Casita 17 Spirit- Anyone have one?

coastalhh

Mouseketeer
After a long search, lots of research and touring many models, renting etc.. I think we are close to finally putting in a deposit and getting our camper.

Anyone have a Casita? Any pros/cons or testimonials you can share?

There are things we don't like about it (like the carpet in walls) and some not so modern things but we like most everything else about it and everything on our final list has trade offs.

We looked at
Rpod
Jayco Hummingbird
Winnie Drop
Safari Condo Alto (F and R)
Airstream Sports
and hybrid pop ups

I don't know about Casita's, but, have you heard of a Scamp? It is pretty close and maybe it doesn't have the carpet you don't like.

I don't know about Casita's, but, have you heard of a Scamp? It is pretty close and maybe it doesn't have the carpet you don't like.

Yes we have heard of scamp and are looking at them as well. Casita is a bit easier for me to get to (both are sold through the factory and casita is in Texas, I think scamp is in Mn) but we are always looking for used ones we like if we can avoid a factory build all together.

Casita and Scamp both make a version about the same size without a bathroom. That's what we love. You get a couch/bunk bed in place of the bathroom and closet. We only stay in campgrounds and usually use campground facilities so a bathroom takes up space we could better use for sleeping for our kids.

When set up during the day you can have 2 table spaces and a couch. That's a huge amount of living space for a 16/17 ft trailer that's light weight.

So casita or scamp I think would be great for us. Just a matter of finding a good used one without bathroom or going through the waiting period of the factory order.

I have to say, that looking at some pictures, I am also not a big fan of the carpet on the walls, but I suspect it's helpful for noise and insulating.

After a long search, lots of research and touring many models, renting etc.. I think we are close to finally putting in a deposit and getting our camper.

Anyone have a Casita? Any pros/cons or testimonials you can share?

There are things we don't like about it (like the carpet in walls) and some not so modern things but we like most everything else about it and everything on our final list has trade offs.

We looked at
Rpod
Jayco Hummingbird
Winnie Drop
Safari Condo Alto (F and R)
Airstream Sports
and hybrid pop ups

Well, looks like you are definitely looking for small, and no frills!! (except for the Airstream Sport - small, but necessary frills) :)

We do know one couple with a Casita - they are mostly no frills campers, and seem happy with it (but, it does have a bathroom).

Looks like price is no issue, but carpeted walls would be a no-go for us - in fact carpet 'anywhere' in an RV!!

Maybe you don't consider resale - beyond some popups, no one we've ever met RV'ing/camping would want a 'no bathroom' unit in the price ranges you are looking.

We are all different with our 'conditions', 'expectations', 'comfort level' when camping, so hope you find just what you're looking for. You need to be happy with your purchase.
:goodvibes

I had a Liberty model Casita 1999-2008. I traveled thousands of miles in it with my husband and 2 kids and once for 2 weeks with 4 kids and a tent. The big bed holds 4 plus 1 person can sleep on floor with feet under bed. I would NEVER buy one without bathroom. Even if you choose to use the bathhouse, there is nothing better than a toilet during the night, during a rain/snow storm, or while on the road. I got a Spirit in 2008 when I started traveling solo or with grown daughter which I still frequently use.

Carpet is great because it is your insulation and prevents condensation on the walls. Stick build trailers have a tendency to hide water leaks between the outer skin and inner wall of the trailer. BTW the resale value of Casitas is quite high so you may prefer to get a new one and take good care of it so you can resell at a high price if you change your mind. I doubt you'll find a decent condition Casita without a bathroom and I wouldn't want to be trying to sell one without.

Well, looks like you are definitely looking for small, and no frills!! (except for the Airstream Sport - small, but necessary frills) :)

We do know one couple with a Casita - they are mostly no frills campers, and seem happy with it (but, it does have a bathroom).

Looks like price is no issue, but carpeted walls would be a no-go for us - in fact carpet 'anywhere' in an RV!!

Maybe you don't consider resale - beyond some popups, no one we've ever met RV'ing/camping would want a 'no bathroom' unit in the price ranges you are looking.

We are all different with our 'conditions', 'expectations', 'comfort level' when camping, so hope you find just what you're looking for. You need to be happy with your purchase.
:goodvibes

Yea, I guess that is how we are different. We want something more solid then a pop up but have no need for the bathroom amenities. We are in our early 30s with young kids and the couch/bunk bed in place of a bathroom is way more convenient to us. We get 2 tables in this model as well so I can be finishing work on my laptop while the kids play or watch their tablets in the other table. We would probably get a portable small potty to have on hand if the kids have to go in the middle of the night but one of us would just walk if we had to. All of these models also would fit in the garage we are currently building and we couldn't go any higher with our max height for our neighborhood. We dont do long stays of 2 weeks+ we do many short weekends of 1 to 3 nights about 10 times year. We also believe this would last us longer then many other options we would look at, ideally we want something we can keep easily for 10-15 years

I understand!! Just remember, children grow fast in 10 -15 yrs. - bunk beds don't!! :D
Happy camping!

Good Point. Who know how our search will end, but this is the leading candidate right now. and as some of you have pointed out- it might be harder to resell later(without bathroom)- which I am not really caring about now but me 10 years from now may have a bone to pick with me now, if we go through with that model!

Good Point. Who know how our search will end, but this is the leading candidate right now. and as some of you have pointed out- it might be harder to resell later(without bathroom)- which I am not really caring about now but me 10 years from now may have a bone to pick with me now, if we go through with that model!
Okay... here is my 2 cents on the "Resale".

Are you buying it to "Resell" it or are you buying it to "USE" it?

Years ago, I was looking for a small car for commuting. My requirements revolved around fuel economy and that it be a MANUAL transmission. I prefer manual transmission, I enjoy driving a manual transmission and I find a manual transmission much easier to control in bad weather then the automatics even with their fancy traction control functions. Anyway, the salesman tried to talk me out of a Manual Transmission because (yup... you guessed it), it has a "Lower Resale Value". Great... but if I hate the car, I guess it makes it easier to sell sooner.

Anyway, get what you want. Worry about resale later. Unless you are looking to buy it... use it a couple of years and then upgrade.....

By the way, as a child growing up, we went camping every year in a Pop-up with NO amenities (such as electric, water, sewer, gas, heat, etc...) Our bathroom at night was a potty chair too. The worst part about that was in the AM someone had to clean it. :crazy2:

I'm surprised at the RVs I see for sale with no bathroom. They will have a kitchen, but no bathroom. I don't get it. I would rather a bathroom than a kitchen.
You can make sandwiches or grill outside, etc, and you might not even be there for any other meal but breakfast, but most of us use the toilet before bed and maybe even during the night.
#teambathroom

I'm surprised at the RVs I see for sale with no bathroom. They will have a kitchen, but no bathroom. I don't get it. I would rather a bathroom than a kitchen.
You can make sandwiches or grill outside, etc, and you might not even be there for any other meal but breakfast, but most of us use the toilet before bed and maybe even during the night.
#teambathroom
While I agree with you, I guess the best response is "Different Strokes...." I would think of all the amenities, I could have, a bathroom would be higher on the list.

I do love the casita trailers and have always wanted one. We live about 2 hours from the factory so that is a big plus. We are about to sell the motor home and downsize to a small trailer to be pulled by our GMC Acadia. I just recently looked at the RPODS and we love them.they are only about 2 feet longer and 300 lbs heavier than the 17 foot casita. I think that 2 feet gives you a much more usable space. I see them selling for about $16000. Check out the R Pod 178, queen bed, large u dinette, and a small kitchen and bathroom in the middle. My wife and I want the 180 because of the large conventional bathroom.

Do they put the rug on wall and ceilings to help with insulation? That may be a good thing. Personally think they're really cute. If you haven't rv'd before I would rent one or any trailer before you decide to get one without a bathroom or anything else. It's been our experience that lot of times you don't know what you want/need or don't until you actually stay in one.

Do they put the rug on wall and ceilings to help with insulation? That may be a good thing. Personally think they're really cute. If you haven't rv'd before I would rent one or any trailer before you decide to get one without a bathroom or anything else. It's been our experience that lot of times you don't know what you want/need or don't until you actually stay in one.

Yes we have rented multiple times and have experience staying in pop ups, airstream and class c. We also frequent campgrounds with friends and tent camp or cabin/rental unit at campgrounds.

The bathroom is 100% non issue for us. We prefer a campground bathroom to a rv bathroom any day. Maybe we haven't been in nice class or 5th wheel bathrooms but we have no plans for that size.

The casita really fits our needs with muliple sitting areas and multiple sleeping areas built into a small trailer that will last and fit in our garage we are all ready building.

Yes we have rented multiple times and have experience staying in pop ups, airstream and class c. We also frequent campgrounds with friends and tent camp or cabin/rental unit at campgrounds.

The bathroom is 100% non issue for us. We prefer a campground bathroom to a rv bathroom any day. Maybe we haven't been in nice class or 5th wheel bathrooms but we have no plans for that size.

The casita really fits our needs with muliple sitting areas and multiple sleeping areas built into a small trailer that will last and fit in our garage we are all ready building.
Sounds like you know what you are after. Good for you. Unfortunately I have never even heard of the Casita before your post. I did look it up and they do look cute. That whole carpet thing all around though.... That's a tough one. I just foresee things like stains on the ceiling that could be hard (if not impossible) to clean. In a traditional TT, there is often a panel that could be replaced or in a worse case scenario you could "Paint" them (ugh... just shuddering at that thought though). But with the carpet if you can't clean it the only thing you could really do is replace it which looks like it could be a challenge (which also means it could be expensive). I am just picturing grease from cooking, dust from pets and/or campgrounds, and if there is any smokers around. Not to mention smoke that drifts in from the campfire(s) outside.

Anyway though.... I am sure you will have an awesome time with whichever model you go with. Enjoy it and happy camping.

Sounds like you know what you are after. Good for you. Unfortunately I have never even heard of the Casita before your post. I did look it up and they do look cute. That whole carpet thing all around though.... That's a tough one. I just foresee things like stains on the ceiling that could be hard (if not impossible) to clean. In a traditional TT, there is often a panel that could be replaced or in a worse case scenario you could "Paint" them (ugh... just shuddering at that thought though). But with the carpet if you can't clean it the only thing you could really do is replace it which looks like it could be a challenge (which also means it could be expensive). I am just picturing grease from cooking, dust from pets and/or campgrounds, and if there is any smokers around. Not to mention smoke that drifts in from the campfire(s) outside.

Anyway though.... I am sure you will have an awesome time with whichever model you go with. Enjoy it and happy camping.

Yes we know what we like but unfortunately there just isnt a lot to choose from with that criteria. If the Casita didnt have carpet on the walls we would probably already have one. We dont like that either. But its pros (I think) outweight the cons. While we like the sleek look of the Alto Safari Condo R series trailers we arent sure how they were hold up(only 1000 have been made so far and very few sold to the USA(maybe 400) ) another company is introducing a light weight trailer this spring. Hymer- Touring Trailers. They will be very lightweight as well with a more modern look. Not sure if they have a no bathroom model yet but it seems like they will from the concepts and they at least have a very small bathroom. They are starting production this spring so another to keep an eye on.

Still- the durability and layout of the Casita is hard to beat for what we are looking for

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter