Celebrating Jack's 21st birthday Disney style! ~ update 08/22

Happy Birthday to your boys! 19 is the drinking age up there?? My DS could be legal right now! 😱
He certainly could! Jamie and Stuart haven't gone out anywhere to celebrate because we are in yet another stay at home order/lockdown. When I was growing up in PEI, the drinking age was 18! (and still is in Quebec)
And congratulations on your vaccine! What’s taking them so long up there? My kids have already gotten their first shots. Come on, Northern neighbors, get it together!
Kelly, our vaccine rollout is an absolute travesty! We are in the thick of a heavy third wave here with 4,700 cases today in Ontario alone (pop 14.3 million). We are currently on spring break but have been told schools will be closed indefinitely due to high community transmission. So I go back to the joys of online kindergarten on Monday..... I am trying to be positive as I at least got my first shot but they are spacing out shots 4 months apart as they want to get a first dose into as many people as possible. I want my boys to be vaccinated desperately but who knows how long it be before they get to 19-21 year olds.

I am trying to stay focused on happy things and not worry about things out of my control. I am holding on to hope for Jack and I to be able to travel in August but we will have to see how the current situation plays out. So glad to hear your two are vaccinated, that is awesome!

Just booked another trip!!!

I had been hunting for availability at Boulder Ridge for next March Break and nothing was showing up for a studio. I resigned myself to going on the waitlist and went on the DVC site this morning to do so. Imagine my surprise when my dates were available!! So I quickly booked for March 14th to the 19th. I am going to try out one of the moderate resorts (maybe CBR or POFQ) from the 12th to the 14th. I am so excited to have booked this trip! I think it will be more a low key trip with maybe 3-4 park days and a couple of full resort days. Of course I can't wait to be at Flower and Garden again as I haven't been to it since 2019.

Just had to share my happiness! :goodvibes

Good for you! Great news!!
So now I have August 7-15/21 (doubtful), December 17-22 (probable) and March 14-19/22 (definite!). Fingers crossed for more vaccinations and an open border!

Did you get your shot yet?

Just added a night for August!

It's starting to feel like this trip might happen! Vaccine rollout is improving and Jack's age group will be eligible as of May 24th. As well, there is talk of vaccine passports to possibly allow for some international travel this summer! So I have been perusing flights and finally committed to booking our arrival night at Coronado Springs before starting our DVC stay. I got a great summer discount rate of $214 USD which is fully refundable up to five days before travel. So while I'm not 100% sure this trip will happen, I am bit more confident than I was. It's always fun to have a trip to dream about!

It's starting to feel like this trip might happen! Vaccine rollout is improving and Jack's age group will be eligible as of May 24th.
Good... and good!
Here they're talking about everyone 12 and up eligible by end of month. Fingers crossed... for all of us!
As well, there is talk of vaccine passports to possibly allow for some international travel this summer!
Saw that the G7 was considering that. Should be interesting.

Good luck!

I am going to try out one of the moderate resorts (maybe CBR or POFQ) from the 12th to the 14th. I am so excited to have booked this trip!
FWIW, I enjoyed CSR a lot more than CBR. A bit smaller and really nice rooms. While the CBR DOES Have the 'Liner, it was a pretty short bus ride to all the parks from CSR with the same amount of stops. The tower is definitely very lovely and very upscale/deluxe feeling.

Here they're talking about everyone 12 and up eligible by end of month. Fingers crossed... for all of us!
I was thrilled to hear Pfizer was approved for 12 and up. I didn't realize Manitoba would be able to schedule them so quickly. Hopefully we will see the same in Ontario. I really want them to accelerate the second shot schedule.
Saw that the G7 was considering that. Should be interesting.
There's a lot to consider with a vaccine passport but I am all for anything that will allow me to travel
FWIW, I enjoyed CSR a lot more than CBR. A bit smaller and really nice rooms. While the CBR DOES Have the 'Liner, it was a pretty short bus ride to all the parks from CSR with the same amount of stops. The tower is definitely very lovely and very upscale/deluxe feeling.
I am hoping to stay at CSR this summer on our arrival trip. It does look lovely. If that trip doesn't happen, I will definitely consider CSR for the two days in March. I'd love to be able to say I have stayed at all the WDW resorts, even if only for a night or two. It's fun to check them out and see what they have to offer. :)

I didn't realize Manitoba would be able to schedule them so quickly. Hopefully we will see the same in Ontario. I really want them to accelerate the second shot schedule.
I think it's a function of 1. a lot smaller population and 2. a good chunk of our population is older and have already had the shot.
There's a lot to consider with a vaccine passport but I am all for anything that will allow me to travel
:thumbsup2

Another happy vaccination day!

All three of my boys (19, 19 and 21) got their first jabs today! There was a pop up clinic this weekend and I was lucky to get appointments for all three. They got the Moderna vaccine and are feeling great. In other happy news, Ontario is going to go ahead with second shots for those of us who took AstraZeneca! It will either be at the 10 or 12 week mark so I should be fully vaccinated by the end of June at the latest. So you know what that means.......our August trip is looking more likely by the minute. Hooray!!

All three of my boys (19, 19 and 21) got their first jabs today!
Nice! Bet you're relieved.
My girls are both getting their first shot in just over a week. One stays home, but the other is a teacher and I worry about her.
In other happy news, Ontario is going to go ahead with second shots for those of us who took AstraZeneca! It will either be at the 10 or 12 week mark so I should be fully vaccinated by the end of June at the latest. So you know what that means.......our August trip is looking more likely by the minute. Hooray!!
That's great news! :goodvibes

Nice! Bet you're relieved.
So relieved! :)
My girls are both getting their first shot in just over a week. One stays home, but the other is a teacher and I worry about her.
Awesome! Especially for your daughter who is teaching. Are schools online or in class right now? We are still online in Ontario.
That's great news! :goodvibes
I am definitely feeling optimistic! Not 100% of course but getting closer. :goodvibes

Awesome! Especially for your daughter who is teaching. Are schools online or in class right now? We are still online in Ontario.
Mostly online now as of a week and a half ago. But she still has some students in class.
am definitely feeling optimistic! Not 100% of course but getting closer. :goodvibes
::yes::

Another happy vaccination day!

All three of my boys (19, 19 and 21) got their first jabs today! There was a pop up clinic this weekend and I was lucky to get appointments for all three. They got the Moderna vaccine and are feeling great. In other happy news, Ontario is going to go ahead with second shots for those of us who took AstraZeneca! It will either be at the 10 or 12 week mark so I should be fully vaccinated by the end of June at the latest. So you know what that means.......our August trip is looking more likely by the minute. Hooray!!
What are you hearing about your border opening? Is it mostly conflicting information or is there more sure news lately? What are your dates again?

What are you hearing about your border opening? Is it mostly conflicting information or is there more sure news lately? What are your dates again?
We still don't have any firm news but I am feeling hopeful. Rumours are swirling about June 22nd and the transport minister said yesterday that we will have more information in the next few weeks. An expert panel to assess the border/quarantine hotels etc was called and they had some interesting advice for vaccinated travelers.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-advisory-panel-report-1.6043473
I am starting to think this trip really could happen! We are August 7th through the 15th. :)

We still don't have any firm news but I am feeling hopeful. Rumours are swirling about June 22nd and the transport minister said yesterday that we will have more information in the next few weeks. An expert panel to assess the border/quarantine hotels etc was called and they had some interesting advice for vaccinated travelers.
I am starting to think this trip really could happen! We are August 7th through the 15th. :)
I guess from the article there is good news and bad news. I guess only time is going to tell. I hope it happens soon though!!

Plane tickets are booked!!!

Well a few weeks ago I wasn't 100% if the trip was happening. Now our vaccination rates are booming (I can book my second dose as of tomorrow) and Jack should be able to have his 2nd by early to mid July. So we will both be fully vaccinated before travelling!

Then I had such sad news.....my cousin's husband is battling esophageal cancer. Then on Friday, she took her 14 year old daughter to the doctor as she had been feeling really tired for a few weeks. My cousin thought maybe she was run down or stressed about her Dad. It turns out she was diagnosed with leukemia and taken by ambulance to the hospital in Halifax. My heart is breaking for my cousin and her family. It just goes to show you how quickly life can change.

With learning all of that, I decided that there is absolutely no point in waiting for the news of the border/quarantine requirements before booking. I went ahead and booked our plane tickets and we will deal with whatever we have to deal with when we return to Canada.

We are seizing the day and making memories on my first ever mom/son trip celebrating Jack's 21st! I am so grateful to have this time with my firstborn. We are making the memories of a lifetime and I can't let the opportunity to do so pass us by.

So let the celebrating begin!! We are going home to our happy place!!

Last edited:
Well a few weeks ago I wasn't 100% if the trip was happening. Now our vaccination rates are booming (I can book my second dose as of tomorrow) and Jack should be able to have his 2nd by early to mid July. So we will both be fully vaccinated before travelling!
Great!
Then I had such sad news.....my cousin's husband is battling esophageal cancer. Then on Friday, she took her 14 year old daughter to the doctor as she had been feeling really tired for a few weeks. My cousin thought maybe she was run down or stressed about her Dad. It turns out she was diagnosed with leukemia and taken by ambulance to the hospital in Halifax. My heart is breaking for my cousin and her family. It just goes to show you how quickly life can change.
:(

Such awful, terrible news.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter