Cell Phone (Canadian using cell in USA)

Mama Bear Me2

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone!

Sorry in advance. Posting my question here and also on Canadian Planning Forum to increase chance of getting help AND sorry for the long post coming up!

EXTREMLY SORRY … super newbie when it comes to cell phones so please excuse the many questions … don’t even have my own cell in Canada so will be 1st time owner when I visit the USA!

Scenario:

Who: Canadian travelling to L.A. & Anaheim, CA area.

Time frame: about 3 weeks (since we’re also visiting family).

What: Will be bringing “unlocked” cell phones. Don’t know too much about cell phones (again one of those rare people who don’t own a cell phone) so have very limited knowledge of what’s best way to “avoid” roaming charges while in the USA.

Used For: Texting spouse when separated, checking wait times at Disneyland, odd phone call

USA Cell Phone Use: Based on my research, it appears that the following 2 options might be our “best” options for cell phone use while visiting the L.A. & Anaheim area:

1) T-Mobile Tourist Plan (once IN USA visit T-Mobile Store & pick up the SIM Card Kit)

2) Roam Mobility (get this BEFORE we leave Canada)

Questions:

1) Anyone have experience with either T-Mobile Tourist Plan OR Roam Mobility? Is one better than the other?

2) What was “coverage” like for either T-Mobile OR Roam Mobility? Did you require a lot of “roaming” while in the L.A. & Anaheim area? Does T-Mobile OR Roam Mobility charge "extra" for "roaming" while in the L.A. or Anaheim area OR does this come off your "data allowance"?

3) What was the signal like? Strong signal? What about signal strength when in Disneyland?

4) “Think” that Roam Mobility “uses” T-Mobile network so coverage should be the similar to T-Mobile?

5) Is it even possible to get 4G LTE speed while in Disneyland? Heard that data service was “spotty” in Disneyland which made it “slow”.

6) Is 1 GB or 2 GB enough data room if our plan is mostly to text & to check wait times on Disneyland app? Again … about 3 weeks in USA but NOT all that time spent at Disneyland.

7) If I use up my allotted 4G LTE data speed AND am “throttled” back to “2G” speed is this speed still sufficient to send texts and to check wait times on the Disneyland app? Meaning: is 2G speed much too slow to be of any good while in Disneyland to check wait times or sent texts? How long should I expect the wait time app “page” to load? Minutes?

8) Hints to “reduce” data usage … what do I need to “turn off” OR “do” as I understand that cell phones will do “updates” and use data without my knowledge.

9) Any other suggestions for “other” cell phone options while in the USA?

Many thanks for your patience and for helping this cell phone newbie! Please answer what you can! Appreciate your time!! :-) :worship:

9) I bring an unlocked iPhone down to the US on each trip. Prior to my departure (by a couple of weeks) I order a SIM card from Telaway. Immediately BEFORE we leave Canada (for me usually once we board the plane in Vancouver before they ask that you switch them off) I forward my cell phone to the provided CANADIAN number associated with the SIM card by Telaway, I then remove my Canadian SIM card and insert the US SIM card into my phone. I now have unlimited calling, texting and data on my phone (though it does slow down after 4 or 5 GBs). There are different prices based on how long you'll be in the US but I find the cost per day really reasonable and I love that my phone is forwarded to a Canadian number so anyone who wants to reach me can call my usual number and I don't have to worry about anything.

7) The reduced speed is still plenty fast to do what you want to do.

Sorry I didn't answer all of your questions but I hope I helped nonetheless. I haven't really had too many problems connecting around Disneyland (except when we got stuck on Indy right when I was supposed to be checking us in for our flights and I couldn't get a signal in the ride but that's a situation unlikely to be replicated)

5) Is it even possible to get 4G LTE speed while in Disneyland? Heard that data service was “spotty” in Disneyland which made it “slow”.

7) If I use up my allotted 4G LTE data speed AND am “throttled” back to “2G” speed is this speed still sufficient to send texts and to check wait times on the Disneyland app? Meaning: is 2G speed much too slow to be of any good while in Disneyland to check wait times or sent texts? How long should I expect the wait time app “page” to load? Minutes?

I've not been to Disneyland yet, but I can maybe help with a couple of the more generic questions.

As far as speed in the parks go, I've read a couple of threads that indicate you can get 4G speeds in the parks. I've also seen mention that during certain peak network use times (before parades, before WOC, etc when people are "catching up" on their phones) they'll see network speeds reduce. I've seen people attribute this to the type phone you have, but I can tell you that in general any network can get congested when too many users try to do too much on the network. I've seen this at lots of different events (concerts, sports events) and know that the cell network works like any other network. If you get too much water flowing through the same hose, things will occasionally back up.

When it comes to data usage, there are a couple of things to understand. First, in general, SMS messages are sent over the voice network, not the data network. That means typical text messages do not go against your data cap. That said, I understand that iPhones don't necessarily obey that scenario. Something about the way the iPhone sends text messages uses data, by default. I'm not sure if this can be turned off. I'm not an Apple guy. Second, the SMS behavior is specific to your phone's SMS application. Applications like Facebook messaging, WhatsApp & Google Hangouts are not SMS text messages, they use data.

We have used ROAM and been very happy with the service. The coverage is good in major cities. If you go out in more rural areas you will likely have trouble. They have a coverage map you can check out.
You don't pay anything extra with roam. You load up your card and it will notify you when it runs out. You can top it up online or by texting from the phone. Last year I had to add another day when we got bumped from our flight home and it was easy.
1 or 2 GB of data should be plenty.

We used ROAM on our trips before and have had great success with it. With no wifi in DLR parks and having to use the app to monitor wait times its essential to have data while in the parks for sure.

Have fun!

THANKS ALL for your help!

I don't currently own a phone but intend to purchase one for my trip. Just need a basic phone, entry level phone because once I return to Canada, I will most likely only use phone for texting & calling (not sure about the data usage). Therefore, I most likely will go onto a prepaid plan instead of a monthly plan as I probably won't be a heavy user.

Anyway ... I was thinking of buying the Samsung Galaxy J3 since there's a sale on right now. Any ideas if this is a good phone? Any other suggestions?

Also, I understand that I need to have a phone which works with the carrier's frequencies. Does anyone know if the Samsung Galaxy J3 is compatible with T-Mobile frequencies? Roam Mobility frequencies?

Here are the specs for Samsung Galaxy J3 (NO IDEA WHAT ALL THE FOLLOWING MEANS ... just copying & pasting here):

Network/Bearer (S/W Enabled):

• 2G GSM
GSM850, GSM900, DCS1800, PCS1900

• 3G UMTS
B1(2100), B2(1900), B4(AWS), B5(850)

• 4G FDD LTE
B1(2100), B2(1900), B4(AWS), B5(850), B7(2600), B12(700), B17(700)

Connectivity

• ANT+
No

• USB Version
USB 2.0

• Location Technology
GPS, Glonass

• Earjack
3.5mm Stereo

• MHL
No

• Wi-Fi
802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz

• Wi-Fi Direct
Yes

• Bluetooth Version
Bluetooth v4.1

• NFC
No

• Bluetooth Profiles
A2DP, AVRCP, DI, HFP, HID, HOGP, HSP, MAP, OPP, PAN, PBAP

• PC Sync.
Smart Switch (PC version)

I've checked the carrier's website and tried comparing specs and this is me: :confused3:confused: what???

Any enlightenment you can provide would be greatly appreciated!:thanks::worship:

Which carrier do you plan on going with? Telus? Bell? Rogers? I've heard of incompatibility issues with smaller carriers when crossing into the US but I'm with Bell so I've never had an issue when in the US.

As for ROAM, if you are just getting a phone, you'll likely be under a contract which means that the phone is locked to the carrier (ie my phone is locked to the Bell network). To use ROAM, you need an unlocked phone.

For me, I'm likely going to go with the Bell $5/day roaming thing. It's not terrible but it's not great. You get unlimited talk/text but only 100mb of data. I'm unsure how much I'll be on data but I also checked and the Disneyland app doesn't eat a lot of data. Just be sure to sign out of things like emails and other stuff so they don't automatically refresh and incur data.

Which carrier do you plan on going with? Telus? Bell? Rogers? I've heard of incompatibility issues with smaller carriers when crossing into the US but I'm with Bell so I've never had an issue when in the US.

As for ROAM, if you are just getting a phone, you'll likely be under a contract which means that the phone is locked to the carrier (ie my phone is locked to the Bell network). To use ROAM, you need an unlocked phone.

For me, I'm likely going to go with the Bell $5/day roaming thing. It's not terrible but it's not great. You get unlimited talk/text but only 100mb of data. I'm unsure how much I'll be on data but I also checked and the Disneyland app doesn't eat a lot of data. Just be sure to sign out of things like emails and other stuff so they don't automatically refresh and incur data.

Hi!

1) Don't know which carrier I'll be using in Canada. Still haven't purchased my phone as I'm still in the "choosing" stages. However, one of the reasons I was thinking of the Samsung Galaxy J3 for an entry level phone was because once I purchased it, I could get it unlocked (phone will lock to 1st SIM card I insert BUT I can get a code to unlock it since I will be out right buying the phone). This is my understanding BUT I will need to contact Samsung customer service to confirm.

2) Roam Mobility: Once I unlock my phone I think I should be able to use Roam Mobility's USA plan assuming that the Samsung Galaxy J3 is compatible with Roam's frequencies.

3) Data: Thanks for the info! Good to hear that the Disneyland app doesn't use much data! However, I just read on another thread (MaxPass thread?) that sometimes Disney experiences system wide problems (all systems down) and nothing works regardless of whether or not you have data so all the worrying I'm doing about having enough data for the Disneyland App could all be for naught! LOL! :-)

Thanks again everyone for your feedback and advice! Please continue to share your knowledge! :-)

Hi Again! Need more advice please!

re: FREEDOM MOBILE:

1) Anyone use "Freedom Mobile" for their Canadian carrier? (Previously: Wind Mobile & name change since Shaw bought out Wind)

2) How's the connectivity in "Canada"? I'm reading mixed reviews ... some say OK others say terrible.

3) What about Freedom Mobile's customer service?

4) Anyone use the $15/mo Ready to Go: USA add on when they travelled to Disneyland?

5) Also, how was the connectivity in Disneyland (understand that amount of traffic affects connectivity but there's always going to be a lot people trying to connect to data in the parks).

Note: USA partner is AT&T (used to be T-Mobile but now switched to AT & T)

6) Are SIM cards "1 time use"? Meaning this: if I buy a SIM card for Freedom Mobile and activate it AND then decided to try another carrier AND then decided to revert back to Freedom Mobile would I be able to use my "original" SIM card instead of buying a new SIM card? I'm "guessing" that I can re-use my "original" SIM card since it will contain all my information that I need for my phone?

Thanks again for helping me (total newbie) on my journey to owning my 1st cell phone!:thanks:

Edited to Add: Why Freedom Mobile as my Canadian carrier? Because I just need talk & text and they have a $25 plan which looks good (in writing!) and also they offer an add on for USA travel @ $15/mo = cheaper than going the T-Mobile or Roam Mobility route. Thanks!! :-)

Cell companies now have to unlock your phone when asked...for a fee of course! We use Telus here at home and have ROAM sim cards for our US trips.

We have used Roam for the past several trips to the US, and to DL in particular.

There had been no signal concerns at any of locations we have been at. (LA, Denver, Salt Lake City, Seattle, Phoenix, St. Thomas or Fort Lauderdale). This was helpful when the DW and I were in separate locations during a screwed up trip. We could talk, text and had no signal problems in any of the locations.

The Data, text, talk package was more than sufficient for our needs. BUT, we are not heavy bandwidth users, we did not steam TV, run Netflix, or Skype. (tho Skype did work when I had a quick session with my Mom).. and if you are planning to stream movies in DL, why?????

Make sure that your unlocked phones are comparable with Roam. Our IPhone 4's were not comparable, but our 5 and 6s's were.

BTW, if my carrier didn't have such freaking high roaming rates, I would use them (I need full country cell signal, so the cheap services don't meet my needs). Switching SIM cards on the plane, making sure all my contacts had our US numbers, etc is a hassle, and not one I really like doing.

EDIT: the Roam package is more than sufficient for using the Disney App, and texting. You will never hit the 1Gb data limit. It is watching movies that will eat up your data.

Last edited:
BTW, if my carrier didn't have such freaking high roaming rates, I would use them (I need full country cell signal, so the cheap services don't meet my needs). Switching SIM cards on the plane, making sure all my contacts had our US numbers, etc is a hassle, and not one I really like doing.

This is why I like telaway. They give you a Canadian number to forward your cell # to so friends and family can just call your regular number (though they get texts from your US number which can be confusing) I haven't tried Roam though.

Cell companies now have to unlock your phone when asked...for a fee of course! We use Telus here at home and have ROAM sim cards for our US trips.

Can you unlock your phone while it's still under contract? I'm asking because if that's the case, I may go with ROAM.

Looking into TelAway, we're doing a 6 day trip and you get billed a flat $50 USD for any trip under 10 days. Even though ROAM, you pay for the SIM card off the top, then get billed for days you use, I think, overall, if you continue using your ROAM sim card, ROAM may be better bang for your buck.

Can you unlock your phone while it's still under contract? I'm asking because if that's the case, I may go with ROAM.

Looking into TelAway, we're doing a 6 day trip and you get billed a flat $50 USD for any trip under 10 days. Even though ROAM, you pay for the SIM card off the top, then get billed for days you use, I think, overall, if you continue using your ROAM sim card, ROAM may be better bang for your buck.

Absolutely you can! Just call your carrier and ask them to unlock it. It will cost but they will do it.

Thank you again everyone for your help!

By the way, a poster on the Canadian Planning Forum suggested to check out the following link to see if your phone is compatible with the USA carrier's frequencies (good to know before you pay for a roaming package to only find out that it doesn't work!):

http://willmyphonework.net/

Thanks again for your help! :-)

Update:

Hi ... I previously asked about Freedom Mobile (previously: Wind) AND I was warned by 2 different posters on the Canadian Forum to avoid this carrier at all costs. They both said that cell service was unreliable (eg. roaming charges in Canada and even once they left their city limits, having to stand in the street to get cell reception in the middle of winter). Since I don't want to pay for services that I can't use, I am no longer considering Freedom (previously: Wind) as for my Canadian carrier.

I'm now looking at using FIDO ... anyone with comments/suggestions/warnings about FIDO?

I think I made a wise choice to consult with the Disboard experts and I think I just "dodged a bullet"!

Many thanks for your help and patience as I keep going on an on about this topic!! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter