Cars Land and Buena Vista St. in DCA open on June 15th - new info added 5-10-12

Wow I love the statue!!
The more I see of Buena Vista Street, the more i love it.

Very resonable question. The only thing close to a land based on a movie is in Disney Hollywood Studios in WDW. It has Pixar Place, with one ride, TSM. Pizza Planet is even in the land, weird huh?

I'd guess Radiator Springs from Cars works because the Cadillac Range as a back drop is the perfect way to block views out of the park.

ummm... Bugs Land is themed after A Bug's Life?!?!

What is wrong with the statue? How would you have done it?

I have not had time to read the blog so it may all be explained there. The idea is the Partners statue in DL shows Walt in a business suit. This represents the time after he became a well established businessman. The DCA Partners statue shows Walt in more casual dress with a suitcase much as he looked when he arrived in LA. Mickey has a suitcase too. I thought it was brilliant for what the Buena Vista street theme and placemaking they are building.

I read the description of the logic and "story" behind the statue, but I still really don't care for it.

I love the Partners statue. I think it's subtle and the concept is elegant. I don't think DCA *needs* a statue, I guess, but if so, I would have left out Jazz Hands Mickey. What was elegant about the first statue seems ham-fisted with this one. We get it...Mickey and Walt. It may have worked better for me if they had gone with an earlier version of the Mickey, maybe?

Not trying to start a debate really, I just saw it and had a pretty strong negative reaction.

The whole idea of the rennovation and BVS is starting to grow on me a bit. I'm not really thrilled that there seem to be several places that look like DHS, but it does seem that BVS is really unique and that helps.

I think the reason they chose Cars Land is that it really does fit with the car image of California and the whole Route 66 concept. Yes, Route 66 is far more than California and many of the sights are really Arizona/Nevada reminders, but it is really more the car culture of California that makes Cars Land a good fit for DCA. As the PP stated, it also fits in with the concept of Bugs Land, which is the neighbor for Cars Land.

Wow I love the statue!!
The more I see of Buena Vista Street, the more i love it.

Ditto that! I hope they have nice renditions to buy. I like it so much I made it my little picture thing :)

I didn't know that the Radiator Springs ride was going to have a waterfall!!!! Getting more excited for this ride to open. Here is a picture of the model I borrowed from another person.

carslandwaterfall.jpg

I didn't know that the Radiator Springs ride was going to have a waterfall!!!!

Having seen some spy shots of the area I wonder if we will see it very much from route 66 or only when on the ride when we "cruise" by it.

Larry the Cable Guy records audio for Mater's Junkyard Jamboree.

When Cars Land opens this summer and you enter Radiator Springs, the first attraction you’ll see is Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree. This attraction is going to be a blast! You’ll hop onto a baby tractor where you’re then pulled around in a series of figure eights to some of Mater’s favorite songs.

I had the pleasure of flying to Omaha, Nebraska, to go behind the scenes for the Disney Parks Blog and shoot a voice-over session with Walt Disney Imagineers and Larry the Cable Guy. He was singing seven original songs for the new attraction. It was an entertaining two days! The famous comedian and voice of “Mater” is a very down-to-earth guy who made the long sessions a lot of fun. And if you’re wondering why we were all in Nebraska, that’s Larry the Cable Guy’s home turf. It’s still show business, but far away from the Hollywood hills. Enjoy!

There is a video in the link that shows the recording session and a little of the operating attraction.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-cars-land-in-omaha-with-larry-the-cable-guy/

See the thread I started here:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=43911809#post43911809

According to Al Lutz in today's MiceAge:

"EDITOR’S NOTE 2/2: The dates for DCA's grand re-opening event have finally been chosen. June 14th will be the media day and private celebrity party, and June 15th will be the official first day of operation for customers. There will only be a handful of days for AP Previews and soft openings for Cars Land in early June, and those dates aren't confirmed yet. June 15th will also kick off DCA's new operating schedule of daily 8AM to 11PM hours through the summer. - Al Lutz"

Any word on how long the radiator springs track will be? I was wondering in relation to Test Track in Epcot? Will it be that long of a ride?

Any word on how long the radiator springs track will be? I was wondering in relation to Test Track in Epcot? Will it be that long of a ride?
TT reaches speeds of over 60 mph. RSR will top out at 40 mph. So I am not sure track length means very much as opposed to say how long the ride lasts. And I have not heard anything on that yet.

:wizard:

TT reaches speeds of over 60 mph. RSR will top out at 40 mph. So I am not sure track length means very much as opposed to say how long the ride lasts. And I have not heard anything on that yet.

:wizard:

A while back WDI(Walt Disney Imagineering) shared a video of the ride through with students. Someone filmed it and posted it, violating the agreement under which is was shown) The video stayed up for less than 24 hours.

***SPOILER***
If you really want to know, highlight the text between the stars. Please DO NOT COPY THIS INTO ANOTHER POST, without deleting the spoiler information.

**** RSR will peak at 40 mph briefly, most of the ride is quiet slow, only about 30 seconds is fast. The full ride time is right around 4 minutes without the load and unload time. ****

If you are interested in more details, of what I saw in the video, please send me a PM with questions, I don't want to state things that are not officially released to the public in this thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter