Cass, Rob & Kira - Christmas on the Wonder 2021 - The ups & downs of travelling during covid!

Timon

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Welcome to my Christmas 2021 Trip report 🎅

How are you guys? Been awhile! Anything new since we last spoke?? :rolleyes2 :rolleyes1

Oh, yeah...that. 🧫 🧻 🧼 😷 💉 💉 💉

Well, it doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon so when the chance to get back to the Wonder for Christmas came along, we jumped on it. Well, it was more of a very slow crawl with a lot of debate but we did it, we're back, covid-free and still one bag down. :rolleyes:🧳

*Edit: Rob went to YYC tonight and picked up our bag! 🤗 Reunited after 19 days!*

I will try to post updates often but sometimes life...uhhhh, gets in the way.
putersmile1.gif
🦖

I hope you enjoy this long, drawn-out tale, with tons of photos. :surfweb:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out my other trip reports

:cool: 2011 DCL Second sailing of the Dream
:cool: 2013 October WDW & DCL Fantasy
:cool: 2015 Disneyland
smiley.jpg
2016 Christmas on the Wonder
:cool: 2017 Universal & DCL 10-Night Southern Caribbean Fantasy
smiley.jpg
2017 Christmas on the Wonder
:cool: 2018 Summer WDW & Universal
smiley.jpg
2018 Christmas on the Wonder
:cool:2019 Disneyland
:cool:2019 Universal Orlando
2019 Christmas on the Wonder
:cool: 2020 Galaxy's Edge
smiley.jpg
2021 Christmas on the Wonder
:cool: 2022 UO & DCL Fantasy
🇨🇦 2022 Alaska Wonder Cruise

Last edited:
Chapter Links :santa:

December 19th
Part 1 - In WestJet, we trust

December 20th

Part 1 - Shopping in 1987
Part 2
- Lights, action, swearing!

December 21st

Part 1 - To cruise or not to cruise...
Part 2 - How to earn your teenager's respect
Part 3 - Good food and a glorious night

December 22nd
Part 1 - Brunch Faux pas
Part 2
- Evening Vibes

December 23rd

Part 1 - A whole lotta Magic
Part 2 - Wonderful, Magical, lunch
Part 3
- Fare thee well, pirates!

December 24th

Part 1 - Progreso, Mexico...pier.
Part 2 - Shop, eat, win
Part 3
- Dancing, beignets and more

December 25th

Part 1 - A Very Merry Christmas
Part 2 - Evening merriment

December 26th

Part 1 - Enjoying our last day
Part 2
- Our final night onboard

December 27th

Part 1 - Leaving the ship for a haunted hotel
Part 2 - Miller's & Ghosts
Part 3 - Believe it....or not?
Part 4 - More creepiness and pool time

December 28th

Part 1 - Humble as always

December 29th & 30th
Part 1 - The end is near

Vacation Videos

Last edited:
December 19th, 2021
Part 1

Let's start us off right, with the night before as Kira finally put that last number up on our Disney countdown calendar...this time with a Boo cameo. :dog2:

1.jpg

If you've read my previous Christmas cruise reports then you'll know that we like to spend a couple of days in Webster, Texas before heading to Galveston for the cruise. This works for so many reasons. We like to shop at stores that we don't have here in Canada, we like to eat at Cheddar's, Snooze & Cheesecake Factory, all places we also don't have here in Canada and most importantly, it gives us time to deal with the unexpected. Travelling across the U.S. border, especially these days, can be tense, and flights lately are often delayed or cancelled. Having that extra 2-3 days of cushioning is important and recommended. ::yes::

Our flight was 10:45am the next day but we made sure to get to the airport super early to beat the crowds. Not as many people are flying these days but at YYC, we were expecting about 35,000 travellers every day up until Christmas, so we were on the road by 6:15am.

2.jpg

While there wasn't a lot of snow yet this season, it was very cold, which was rather evident in our traditional airport pics. :cold:

3.jpg

4.jpg

It actually got a LOT colder while we were gone, -34C almost every day! We left at the perfect time. :beach:

Kira and I checked us in while Rob dropped off the car, then we met up and headed for security, then customs. 🇺🇲

5.jpg

Because we were so early, there were no lines for security and our Nexus cards got us through immediately.

We are officially in the United States now. :woohoo:

6.jpg

You will see a lot of peace symbols and thumbs up in this report. ✌👍:rotfl2:

Slowly but surely, there's more flights out of Calgary, this board is a lot more full than when I flew at the end of October.

7.jpg

And just in time, our beloved Wolfgang Puck's The Kitchen reopened the previous week! :cool1:

It had been closed since March 2020. We found out that the owners sold it last year and it was quickly scooped up by the owner's of the Belgian Beer Cafe, which is the other sit-down restaurant in this terminal but they weren't busy enough to re-open until a week before, so our timing was good. :thumbsup2

8.jpg

Hungry and sooooo ready for this vacation. 😋

9.jpg

The menu was limited but we found plenty to eat.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

It was delicious!

We had a bit of a wait before we could board so Rob and Kira watched some Daredevil while I got my steps in and explored.

13.jpg

This is when I discovered that we would be flying on Westjet's Frozen Plane.
14.jpg

We were lucky enough to fly on it before, one day we're hoping to fly on the Magic Plane too. 🤞

We had a bit of a delay as we were waiting on one last crew member but only about 30 minutes or so. We were thankful we weren't going to Orlando because that flight was delayed over two hours already because of sick crew. 😬

During Westjet's check-in, we had to upload our vaccination records and fill out an attestation form that we have tested negative for covid, no later than one day before the flight and that we need to show proof, if requested. I had flown to MCO in late October and they never checked my covid test and it didn't seem like they were checking here so I put them away in my carry-on. Things were going well, everyone was sailing through the boarding process and then the couple in front of us was asked for their test results. I had a tiny moment of panic and asked if everyone needed to show it. She just looked at me and said "Maybe" so I guess they were randomly checking them but they didn't ask for ours.

Selfie with the Frozen Plane now that we're closer and no one was around. You will see a lot of beard mask photos like this one. 😜

15.jpg

When we boarded, we noticed that all of the cute Frozen details inside of the plane were no longer there. Apparently, the Frozen and Magic Plane were recently refurbished and all of the inside Disney touches were taken out. :sad1:

16.jpg

Mandatory airplane family selfie coming up. :p

18.jpg

So long Calgary, and your stupid, unbearable cold spell. :wave2:

19.jpg

And hello gorgeous weather!

21.jpg

It was a little foggy, you could barely see downtown Houston.

20.jpg

It took awhile to get off the plane, it was pretty packed, so we sat patiently...

17.jpg

Cool new mural in the terminal...

22.jpg

And I'm glad we stopped here because the "welcome to Houston" sign that hangs above the escalator was no longer there!

So, down we went to find our luggage carousel....one Mickey bag, two Mickey bags.......................................

Umm, where's the third? :confused3

We waited until the carousel shut off and then realized we were not getting that third bag. 😟

There were three or four other families who were also waiting on one last bag. There were two Westjet agents there and like the others, we filled out the dreaded, long, lost baggage form. 😣

They suggested we call Westjet when we can and just follow up with them as well.

The good news was that the bag they lost was our "cruise bag" so there was mostly stuff in there that was only for the cruise, along with some of Kira's clothes but we were heading to the mall the next day to two stores she loves so we knew we could buy her some clothes there and there was nothing in the bag that would make or break our trip. More on that later. ;)

About two hours after we were originally supposed to be leaving IAH, we headed for the car rental shuttle, one bag down.

23.jpg

24.jpg

When we got to Alamo, we headed for the Full Size row to pick out a car for the trip. There was only one car there in the entire row so we flagged down an employee to ask if there were more that we were just missing. A very friendly and helpful Taylor explained to us that Alamo and National were basically the same company and that we could also choose from their inventory so we headed over to pick one out while Kira waited with our bags.

25.jpg

Rob picked out a Toyota Camry and off we went!

26.jpg

Downtown Houston is very beautiful at night, especially at Christmastime.

27.jpg

We stayed at Springhill Suites Webster, same as last time as we loved the mini-suite and the location.

As I was walking in to check-in, a lady looked at me and said "Cass????"

I was a little caught off guard, didn't think anyone would know or recognize me, especially with the mask on :rotfl2:

"Yesss???" I respond, begrudgingly :lmao:

It turned out to be a lovely lady and her kiddo from the FB Cruise page that had read my previous trip reports and recognized me right away. I was like, wow, good eyes! Not only do I have a mask on but I also chopped off all my hair a few months ago so dang, woman, you're good! :worship:

We chatted a bit while we waited to check in, apparently she had chosen this hotel because of my 2019 trippie :p

Our room was on the first level, so no cool spaceman elevators for us but it was super convenient, first room off the side of the building. :thumbsup2

I posted more pics in my 2019 Xmas trip report so feel free to check that out if you want to see more, it's the exact same room.

28.jpg

29.jpg

While we unpacked and got organized, I called Westjet on speakerphone. I was on hold just over an hour and a bit before we ended up leaving for dinner. We were starving, the last meal we ate was at 7:30am Calgary time and now it was 7pm Houston time!

Cheesecake Factory, here we come!

30.jpg

Kira was totally crushing on our waiter so that made a very good meal even more fun, especially since he was a really good server! It was delicious!

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

Sadly no room for dessert. We were all VERY tired now, it had been a long day, extra stress with the whole bag situation too. We were originally going to stop at Target for some supplies but we all nixed that idea at dinner once we all crashed from eating. We just wanted to go to sleep! :faint:

I tried calling Westjet again but they had closed. 😠 So I went online and started a baggage loss claim on there as well. It's a good thing I did because on that form I filled out at the airport, there was no number so when I spoke to them, I had no reference number. At least with the online form, you get a claim number and you can also fill out your address, hotel address, etc.

We had basically two more days really to get that bag, so I was still hopeful that we would get it in time for the cruise when I went to bed that night. 😴

Then a meme that I had recently seen popped into my head...

"Hope. The first step towards disappointment."

:rolleyes2

Last edited:
Yay, the long awaited trip report! I can't believe you are STILL waiting to hear about your lost bag after all these weeks :headache:

After a long absence, I'm sure it was nice to be in familiar, comfortable surroundings :love:

Whooo hooooo!!! Time for another Cass Trippie and time for me to have to dig out my password for the DIS. :rolleyes1
Hoping that Cruise Bag shows up soon for you.
Looking forward to reading all about your adventures.

I've never had a bag *that* lost. But when I travel, I am about 50/50 for checked bags getting delayed in some way. I do my best to go carryon only on the way to my destination. If I check something, it's either my return trip or something totally extraneous. Good luck I hope you see it eventually and I also hope you got some sort of compensation (no spoilers needed).

Cant wait to read about the rest of your adventures! Thank you for posting. :)

As I was walking in to check-in, a lady looked at me and said "Cass????"

I was a little caught off guard, didn't think anyone would know or recognize me, especially with the mask on :rotfl2:

"Yesss???" I respond, begrudgingly :lmao:

It turned out to be a lovely lady and her kiddo from the FB Cruise page that had read my previous trip reports and recognized me right away. I was like, wow, good eyes! Not only do I have a mask on but I also chopped off all my hair a few months ago so dang, woman, you're good! :worship:

We chatted a bit while we waited to check in, apparently she had chosen this hotel because of my 2019 trippie :p

Hi Cass! I'm the stalker from your trip reports and the hotel! It was great getting to meet you and your family, and you were my first DIS meet. Sorry to hear about the long lost bag. Hope it shows up soon.

Jenn

So nice to see someone from cold 🥶 Calgary enjoying DCL again! It has been so dang cold the whole Christmas break!

December 20th, 2021

Part 1

We had a bit of a rough night sleeping, apparently the street running just outside of our room is used for drag racing in the middle of the night. :car:

If we stay here again, we will make sure to ask for a room on the other side next time as we had no issues with noise the last trip.

After showering and getting ready for the day, it was time for one of our faves, Snooze! Taking the back road, we arrived in 5 minutes.

Yes! Back in Texas and the Texan trees :love: I need to move south, not for the weather but for the gorgeous treeeeees! 😍

35.jpg

36.jpg

As always, there was a big line so we gave our name and phone number and then waited outside. It was about 30 minutes before we were called in which seems pretty normal here. You know it's good when there's a line on a Tuesday morning. ::yes::

For the first time, we were seated in a booth, yay! :banana:

The restaurant is really loud. Not just the diners but the music and staff are loud too. It all contributes to the experience, it's nice to see staff dancing and singing and having a good time, especially after everything we've all been through but I'm not going to lie, it's tough for Rob and I to be in rooms this loud now.

Back in February, I had a serious and scary health issue. Docs called it Vestibular Labyrinthitis and most people recover from it after a few weeks but I never did. I lost most of my hearing in my left ear and I had horrible vertigo & dizziness for five months. The hearing loss is permanent sadly but docs are hopeful that one day my dizziness may go away. It's all about retraining my brain I guess but it might take a few years. Honestly, for most of the year, I thought I may never be able to do another ride, or cruise or even fly again. I could barely even walk, I was stuck on my couch/bed for months! It was August before I could walk properly, drive and shop like a normal human being again.

In late October, I had a smaller trip to Orlando with my buddy Jen. I spent months debating on whether or not I should even go. I'm so glad I did because I learned that I was okay to do rides (in moderation) and I could even cruise! We went on a shorter cruise with Virgin Voyages and I was fine. I still have some residual dizziness, I sometimes walk into walls (and travel companions LOL!) but otherwise can function quite well, all things considered.

The hearing loss was a struggle, especially at first and I say "what?" a lot but as with everything, you get used to it. I have a hearing aid but honestly, I don't love it so I don't wear it often. When I have it in, I can hear a little better but I also hear background noise and music better and everything sounds very tinny, like it's coming out of a microphone and it mostly just aggravates my tinnitus so I don't wear it a lot. The first place I wore it to publicly was a movie theatre. The guy behind me started eating his popcorn (I loathe listening to people eat!) and I was like, NOPE!!! I'd rather hear regularly from just my right ear than listen to him eat popcorn on a microphone, thanks! :mic:🍿:rotfl2:

When I was going through all of this hearing stuff, Rob decided to get his hearing checked as well since his hearing has gotten a lot worse these past few years. He was a DJ for over 30 years so he has moderate hearing loss in both ears and he ended up getting hearing aids as well. Unlike me, he actually wears them. :rolleyes: His has a restaurant setting which is supposed to help with the background noise but I don't think it actually does LOL!

So us old folks have a hard time in loud restaurants but this place was worth it! :p

37.jpg

We had a great server and the food was absolutely delicious!!!

37a.jpg
37b.jpg

37c.jpg

37d.jpg

Next stop was the Mall, where Kira found some stuff she loved from Hot Topic and Box Lunch, her two favourite stores.

39.jpg

40.jpg

We went back to the hotel because Rob had some stuff to do, including calling WestJet to check on our bag. Here's Kira with her shopping haul. 😝

41.jpg

Rob was on hold for over two hours, so Kira and I went to Target and Kohl's. The above photo shows her entire haul, from all four stores. Watching her shop was hilarious to me! She's not a shopper, neither am I and she's always been very happy with the stuff I pick out for her but her "style" is evolving and the things I would pick out for her, she doesn't like anymore. I asked her what she liked and she just says "I don't know?" so as we were shopping, I told her just look around and see what catches your eye. This way, it gives me a general idea of what she likes. Well, almost everything she was drawn to was in fashion when I was 15! :lmao:

Acid wash jeans, baggy mom jeans, big, long shirts. If it was big, baggy and high-waisted, she loved it :earboy2:

She was laughing at me because I found it so funny that I was shopping with my daughter for almost the exact same stuff I bought when I was at her age. We were in a change room with another mom and daughter, roughly the same ages as us, doing the same thing and the mom was laughing too because her daughter was the same. "Might as well just shop in my closet" she said. :rotfl2:

She also found massive Reese Peanut Butter Cups that I bought for her as a Christmas present. We didn't do gifts at all this year, the cruise IS our Christmas gift but she nearly fainted when she saw these so I just had to. There's only TWO peanut butter cups in there! :rotfl2:

38.jpg

Well, Kira was thrilled with her purchases (her love for Winnie the Pooh and Anime reflected in her purchases) and so we headed back to the hotel.

Rob had finally gotten through and spoke to a lovely WJ agent who told him that our bag never made it out of Calgary but since there was another direct flight from YYC to IAH that day, it would be put on that flight and delivered to our hotel tonight. Yay! She assured Rob that she would make sure it arrived and was delivered to our hotel before she left for her shift! :cool1:

With that problem solved and a little bit of stress relieved for us, we headed to Cheddar's!

42.jpg

Rob was stoked to have his honey butter croissants again!

43.jpg

Kira and I split the chicken tenders and Rob had the salmon.

44.jpg

45.jpg

It wasn't as good as it usually is. Rob said his was good but our fries tasted old. They were hot and fresh but it tasted like the potatoes they used were old and bad. We didn't eat them. Chicken tenders were good though.

We had all decided that we wanted to go back to Galaxy Lights at Space Center Houston again this year so off we went.

46.jpg

47.jpg

There were definitely some differences from its inaugural year in 2019. The first difference was inside the main area with that very cool light show. Last time there was stuff under it but this time, it was all empty floor space and people were making good use of it. Kira joined in immediately. :goodvibes

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

We could really just watch this all night long, it's sooooo pretty!

I'm going to end this chapter here due to photo limits on the boards. ::yes::

Last edited:
Yay, the long awaited trip report! I can't believe you are STILL waiting to hear about your lost bag after all these weeks :headache:

After a long absence, I'm sure it was nice to be in familiar, comfortable surroundings :love:

Yeah, I'm starting to forget exactly all that was in that bag :rotfl2:

It was so nice to be on the Wonder again. It will never get old. :love:

Been looking forward to this! can't wait for all your stories and pictures :yay:

Yay, glad you're here :flower:

Whooo hooooo!!! Time for another Cass Trippie and time for me to have to dig out my password for the DIS. :rolleyes1
Hoping that Cruise Bag shows up soon for you.
Looking forward to reading all about your adventures.

Hahaha, well that's one way of getting you back to the DIS. :lmao:

Yay! I really missed your trip reports!

Thanks, glad you're here! :goodvibes

Wo Hoo, I love your reports.

Thanks! I love writing them, helps to relive the experience. :earboy2:

I've never had a bag *that* lost. But when I travel, I am about 50/50 for checked bags getting delayed in some way. I do my best to go carryon only on the way to my destination. If I check something, it's either my return trip or something totally extraneous. Good luck I hope you see it eventually and I also hope you got some sort of compensation (no spoilers needed).

Cant wait to read about the rest of your adventures! Thank you for posting. :)

Oh wow, 50/50??? Yikes! :oops: I've only had my bag lost three times but until this trip, it was always (and thankfully!) on the way home so it didn't really matter much.

It's definitely changed my future trips, that's for sure. I don't like dealing with a large carry-on, I prefer just my little backpack but I have another trip coming up soon and I will definitely be bringing my small carry-on suitcase with stuff I can't live without! ::yes::

Hi Cass! I'm the stalker from your trip reports and the hotel! It was great getting to meet you and your family, and you were my first DIS meet. Sorry to hear about the long lost bag. Hope it shows up soon.

Jenn

Hahahaha, Hi Jenn! It was so funny running into you at the hotel and possibly other places. :rolleyes: You're actually the only person from the FB group that I met. :p

Can’t wait to follow along!

Glad to have you here! :hug:

So nice to see someone from cold 🥶 Calgary enjoying DCL again! It has been so dang cold the whole Christmas break!

Oh my dog! Isn't it the worst here? We missed a lot of it but it's still here! Can't wait for next week! :cold::cold::cold:

I wondered if you had Christmas booked again. I'm along for the ride. :thumbsup2

Glad you're here! I have to make it over to your trippie soon!!!! Looks like I missed the start.

Wow! That’s some Reese’s you got there. Did you guys need a fork and knife to eat it? I’d love to know how many that should serve. Lol!!!! 😂😂😂😂

Back in February, I had a serious and scary health issue. Docs called it Vestibular Labyrinthitis and most people recover from it after a few weeks but I never did. I lost most of my hearing in my left ear and I had horrible vertigo & dizziness for five months. The hearing loss is permanent sadly but docs are hopeful that one day my dizziness may go away. It's all about retraining my brain I guess but it might take a few years. Honestly, for most of the year, I thought I may never be able to do another ride, or cruise or even fly again. I could barely even walk, I was stuck on my couch/bed for months! It was August before I could walk properly, drive and shop like a normal human being again.

In late October, I had a smaller trip to Orlando with my buddy Jen. I spent months debating on whether or not I should even go. I'm so glad I did because I learned that I was okay to do rides (in moderation) and I could even cruise! We went on a shorter cruise with Virgin Voyages and I was fine. I still have some residual dizziness, I sometimes walk into walls (and travel companions LOL!) but otherwise can function quite well, all things considered.

The hearing loss was a struggle, especially at first and I say "what?" a lot but as with everything, you get used to it. I have a hearing aid but honestly, I don't love it so I don't wear it often. When I have it in, I can hear a little better but I also hear background noise and music better and everything sounds very tinny, like it's coming out of a microphone and it mostly just aggravates my tinnitus so I don't wear it a lot. The first place I wore it to publicly was a movie theatre. The guy behind me started eating his popcorn (I loathe listening to people eat!) and I was like, NOPE!!! I'd rather hear regularly from just my right ear than listen to him eat popcorn on a microphone, thanks! :mic:🍿:rotfl2:

When I was going through all of this hearing stuff, Rob decided to get his hearing checked as well since his hearing has gotten a lot worse these past few years. He was a DJ for over 30 years so he has moderate hearing loss in both ears and he ended up getting hearing aids as well. Unlike me, he actually wears them. :rolleyes: His has a restaurant setting which is supposed to help with the background noise but I don't think it actually does LOL!

So happy to see another Cass/Rob/Kira trip report!

Sorry to hear about your hearing loss Cass! I can empathize. I have hearing loss from multiple childhood ear infections which is significantly worse in my left ear. I was coaxed into getting a hearing aid (only one for the worst ear, even though both ears have loss, because they are so expensive!) and I was not a fan. I mostly wore it for other people and not for me. It was exhausting to wear it too, because you brain is processing signals it is not used to and that gets tiring. Well anyway, I lost the damn thing in December. Wearing masks is not conducive to lip reading and it turns out they are not conducive to hearing aids either because you pull at the aid when you are removing the mask elastics from your ears. Near as I can figure, I lost the darn thing outside (which makes sense because that is when I take my mask off) and really, apart from the sunk cost for the aid I don't miss it. I was told they need to be replaced every 5 years or so which peeved me at the time, so my aid was at the end of its life anyway.

I also suffer from mal de debarquement which is a mild vestibular disorder Usually crops up after cruises, but sometimes after long flights too. It's not exactly like vertigo. You are not dizzy, but the ground definitely feels like it's moving. No treatment, you just have to ignore it, but it can last for months. Ironically, once you are in a moving vehicle, it dissipates and sitting still is like being back on the boat LOL.

Oh wow, 50/50??? Yikes! :oops: I've only had my bag lost three times but until this trip, it was always (and thankfully!) on the way home so it didn't really matter much.

It's a small data pool but after the third time of having no fresh clothes, etc. for the first couple days of a trip you kinda just say, nope, no more. LOL When you fly with dogs, you lose your under the seat carry on so that makes things super interesting. We usually split one carryon between the two of us and if we have to check a bag that is split too...so we both at least have a couple days worth of clothing.

About the hearing thing...I am sorry, it sounds like you had a really rough year. Ive had a significant hearing loss all of my life. It might be different for me since Ive learned to compensate but something you said makes me think this might help you too. If a person will say my name, get my attention and wait for me to look at them before he starts talking, I am much more likely to get what was said on the first try. It takes a lot of focus for me to understand what people are saying, its draining and I simply cant be "on" all of the time. So its helpful, at least for the people that know me, to get my attention first before launching into whatever it is they want to say. Helps us all stay a little saner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter