cell phone swap????

grover

DIS Veteran
So I was reading the cell phone thread at the top of the forums here..and dh & started talking about this-we don't want to pay thru the nose to use our Rogers cells down there, so we pretty much agreed we should look into buying one of those cheapo pay as you go phones down there. We will have to get 2..one for us and one for ds.

Then we thought about swapping it..has anyone thought of doing that? We only go every 2 years so no point in having a phone sit around for that long if someone else can get in on the action!

I have no idea how one plans this though..or maybe people all ready do this?
Or maybe it is just not something that is feasible?

Just thinking out loud:goodvibes

I'd even be willing to rent them for a week. I wonder if that's possible? Really, it's just to keep in touch with the people you're traveling with.

I wonder if there's any real problem with using the phones that were originally sold to someone else? Don't know how comfortable I would feel if I were the original purchaser?

Phone swap sounds like a great idea otherwise.

Phone swap is a good idea, but you're talking about an item that costs $10 - $15. It may not be worth the bother to swap.

Buy as $20 phone a the Virgin Store in DTD. Then buy $20 air time card. More than you'll need while your down there. Going again in 2 years? Reactivate it with another card.

If phone is dormant for 3 months is stops working.

Going on a trip to NYC activate it there.

We were down with friends who did that last time. Much cheaper than the Rogers add on plan. Bonus you can call the cell locally from you hotel room no LD charges back to the GWN.
No $.60 charge for txt messages like Rogers and Bell gouge you with.

First stop for us next time at WDW will be Sir Richard's shop.
Richard-Branson.jpg

so when you buy these cheapie pay as you go phones..are you required to give credit card or other personal info when you activate?

I have 3 of these. No you don't give CC info but you do give personal info like address.

We have let ours go inactive and then we just reactivate it when we go again. It's free to reactive it. Or if we know we are going again within a yr we will put a 100 card on it and it's good for a yr.

We use AT & T and we get the phones for 9.95 and if we call anyone else on the same company it's free. So when we call each other it's free. We just pay for calls to call home. It works great for us.

where do you pick up the AT&T phones from?
that is a good price..i want super cheap..we are not heading back there anytime soon after our trip in the spring..so not wanting to pay much for 2 phones :-)

I have a AT&T PAYG sim card with a 407 area number that I'd be glad to lend to anybody with an unlocked phone. It would be easy to trade, just with a bit of plastic in a regular envelope.

We were looking at a virgin phone at 9.95 including 9.95 worth of minutes. But the AT&T wireless to wireless looks good. But I see on the website there is a dollar per day usage charge. Is this per phone? Looks like Virgin is still a better deal.

any one with ideas?

I have a Tracfone. I think I paid about $15 for it. I used to keep it active by adding a card every 3 months but then I found out you could let itgo and then reactivate it. The bonus to having a Tracfone is that there are online codes available that get you bonus minutes, usually you can get double. Plus, there is no long distance charges and you can register online to get a special phone number that allows someone to call you from Canada without paying long distance charges.

I have a Tracfone. I think I paid about $15 for it. I used to keep it active by adding a card every 3 months but then I found out you could let itgo and then reactivate it. The bonus to having a Tracfone is that there are online codes available that get you bonus minutes, usually you can get double. Plus, there is no long distance charges and you can register online to get a special phone number that allows someone to call you from Canada without paying long distance charges.

That is exactly what I was just wondering.... do you have to keep it active every 3 months. We are going in December and then driving to Daytona in March (slightly more than 3 months) was just wondering if there was a reactivation charge, etc. Seems to good to be true??? I just really hate paying roaming charges from my company and would love to check this out.

That is exactly what I was just wondering.... do you have to keep it active every 3 months. We are going in December and then driving to Daytona in March (slightly more than 3 months) was just wondering if there was a reactivation charge, etc. Seems to good to be true??? I just really hate paying roaming charges from my company and would love to check this out.

I don't believe there is a charge to re-activate. The info that I have is that if the phone goes dormant they will have to re-activate it with a new phone number.

If you are using it in Dec. and then in Mar. I would buy a 30 day card and a 90 day card ($10 and $20). That way you don't lose any minutes that you have left over from the first trip. You can even activate them at the same time....the minutes and the expiry dates roll over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter