Castaway Cay For 14 year-old

rawknreview

Earning My Ears
This is the first time we are going on a Disney Cruise with a 14-year old, and I had a question regarding their hideaway. I assume they could freely enter and exit the area as they wish, but do they serve food in that area, or would they need to visit Cookie's Too (since that's the closest) to eat lunch? My wife and I are looking to have some time at Serenity Bay, so we want to make sure we are prepared with giving him more freedom than what we may be used to since the last cruise we were on, he was at Scuttle's Cove. Also, would you still recommend the use of either the Wave phones or chat through the DCL app to communicate with your teen while on CC?

There are no more wave phones. Yes, he can go in and out as he wants. I am not sure about the food but should be easy enough to go to Cookies when he’s hungry. Lots of other things for a teen to do as well.

My teen grands have been cruising for awhile (they’ll be platinum next cruise in September) by castaway day, hopefully they’ve made a friend or 10. I usually see them at cookies 2 eating at a picnic table with about 20 kids. They are on their own and don’t really hang at the hideout too much. not All cruises are the same, but the last one the girls really bonded into a nice group of kids. You never know if your kids will make a connection. There are times when our older grand will give the vibe a try, but comes out saying “nope” and hangs with the old folks or does things on her own. Btw, both girls use their iPhone to catch up with us.

FYI: Anyone under the age of 18 can’t get off the ship without their parents unless you sign a form allowing them to do so.
You can do this when you do your online check in or by going to Guest Services once you board.
You can give him permission to get off on his own at all your port stops or just Castaway.
Remind him that he needs his keycard to get off the ship.
I suggested the day before Castaway to go by Guest Services and confirm he is registered to get off the ship. There are better a few reports where the child wasn’t allowed off the ship when the parents had completed the paperwork.

Cookies 2 is really close to the Hideaway so it's easy to pop over for lunch. When we were there last month, it was deserted and our teen was uninterested in those activities there and all her friends from the ship were doing other activities with their families. She didn't want to be alone so we all stayed together. No Serenity Bay for us. :( We'll see what she wants to do next week (Covid permitting).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter