Celebrating 15 years Happily Ever After

Templemom

Mouseketeer
Hello! Welcome to my pre trip report. 11 weeks away seemed a good time to start.
Info

what: 7 night western Caribbean cruise (first cruise ever!)
When: April 23 to April 30 2022
Why: 15 year Anniversary trip
Who:

Krystal 42 (trip reporter)
Eric 41 (maker of all dreams come true)
Dec 31 2021

Cast of characters not joining us on the cruise
DD Temple (12)

Temple with a cameo of one of our fur babies Carter

DD Eden (10)

Eden girlscout picnic

DS Joshua (8)

Joshua Family camp weekend

Next up, How this trip came to be.....

I’ve always wanted to go on a cruise. I was 18 when Disney cruise line started up. And I watched commercials with envy. Couldn’t wait til I could go. Life, of course happened and no cruise made its appearance.
last year around April I was missing traveling so started really thinking about what I wanted to do for my next solo trip. I travel solo mostly to Florida because my littles don’t like flying and aren’t as Big of a fan of Disney or Universal as mom is. I also use the trips as a stress release, a busy mom of three and a home health care provider for my mom needs to get away. So….. back to April, I was looking at cruising for my solo option this time, was trying to find the right fit, travel dates and length of cruise and I came across the western Caribbean cruise itinerary that goes to Cozumel. I love ancient history and the excursion to Chichen Itza sounded amazing. I brought my iPad up to my hubby to see what he thought of the cruise. And he said…. That sounds amazing, I’d want to go to…

……
that s an amazing idea!
so we really started looking into the dates and to see if any would work for both of us leaving. we haven’t had a vacation just the two of us since we had kids. The April 23 week was at the same time as the kids vacation week here in NH. My mom had been getting healthier and more independent with the ot and pt she was getting, and we had family and friends that would be able to help with keeping the kids entertained while we were gone. We remembered that it would be our 15 year anniversary in 2022. It seemed to line up perfectly.
I contacted Disney dream’s unlimited and got a travel agent and booked. The. Cruise.
I am so excited to get to share this cruise with my husband.
next up, airline troubles

56 days away 😃😃

we are flying spirit. Our original flights were Friday the 22nd leaving Boston at 5 pm, landing in Fort Lauderdale at 8:24 and the flying from there to Orlando at 10 with an arrival time of 11:05.
on the return flight we had Orlando to Boston 12pm to 2:57.

I wasn’t too happy with the arrival flight as I hate layovers and it got us to Orlando so late, though our hotel is the airport Hyatt so no extra transfers there . The only other flight they had that I liked was $200 more.
on January 15th we got an email from spirit that they moved our flights. Both were in the morning, 6am on debarkation day 🤣. neither worked for us so we went to modify them. We ended up getting the arrival flight I wanted. Boston to Orlando 4:10 to 7:19. Not much was available for out flight home that worked with a cruise transfer. We ended up taking the 6:55pm flight time with an arrival in Boston at 9:57. This isn’t great as we live in NH and will still have a drive after we land. But I am all about making lemonade so our current plan is to rent a car at the airport and head out to Disney springs. Maybe have lunch at splitsville and bowl. We went bowling on our first date so it feels full circle.
so I’d like to ask the readers, what do you think of the Disney springs plan? Any better options, or issues you see?
next up… shore excursion fun

excursion fun

as I previously mentioned, I really wanted to see Chichen Itza. I watched videos and researched here on the disboards. As our booking window came closer, the cruise members with a closer booking window in the cruise Facebook page posted what was available for excursions. No Chichen Itza. We settled on trying for the ruins chocolate and beach break as we really still wanted some ruins. I was ready on booking day and no luck getting the ruins. Already sold out. we ended up getting the all inclusive passion island by twister.
we picked dolphins and rays for grand cayman and the Martha brea raft for Jamaica.

I kept checking back periodically, especially because we really wanted to get Palo brunch and it was sold out for both of our sea days, and one day the ruins tour was available!!! We are so excited!

next up… what we bought and what needs to be bought

I am so excited for you, Krystal! Your first cruise - and I don't feel you could have picked any better cruise line for it. Our first cruise was 15 years ago with our 5-year old son (who is now 20!!!!). I was really concerned about it because I didn't know how we were going to occupy our time and enjoy the vacation. How wrong I was - it is now far and away the best type of vacation I could ever dream of. And perfect for an anniversary - we have celebrated nearly all of our "big" anniversaries on DCL, but now we don't even wait for an extra special vacation. It's just the best! I will be following your adventures eagerly - can't wait to hear all your thoughts. I am glad you got the ruins tour - sending good vibes about Palo lunch. Make sure to get on a waiting list as soon as you arrive!

we are getting so close!
When we booked the cruise I went right on etsy and got some magnets
I can't wait to see them on the door. I already have the stateroom number memerized 😄
I also got this model of the ship.
Just picked out the pirate gear
20220331_160407.jpg20220331_160448.jpgi20220331_161333.jpg

I can't figure out how to rotate the pictures 😕

Next up.... my reactions to the changes

I am so excited for you, Krystal! Your first cruise - and I don't feel you could have picked any better cruise line for it. Our first cruise was 15 years ago with our 5-year old son (who is now 20!!!!). I was really concerned about it because I didn't know how we were going to occupy our time and enjoy the vacation. How wrong I was - it is now far and away the best type of vacation I could ever dream of. And perfect for an anniversary - we have celebrated nearly all of our "big" anniversaries on DCL, but now we don't even wait for an extra special vacation. It's just the best! I will be following your adventures eagerly - can't wait to hear all your thoughts. I am glad you got the ruins tour - sending good vibes about Palo lunch. Make sure to get on a waiting list as soon as you arrive!

Thanks for the tip on Palo, that is my plan. Thank you! We are so excited, I'm such a planner, I'm even looking at personal navigators to get a feel of how a day is on the ship. I love how I can plan everything, then throw the plan away and let it flow, do nothing, do everything, and all of the above. I think we are going to be cruise fans for life ❤

last year before booking this cruise, and after booking this cruise, I watched YouTube videos and dreamed about the ship and parties and activities and everything. Then cruising came back and the changes made to be able to be back were kind of a let down, to the point I almost wanted to cancel. I eagerly watched new videos coming out and slowly came to terms with what “new” cruising would look like. I started getting excited all over again. Then grand cayman came back, then some sort of deck party for Star Wars, relaxation of masks in doors and for pictures. Non social distance character meets are coming, and who knows what else by the time we cruise. Each thing got me more excited but also changed the way I was planning. We weren’t going to dress up for pirate night but now, hoping for more pirate’y’ fun, we got shirts and accessories. We weren’t going to dress up for formal night but now will as we can get the pictures we want to. The rain forest room felt a bit much for just the two of us but now we might get the day pass. It’s all wonderfully overwhelming. I don’t think Chichen Itza will be offered but it’s hard to re-give up my hope that it might. So much is changing, so fast. It would be amazing to get the excursion that brought me to this cruise a year ago.

next up… three weeks To go! Packing, planning, and pixie dust

You leave in 10 DAYS!!!! You are just a smidge over a week ahead of us in your vacation countdown. I'm so excited for your adventure!

hello!
10 days to go
I. Can't. Handle. the excitement.
Our plan was to try and use one large luggage for both of us and a backpack each.. we are planning on doing laundry on board,, but as we are buying everything and figuring it all out, plus I know I'm buying a few things on board,, we are going to do two checked luggage. We actually don't have two suitcases, we never fly together before now,, I borrowed a suitcase from my sister in law. one suitcase is opened with random cruise items thrown in.
I bought the yarn for the trip crochet project. I am planning on doing a blanket called sacred space in the colors of the ship. So excited! Sacred space means to me happy place and I'm pretty sure the Disney fantasy will be that for me. 🥰
we are doing a planned gift exchange as fe's are not allowed yet. I hope they are by the time we sail. I need to set those up and write the notes to my new friends. I got really cute mickey shaped note cards.
I've also already met a cruise friend. We are doing the same excursion in Jamaica and have been chatting a lot on messenger.. I bought a little hummingbird puppet for her daughter. Her daughter loves nature and the national bird of Jamaica is a hummingbird.. I love spreading some pixi dust!
My Eric is excited too, and is saying fun things like he will be meeting all the characters and getting all the pictures. He definitely is making all my dreams come true. ❤
Next up.... planning

oh my goodness, I’m still buying stuff for the cruise, E needed new crocs and last night my black flip flops broke. I kept changing my mind on how to display pins on my door for pin trading. Hopefully I remembered it all, even with prime shipping, we are getting to the wire. We also got a couple Disney gift cards from target using our red card. Now to combine them, still need to head to the bank for cash, then money matters are done.
I still need to do a mini fashion show for myself, I always do this before packing as how i think something will fit or go together isn’t always the case.
this week is the final push to get things ready for the Timinski littles we are leaving back at home. Groceries laundry and packing are needed there also.
its all worth it though, can’t wait to be doing everything and nothing for a week with my love.
4 days 17 hours 20 minutes

The final days are always frantic, but will also help the time go quickly. I do the mini fashion show thing, too! This coming weekend I'll be a week away, so I'll do it then. My sister borrowed a bunch of my cruise things and I need to prod her to return them so I can plan and pack my outfits - lol! Lots of maxi dresses in my future. Planning for the kids to be at home adds a whole other dimension of stress with preparing, doesn't it? It is going to be such a relaxing and rejuvenating vacation for you - I will be eagerly waiting for at least the beginning of a trip report from you when we get back home mid-May...... Promise? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter