Central California Weather in May/June

Lisa P.

Peaceful, Worshipful, Joyful
We're planning to visit San Francisco, Yosemite & Anaheim next year in late May or early June. What can we expect the weather to be like? How about in the evenings? TIA! :)

You'll likely find different weather in those three areas at the same time of year! San Francisco tends to be cool in May/June. It can be foggy and cool in the evenings. Right now, we're having a fairly warm week and it's in the 70s and even 80s during the day. It can also be windy at this time of year. Definitely bring a jacket!

Yosemite is generally warm in spring/summer but can also get cool at night. So. California is also generally warm at this time of year but can be cool too. We went to Disneyland in mid-June a few years ago and it was cool and windy most days. Other times we've been there at this time of year and it was warm during the days and evenings.

Your best bet is to start checking the weather forecasts a week or so before you go to determine what to pack.

We were just in Anaheim.

Weather was not nice

Sun did not come out til after 1:00 pm and it was cloudy/smoggy until then .

I heard the sun does not come out until this time from Spring to Fall. So no sun in the morning

A couple of days the sun never came out.

When the sun did finally come out in afternoon for a bit, the winds picked up and even though it was 80 it did not feel like it with the winds

Is this normal?

Every year is alittle different. San Francisco can be quite foogy this time of year. Plan on it being fairly cool. June will probably be more so than May. I still can't believe how much we freeze in August when we go!

Yosemite will be balmy weather, most likely, but cools down incredibly quickly as the sun sets. That's the mountains for you.

Southern Cal...usually beautiful this time of year. Not too hot yet, Santa Ana winds usually don't kick up til later in the summer, as I recall, and the fog isn't usually a problem either.

That being said...this year has been odd. Tahoe is getting snow in its highest peaks. But earlier in the week we were seeing record highs.

Keep a close eye on the weather reports right before you leave and go with it, but plan on some cool weather JUST IN CASE.

We were just at all the locations you mentioned. Our trip was from May 19-28.
The weather was similar in all these places during our trip. It was in the low seventies or high sixties during the day, and in the mid to high fifties in the morning. We had no rain. It was gorgeous.
Sometimes it was a bit breezy in San Francisco, so that made it feel cooler than it was.
After experiencing such glorious weather, we arrived home in Memphis, where it was in the high 80s and humid!
Hope you have a similar experience when you go.

During May-June, we have an assortment of weather here. Northern California coast tends to be foggy in the a.m. with the sun coming out around noon. The last week or so, it has been unusually warm on the coast w/ no fog in the morning. Highs in the 70's. Southern Cal will be a little warmer. DL tends to be hot during mid-day during the summer. When we've gone during summer months, we hit the park first thing in the morning, then head back to our room in the early afternoon for a rest. We return in the evening about 5 or so. Evenings in So-cal are generally very nice. Yosemite will be hot during the day, but will cool down alot as soon as the sun sets. The one thing about California is that we don't have the humidity here that you tend to get on the east coast during the summer. Our weather has been really sporadic over the last few years. We don't have distinct seasons like we used to have when I was a kid. Ed

We are planning a San Fran to DLR trip in early to mid June next year. I was surprised how cool central CA is that time of year! It will be a nice break from the 90s and high humidity of Texas! It is going to be difficult to pack light!! Thanks for the good info!

I wouldn't call the SF Bay area central CA. That area has it's own little climate, and tends to be very cold during the summer months. The rest of the central part of the state (non-coastal) is typically in the 90s to 100s.

I only menion this for those who do searches - you want to use the right terminology. CA has many micro-climates - deserts, mountains, coasts, and you need to be specific when you look.

I'm in sunny Sacramento, 105 and climbing. :)

Agree w/ the previous poster. You are actually referring to two different areas. There is the central coast area which can cover anywhere from Santa Cruz county down thru San Luis Obispo county. Then there is the central valley. That is the entire valley that sits between the Sierra Nevadas and the Coast Range. California has just about every type of climate zone imaginable. I grew up in the central valley; I now live on the central coast. Generally very hot in the central valley during the summer w/ a little more humidity due to all the farming done there. The coast is a crap shoot during summer months. We had beautiful sunny weather the week of the 4th. This week we've had sun and then a couple days where it was cold and overcast all day long at the beach. You only need to drive a few miles inland though and you're back in the sunshine. This summer has turned out to be the warmest coastal summer that we've had in a few years. It's been perfection so far.

I was just looking at coastal temps and they all seemed to be in the mid 60s to low 70s, even in coastal SoCal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter