castaway cay 5K

juki

Earning My Ears
ive been trying to find rules and info on disney website about the run but dont have any luck. can anyone help? trying to see if kids are allowed to come and how much time they will give to finish since we would walk a good amount.

How often are 5k's offered? Every cruise that stops in Castaway Cay? :tiptoe:

ive been trying to find rules and info on disney website about the run but dont have any luck. can anyone help? trying to see if kids are allowed to come and how much time they will give to finish since we would walk a good amount.

No rules. You just show up. My 8 yo walked it with me. We were one of the last to finish & the CM had left. This was in 2011. We rec'd a bib from Guest Services & a participation certificate. They give out medals now. It was very informal. All three of my kids are going to do it this time (11, 9 & 7).

Cheers!

On our last cruise, I didn't know anything about the 5K....I'm hoping to participate on our upcoming cruise but probably won't be able to run the whole thing.

Our stop last spring, they didn't want anyone under 12 to run. The director just kept going on about how hot it is and that people are not used to it. My daughter is used to doing 5ks in Florida so I just told her to say she was 12 and even though she obviously isnt, they let her. We were all wearing Tampa Gaspirilla 5k shirts from the week before and that one was hot enough they ran out of water on the course.

I did it this month from the Dream.

There was one under-12, and the CM did not give the child a bib (though I think she told the the parent she would would get the child one later, on the down-low, but not FOR the 5K). And...I passed them later, and neither of them looked happy. The child was walking and dawdling, the parent was highly annoyed and threatening to just go back, etc. It made me very glad I had not taking my highly active 8 year old. Well, it was moot because he refused to wake up, LOL, but if he had woken I'm glad I left him with his dad in the stateroom. (they were able to be first to meet Jack Sparrow that way!)

The Navigator you get before the Castaway day will tell you when and where to meet. Meet there on that day. Have your keycard and your photo ID (though for my 5K they were being really relaxed with those photo ID rules, since it seems almost everyone forgot their ID), and know there are no bathroom breaks. They walked us off the ship and to the starting line.

I did it for the experience and the bib number, and was incredibly happy to get a medal at the end. And it allowed me to relax allllll day, knowing I had gotten that exercise in early that morning. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts