• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Celebrate Good Times Come On! An Oct 2013 PTR - Link to TR 10/29!!

Pluto0809

DIS Veteran
Welcome one and all to what will by my 11th trip to WDW! For those of you who are new and don’t know me yet, my name is Ariana and I just turned 40 in August. Here’s my favorite Photo Pass picture from my solo trip last March.

I wrote a TR for that trip. If you are interested in reading it, the link is in my signature along with one from November 2012 with my Mom.

Joining me on this trip will be my non-Disney loving husband, Jim. Here he is with his “baby” Sierra:

The last time he was at WDW was for our honeymoon 15 years ago. I am dragging him on this trip for two reasons, to celebrate my 40th birthday a few months late and also our 15th anniversary. I’m looking forward to getting some good pictures of the two of us with Photo Pass. The last picture I have of us together was taken in 2011 at the beach. We were there on a family trip and had formal pictures done. Unfortunately it rained during the photo shoot as you can probably tell by my hair.

We don’t have kids, just our “furry butts” as we tend to call them. Besides Sierra who is 3 years old:

We have Alex, 7 years old:

And Eddie, 12 years old:

Here they are all dressed up for Christmas:

So, let’s talk about favorites. Mine are mostly copied from my last TR so if you’ve read that you can probably skip.

1. Favorite Character: Pluto, Pluto and Pluto! I have loved Pluto since before I can actually remember. I have an entire room in my house dedicated to him.

2. Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom all the way. I could sit down on a park bench on Main Street and never move for the rest of my life. Well, I might have to go visit some rides and shows once in a while.

3. Favorite Ride: I am a ride lover at heart. I’d rather be on a ride at Disney than any other place. I’m not much into character greets or parades. Pirates of the Caribbean, Soarin’, Expedition Everest, and Toy Story Mania are probably my favorite at each park. But it tends to change.

4. Favorite Restaurant: A tie between Coral Reef and Rose & Crown Pub. Be Our Guest has now been added to the mix.

5. Favorite Disney Movie: This one is hard for me as I love pretty much all of the Disney Movies. If forced to pick one, I would say Lion King but I love all of the ones from that era, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Lion King.

Jim’s Favorites (these are going to be mostly guesses on my part):

1. Favorite Character: Donald Duck. He also likes Ariel, Kida (bonus points to anyone who can name that movie without looking it up) and Remy from Ratatouille.

2. Favorite Park: No idea. Since he is not much of a Disney fan, I’m not sure he really loves any of the parks.

3. Favorite Ride: If I asked him, he would probably say the Hall of Presidents. He is not a thrill ride junky like me so I’m not sure what I will get him on this trip. Definitely not TOT and I think he’s going to take one look at EE and run the other way.

4. Favorite Restaurant: He only had one restaurant from our Honeymoon that he remembers and wants to eat at again. That was 50’s Prime Time. So I guess that’s his favorite for purposes of this TR.

5. Favorite Disney Movie: Ratatouille. Not sure why he loves it so much but he watched it three times when I was home visiting my Mom in July.

Up Next: Flashback!

I recently scanned all of our Honeymoon pictures plus I found a lot of the receipts and other paperwork from the trip while cleaning out the garage. Since so many people have been posting retro photos lately, I thought it would be fun to attempt a mini TR from that trip. This will give everyone an idea of the WDW that Jim knows. This is going to be a lot of “I think we might of”, “I vaguely recall….”, “I’m guessing we probably did….”, etc. I barely remember what I did yesterday let alone 15 years ago! Also, the pictures are horrible with a capital H and I have less than 100 for the whole week. I had a small point and shoot film camera with no zoom.

So, let’s flashback to October 1998, a time before ADRs, FPs, and DME. Man do we look young in this picture:

We got married on Saturday, October 17, 1998. It was a beautiful day, 75 and sunny and the wedding was perfect. I don’t have any of my pictures from it scanned yet or I would share a few.

Saturday night we stayed downtown Pittsburgh at a hotel along one of the rivers. My uncle drove us downtown in his Cadillac. I remember that we barely had time to eat during the reception so we ended up ordering pizza at midnight. The next morning, our families joined us at the hotel for brunch. Then we went back to my parents’ house and opened our presents. One of the gifts was the brick my Aunt got us at Disney. You’ll see pictures of that later in this mini TR. Later that evening, my Mom and Dad took us to the airport for our flight to Disney! I think we flew out around 6 pm because I have a receipt from the Orlando Airport time stamped 8:46 pm. Mom and Dad were able to come all the way to the gate with us since this was pre 9/11. They stayed with us till we boarded our plane.

We landed in Orlando sometime after 8 pm. We got our bags and paid Airport Limo $50 for transportation to our resort. So where did we stay? Dixie Landings which is now Port Orleans Riverside. Check out this old postcard that I found with our paperwork:

I remember getting there, checking in and trekking to our room with all of our luggage because Jim was too cheap to tip bell services to bring the bags for us. We had to walk across several bridges to get to our room so I’m guessing we were somewhere in what is now Alligator Bayou, maybe building 34 or 35 because we were very close to a bus stop.

I only have one picture from our arrival night. Jim had to call home to let his Mom know we made it. I think that phone call cost about $10 and he was only on for five minutes.

That night we again ordered Pizza to be delivered to the room. The time stamp on the receipt was 11 pm so we had a second late night in a row.

On Monday, 10/19/98, we slept in a bit then headed to Epcot for the day.

Here’s a map of what Epcot looked like in 1998:

Sorry it’s so small, I couldn’t figure out how to scan it larger.

I know we rode Ellen’s Energy ride, Figment, saw Honey I Shrunk the Audience and spent some time in the Seas building. There was some kind of dolphin show that we watched in that building.

We also spent time in Wonders of Life. We saw Cranium Command and rode Body Wars. Jim hated Body Wars and got slightly sick riding it. The ride vehicle was just like Star Tours but included trip through the body. The “blood and gore” of the ride got to him pretty badly.

We missed the opening of Test Track by a few months. We watched the cars being tested with no one in them.

We also walked through Innovations because I remember stopping and checking our e-mail on a computer in there. We had no other way to check it, we didn’t even have cell phones.

Sometime during all of that, we made our way to The Land and had lunch at Garden Grille. This was one of the most memorable lunches we had on our trip. Our waitress was wonderful! Our meal was family style and very good. For dessert, neither one of us liked whatever the adult option was, some kind of apple dessert I think. Our waitress brought us the kids dessert which was “Dirt”.

We also got to see some characters while we ate.

The best part of the meal though was the banter with our waitress. As we were circling through the scenes of the Living with the Land ride, Jim saw the chickens in the farm house scene and was convinced they were real. So much so that he asked our waitress if they were. Without missing a beat she said “Of course they are. We just nail their feet to the ground so they don’t go anywhere”. Jim turned to me and “I told you so” almost came out of his mouth before he realized what she said. The waitress continued the fun banter with us all meal and we ended up leaving her a $15 tip. We had a meal plan but it was very different from the meal plans now. You just had a set amount of money that you could spend any way you wanted and that included tips. I think we had like $700 for the whole week and did not spend all of it.

I know that after lunch we rode Living With the Land to see the chickens a little closer. I have no recollection of Kitchen Cabaret so I don’t know if we saw it or not. I also have no recollection of riding Spaceship Earth but I’m thinking we must have. As for Horizons, I’m pretty sure it must have already been closed when we were there because I’ve watched the ride on you tube and do not remember it at all.

Sometime in the afternoon we started the trek around World Showcase. We stopped and saw the American Adventure for sure because Jim is a big history buff.

We also spent quite a bit of time in Germany. Jim majored in Foreign Languages and spoke fluent German. He can still read it some now but has let it slip a lot in the last 15 years. He promptly found the prettiest German CM and had a good long conversation with her! He also had me take his picture in that pavilion.

And that is the only picture I took during our entire adventure around World Showcase. We didn’t make it all the way around, we ended up missing China, Norway and Mexico so I didn’t know about the magnificence of Maelstrom till my trip in 2010.

We ate dinner in Italy that night at Alfredo’s which is now Tutto Italia. According to the receipt, we both had spaghetti and meatballs. I don’t remember much about the meal except that I did not like the salad.

We stayed for Illuminations and I took several of the crappiest pictures you will ever see of the show.

On Tuesday, October 20, 1998, we headed to MGM Studios! And yes I can say MGM cause that’s what it was in 1998.

Before we even made it in the gate, I ran into an old friend of mine! Check out that awesome Fanny Pack I was sporting.

Jim ran into someone he wanted to say hi to also:

In 1998 there was no RnRC and no TSM so what to do? Well I know we went and saw Indiana Jones:

We rode Star Tours, which did not make me sick at that time. Funny it didn’t bother Jim at all either even though Body Wars did.

We also visited the Muppets sometime that day. Jim wanted his picture with Miss Piggy.

We had lunch at Sci Fi. The receipt says we ordered Cheese Sticks (all Jim). Our entrees were “Revenge” and “Monster Inferno”. I have absolutely no idea what either of those items were or which one of us ate them!

I’m just about out of picture space so I will continue in the next update with the rest of our MGM day.

Up Next: Flashback! Part 2

I'm here too....so looking forward to the new PTR :thumbsup2 love what you have so far in the mini-tr What memories for me too seeing all the 1998 WDW pictures ( but THAT is another story for another time/thread) Important I missed your Birthday ???? I am soo sorry !! I had it in my head it's Sept like me !

Happy Birthday Ariana !!!!

Jumped over from another PTR. I too am enjoying your flashback! Eagerly awaiting the next installment. :)

OOoooooo, will I make first page???? Saving my spot. Gotta go back and read now... popcorn::

Yay, I DID make first page!!!

I am absolutely LOVING the Disneymoon mini-TR!!! Great idea, Ariana!!! Jim has the biggest smiles in these pictures...how can he NOT be a Disney fan? :confused3 Oh wait...honeymoon... the smiles were not necessarily about Disney. :rolleyes1

I'm here...will read when we get home.

Boy Kathy you are diligent posting while on vacation! Glad you are here. :thumbsup2

I'm here too....so looking forward to the new PTR :thumbsup2 love what you have so far in the mini-tr What memories for me too seeing all the 1998 WDW pictures ( but THAT is another story for another time/thread) Important I missed your Birthday ???? I am soo sorry !! I had it in my head it's Sept like me !

Happy Birthday Ariana !!!!

No worries about missing my birthday Ruthie! I didn't advertise it much on here. Thanks for the wishes, I love the Pluto! But if you want to remember for the future it just look at my user name. :thumbsup2

I'm here!

Enjoying your flashback TR so far! :)

:welcome: Glad you are enjoying it so far Stephanie!

Jumped over from another PTR. I too am enjoying your flashback! Eagerly awaiting the next installment. :)

:welcome: Glad you joined in!

I am joining in too

:welcome: Thanks for reading along!

OOoooooo, will I make first page???? Saving my spot. Gotta go back and read now... popcorn::

Yay, I DID make first page!!!

I am absolutely LOVING the Disneymoon mini-TR!!! Great idea, Ariana!!! Jim has the biggest smiles in these pictures...how can he NOT be a Disney fan? :confused3 Oh wait...honeymoon... the smiles were not necessarily about Disney. :rolleyes1

Yeah Connie, it was probably the honeymoon. :rotfl2: He does tend to whine and complain a lot leading up to a trip but then ends up enjoying himself!

not to hi-jack your thread but I would expect the same from you ;)
just in case you haven't seen it and I didn't want it getting lost in a PM or email !

http://www.disneystore.com/pins-col...lace-pin-online-exclusive/mp/1337696/1000211/

Ruthie, you are allowed to hi-jack any time you want! Do you know how bad of an influence you are on me? :rotfl: Guess what's headed to my house?

Love your fur babies, they are very cute. Joining in.

:welcome: Thanks, I think they are cute too! :lmao:

I'm here! Nice to "meet" you since I have seen you all over everywhere else :rotfl:

I am very excited that you are doing a ptr for Oct since we are going in Oct next year. I have been reading about so many people going (gone) in August, I will definitely be stalking you (ahem, following along.........:rolleyes1)

No worries about missing my birthday Ruthie! I didn't advertise it much on here. Thanks for the wishes, I love the Pluto! But if you want to remember for the future it just look at my user name. :thumbsup2

Ruthie, you are allowed to hi-jack any time you want! Do you know how bad of an influence you are on me? :rotfl: Guess what's headed to my house?

well duh 8/9 how did I miss that :rotfl: I am happy to be a bad influence when it comes to " Our Boy" ;) but guess what is NOT on the way to MY house :headache: I have been trying to sign into the website all day & it won't let me...there are only 2,000 of these I BETTER not miss out...glad you got it cross your fingers for me

Sorry I am late!!! I am loving your new pTR so far - and I am in LOVE with all the flashback photos!!! You do look young - but I think you still look young. <3

Can't wait to read about the rest of your plans for this trip!

D~

I'm here! Nice to "meet" you since I have seen you all over everywhere else :rotfl:

I am very excited that you are doing a ptr for Oct since we are going in Oct next year. I have been reading about so many people going (gone) in August, I will definitely be stalking you (ahem, following along.........:rolleyes1)

Hi Raina! I have seen you around on other PTRs & TRs. I've got your PTR on my list of ones to start but haven't had a time. I think I have about 50 of them bookmarked right now! I can't resist anything to do with Disney.

well duh 8/9 how did I miss that :rotfl: I am happy to be a bad influence when it comes to " Our Boy" ;) but guess what is NOT on the way to MY house :headache: I have been trying to sign into the website all day & it won't let me...there are only 2,000 of these I BETTER not miss out...glad you got it cross your fingers for me

Oh no! I hope you were able to order the pin! Haven't gotten mine yet.

Sorry I am late!!! I am loving your new pTR so far - and I am in LOVE with all the flashback photos!!! You do look young - but I think you still look young. <3

Can't wait to read about the rest of your plans for this trip!

D~

Hi D~! You're not late, I just started it on Friday!

Joining in! I am loving the flashback TR :woohoo:

Thanks for reading along! :wizard:

Continuing with our MGM day, we also saw the Hunchback of Notre Dame show which is no longer there. I believe the theater still exists but its just used for special events now.

The show was memorable but not in a good way because of this guy:

Every time that he sang, he did some pretty serious projectile spitting. Luckily, Jim and I were far enough back but some of the people in the front rows were getting a bit of a bath. It was so gross!

We also saw the Beauty and the Beast show. Does anyone remember these guys?

They came on stage before the show pretending to be janitors or crew members and then started singing. I remember that they were really good.

More pictures from B&TB:

Thats all the pictures I have from MGM before Fantasmic but I know for sure we rode TOT. Jim did not want to but I believe I called his manhood into question and managed to goad him onto the ride. He HATED it! He was so mad at me afterwards and he refused to go on any rides after that that he could not see. Funny thing is, hes claiming that hes going to ride it again in October. Ill believe that when I see it!

Im pretty sure we also rode The Great Movie Ride and maybe The Back Lot Tour but I have no pictures from those. I think I also have memories from the Animation building but I could be mixing up trips.

We headed in and got seats for Fantasmic well before the start of the show. Another guest was kind enough to take our picture while we waited.

So here are the pictures from the show (and you thought the Illuminations ones were bad!).

We left the park after Fantasmic and picked up dinner at the resort food court. It was called the Cotton Mill Food Court at that time. We also stopped at Fultons General Store and spent $13 on Robitussin & Nyquil for me. Unfortunately all of the hugs at the wedding caught up to me and I was starting to get sick.

We took our food back to the room and ate it there so we (well really Jim) could watch TV for a while. We both had an Adult Chicken Tender dinner. There was a chef salad, fruit and chocolate cake on the receipt too. Im thinking the first two were Jims and the cake was mine.

Im not sure if these next two pictures were taken that night or the next morning but since I still have picture room, Ill stick them here.

Jim perfecting the art of the selfie before it was cool.

Up Next: Flashback Part 3

Hmm...I went in 1997 and I don't remember the Hunchback show. Then again, the only thing I remember from then-MGM that trip is that my youngest sister got stuck/lost in the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground and I had to go find her. :rotfl:

The "selfie" picture with Jim brushing his teeth is pretty funny!

Yes LOVE that " selfie picture" ah our younger days, you know since we really didn't have the kind of technology as we do then I think we were more " in the moment" resulting in less pictures

I have very very few pictures of things and even us on vacation, maybe its not such a bad thing, we don't have to document everything in a kodak moment ( that right there shows my age ;) )

and NO I didn't get that pin ordered I tried home computer and 2 at work get as far as checkout and N O T H I N G !!! Not happy at all

EDITED Yeah pluto: is on his way to my house too I learned something today, those emails from TDS in all the very very small print at the bottom is a PHONE # so a very nice CM took my order ( I almost fell off the chair laughing when she asked if I was ready for my "magical" total :lmao: had her laughing too ...did you ever ??? Magical Total ??? )

OK enough about me, looking forward to more of your report Hi to the doggies hope Eddie is well :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter