the Judge but instead the Magistrate that recused himself. The original Judge is still in charge and it's easy enough to name a replacement Magistrate.
Thanks for the answers! I thought, so but wasn't sure if maybe I missed a link or something to click.

Also the state level countersuit is interesting, there has to be a reason why they would specifically try state level when Disney is going federal.

Also the state level countersuit is interesting, there has to be a reason why they would specifically try state level when Disney is going federal.
I suspect they are doing that because they think the state court would be beholden to the state government. However, Disney's suit is about violations of the US Constitution, which is properly a Federal court's jurisdiction. I'm sure Disney's lawyers will make that point as soon as the Board files their counter suit.

Disney has an ironclad case for federal jurisdiction. It’s all political theater, red meat to rile up the base. When Florida loses they will say the woke courts stopped them. They will then go after the courts. The reality is the people fed the red meat won’t pay attention to why or how Florida lost or the eventual outcome.

LOL. Tom Bricker posted about the countersuit yesterday and said this: "Fast-forward to last week at the normal meeting of the CFTOD, which which the new district’s Board of Supervisors declared that the Development Agreement and Declaration of Restrictive Covenants entered into by and between the (former) Reedy Creek Improvement District (RCID) and Walt Disney Parks & Resorts was void and unenforceable. Consider this analogous to yelling “I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY” on the floor of your office. Just because you loudly and forcefully proclaim it, doesn’t make it legally so."

Thanks Tom, I feel seen. :rotfl2:

I suspect they are doing that because they think the state court would be beholden to the state government. However, Disney's suit is about violations of the US Constitution, which is properly a Federal court's jurisdiction. I'm sure Disney's lawyers will make that point as soon as the Board files their counter suit.

The Florida Constitution has a free speech provision.

SECTION 4. Freedom of speech and press.—Every person may speak, write and publish sentiments on all subjects but shall be responsible for the abuse of that right. No law shall be passed to restrain or abridge the liberty of speech or of the press. In all criminal prosecutions and civil actions for defamation the truth may be given in evidence. If the matter charged as defamatory is true and was published with good motives, the party shall be acquitted or exonerated.​

However, it’s complicated because the speech of Bob Chapek took place in California.

The Florida Constitution has a free speech provision.

SECTION 4. Freedom of speech and press.—Every person may speak, write and publish sentiments on all subjects but shall be responsible for the abuse of that right. No law shall be passed to restrain or abridge the liberty of speech or of the press. In all criminal prosecutions and civil actions for defamation the truth may be given in evidence. If the matter charged as defamatory is true and was published with good motives, the party shall be acquitted or exonerated.​

However, it’s complicated because the speech of Bob Chapek took place in California.
Disney's suit is much more complex than just free speech, not that free speech should be trivialized. Disney is complaining about the Contracts Clause and a few other rights enshrined in the constitution.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...ct-releases-detailed-agenda-for-next-meeting/

I know this thread will likely get shut down as soon as it starts, but can anyone with legal expertise tell me if the new board has any power to void the previous agreement, or when they say they will declare it "void and unenforceable" is that kind of like Michael Scott declaring bankruptcy? It says they're going to "direct their counsel" does that mean a lawsuit is in the works?
Well if the new board had the power to unilaterally just void the agreement, they wouldn't need to be suing to do so would they?

That's too bad - locked I expected, deleted surprises me. There was a lot of really good info in that thread.
I agree it had some good information.

Just about every thread on the subject so far has ended up being deleted instead of locked. Best guess is that it is due to what some posters end up posting and then the responses to those posts, the mods feel it would be better to just delete the thread instead of letting it sit out there or trying to clean it up.

Psy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!