Ceiling Fans/Motion detector AC???

pollyanna

ZZZZGal
Do all/any of the WDW resorts have ceiling fans?

I am also concerned about this so called "Motion detection AC" reported in one of the threads here....if you are sleeping the AC cuts off=all night long?????????

The GF was the first hotel I stayed in that had them (not in the Contemporary, Poly, AKL, or WL). We had major problems with them in the main building concierge 4th floor rooms. (We stayed one night last month in a standard room and I'm not sure if it had it or not, we were not too hot there).

A ceiling fan would not help. We had one, it was on, but the motion of the fan did not reach the motion sensor in the A/C control. We tried many things, such as hanging stuff from the fan, etc. but nothing short of getting up and waving our arms around in front of it worked. The room would get up to almost 80 degrees at night.

They had them at AKL in our room late May. I like the room to be cool when I come back from the parks. Well, when we came back from the parks the room was hot. I called the front desk because I thought our AC wasn't working and she said they had motion detectors and that it would cool off soon. I set the temp really low when we went to bed and it stayed cool at night.

Years ago, when we stayed at the PO Resort, they also had these motion sensors. My DH called maintenance, and they did something that by passed the sensor system so that our AC was on all the time.

This was one of the reasons we switched to WL, and the YC. But now that I hear it is also at the GF, in concierge no less, where you pay top dollar, I hope the other resorts are not planning on doing this also.

I know it is a cost saving measure not to have the AC running when no one is in the room, but for it to get so uncomfortably warm when returning to your room or during the night, is unacceptable!:(

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Originally posted by gepetto
They had them at AKL in our room late May. I like the room to be cool when I come back from the parks. Well, when we came back from the parks the room was hot. I called the front desk because I thought our AC wasn't working and she said they had motion detectors and that it would cool off soon. I set the temp really low when we went to bed and it stayed cool at night.

Wow!. My husband and I were just discussing the motion A/C that was mentioned in the GF threads and we thought that we had never stayed a Disney resort thad had them. We spent a total of 15 days at the AKL during 2001 over two trips and never noticed the A/C being motion controlled:confused: Maybe our rooms we already set to a low enought temp for us to not notice. Oh well we are off to the Dolphin in less then 24hrs. We are going to check out the A/C situation there are report back.;)

Originally posted by Tiffany

We spent a total of 15 days at the AKL during 2001 over two trips and never noticed the A/C being motion controlled:confused:

We were there for 9 nights in May 2001 and there were no sensors in our room. They had them May 2002. :(

Originally posted by gepetto

We were there for 9 nights in May 2001 and there were no sensors in our room. They had them May 2002. :(

Thanks for the clarifiation gepetto. I don't know if I like this, what would you call it, enhancement?:(

Well, we are closing in our first Dolphin stay I will definetly checkout the A/C situation.

We stayed at AKL in Nov. & June and the air conditioner ran even when the room was empty, we always came back to a cool comfortable room. Many years ago we were told the the A/C at POFQ would not run if the door to the room was opened, but I have never heard of motion sensored A/C 's.

We had the motion detector A/C at the CR in Feb of 2001. What we did was to suspend a hanger from one of the bladesof the ceiling fan with a towel on it. With the fan at low speed, it kept the sensor from shutting the A/C off, and the fan was spinning slow enough that the hanger didn't fall off. We only did this at night, and it was just me and DH, no kids.

We had them at the CR last year and we had no problem at all, the AC worked through the night along with the ceiling fan , the only time the AC would shut off was when we opened the sliding door to the balcony. We never had to trick anything and as a matter of fact sometimes it got too cold at nights.

What we did was to suspend a hanger from one of the bladesof the ceiling fan with a towel on it. With the fan at low speed, it kept the sensor from shutting the A/C off, and the fan was spinning slow enough that the hanger didn't fall off.

LOL! Now this is just about the cleverest (is that word?) thing I've heard in a long time. I'm going to remember this!

Well, when it is 3AM and you are hot and cranky, any solution will do! I like hotel rooms just one step above freezing, and waking up in a ball of sweat is not my idea of fun. Of course we took it down in the morning, don't want housekeeping to find out LOL.

Phillybeth

Forgive me but I think its unexcusable that customers have to find "ways" of having the AC work properly in a Deluxe resort that has rack rates in the 400$ range! Is it just me or is the budget cutting getting out of hand?

I agree DisOrBust
It did seem like the "set point' might be different before the A/C shuts off. Of the 4 rooms we had at the GF RPC, my sister's was by far the worst, mine and my parents too warm but not as bad as hers, but my brothers was fine. All were motioned sensored, they would come on when you moved around in front of them, but they did seem to shut off at different times. That may be why some people had to come up with ways to trick them and others werent bothered at all

I've never noticed this before and my friend with whom I travel with loves it about -20 degrees! Does anyone know if these "Enhancements" have gotten to the Value Resorts or Downtown Disney Resorts?
Minnesota

When I stayed at the GF last year in a dormer garden view room, the bellman told us that the airconditioner was controlled by the door. He said that when we would leave the room it would automatically go to 70-75 degrees and we could lower the temp when we came back in. The room was usually 71 degrees when we returned. We would lower it to about 65 to get really cool and it stayed that way all night. Maybe it was a motion detector and he just explained it wrong, but we didn't have a problem at night. I would have been pretty upset if I woke up in a sweat.

I don't remember having that problem at ASMu or BWV in 1998. The only problem we had at ASMu was the housekeeping staff raising the temperature on the thermostat when they cleaned the room back up to 75. We lowered it as soon as we got back in the room and the room cooled off in a hurry. At the BWV the A/C was so good the windows were practically frosted over in the mornings!
Really the room was not uncomfortable temperature-wise (~75 degrees F), but it FELT stuffy with no air circulation- I don't know about the rest of you but ceiling fans do nothing for me.

Phillybeth

Philly,
We thought the maid was raising our temperature, too, before they explained the motion sensors to us. I just figured because it said 77 when we came back into the room each time that the maid was turning the A/C down. I asked housekeeping to please stop doing that and that's when they explained the motion sensor to me.

The more I think about it, I just stayed in a GF dormer room 1 month ago, CR Tower in May, and AKL in April. I never had any problems there, so if there was a motion detector, it may have been just set differently (again, because my brother had no problem in his GF RPC room). The other thing I wondered about is if it has to do with the afternoon sun and what side of the building you're on. Maybe all our rooms at GF RPC just faced the afternoon sun which made it warm up a lot quicker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter