Carry on question/medical

alwatlers

Parrothead till I die
My Ds uses a cpap machine at night to help him sleep since he has sleep apnea. I have already talked to Disney and they sent me a medical form to get filled out by his doctor so we can use it on board. They even said they could try and get him a small side table to put it on. We are booked in cat 5 so I know we could use the coffee table if disney couldn't get another smaller table. My question is: I know you can only carry on 1 bag per person and my kids each will have a back pack and my husband and I will each be using a carry-on. The machine actually comes in a back pack so do you think they will count that towards the number of bags? I don't want to check it through since we have to have it. Don't want it getting broken or lost.

You should be OK for carrying it on the ship, rather than having it delivered to your room. I think DCL states any medicines or medical equipment should be carried on with you. hope this helps.

Disney won't give you a hard time. If you're willing to carry it, they don't care. But the airlines can be more strict. If you're flying, I'd call your airline, explain the situtation and see what they recommend. Given that it's medically necessary and you have a doctors note, they should make an exception.

Good Luck!

Disiney will actually allow as many carry ons as anyone wants to carry. Especially in the instance of medical supplies, they won't say a word...they might even offer to help you with it!

Do have the doc fill out the medical form. This enables them to know how to best help set up the room for you. There is a small coffee table on each side of the big bed, but they might be able to arrange something that will work better for you.

I regularly travel with a CPAP and have for more than 6 years. Medical equipment does not generally count as a carry on--no doctor's note is necessary as either the airline counts medical equipment or they don't. The screeners and the crews have seen enough CPAP's (or at least someone has that can assure other crew members). The bigger issue on board is the issue of an extension courd rather than a table. I have always set my CPAP on the floor and did so on the last cruise we took. If it was shag carpeting there might be an issue, but it is not. Also, the CPAP needs to stay at a level BELOW your face/mouth, and I'm not sure given the low beds that they would be the case with the end tables. In addition, I wouldn't want an extra piece of furniture in most of the staterooms as they are pretty tight anyway.

Originally posted by Doctor P
I regularly travel with a CPAP and have for more than 6 years. Medical equipment does not generally count as a carry on--no doctor's note is necessary as either the airline counts medical equipment or they don't. The screeners and the crews have seen enough CPAP's (or at least someone has that can assure other crew members). The bigger issue on board is the issue of an extension courd rather than a table. I have always set my CPAP on the floor and did so on the last cruise we took. If it was shag carpeting there might be an issue, but it is not. Also, the CPAP needs to stay at a level BELOW your face/mouth, and I'm not sure given the low beds that they would be the case with the end tables. In addition, I wouldn't want an extra piece of furniture in most of the staterooms as they are pretty tight anyway.

Thanks for this info, Doctor P. My DH and I both have CPAP machines (although I just got mine and haven't used it yet!), so most likely we will be traveling with 2 of these this summer.

Another medical question for anyone:
DS16 has mild asthma. It's been over a year since he's needed to use his nebulizer (he doesn't use inhalers at all), but when he needs it, HE NEEDS IT, if that makes sense. I'm wondering if we should bring the nebulizer on the cruise with us or not. I'm sure the medical facilities onboard will have them. Has anyone had to use a nebulizer onboard?? How much did they charge you? We are purchasing travel insurance, which I'm sure would cover this, but I'm wondering if we're better off just bringing our own with us. We'll be flying down, so this would be an extra piece of equipment we'd have to deal with. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Originally posted by SeaSpray
Thanks for this info, Doctor P. My DH and I both have CPAP machines (although I just got mine and haven't used it yet!), so most likely we will be traveling with 2 of these this summer.

Another medical question for anyone:
DS16 has mild asthma. It's been over a year since he's needed to use his nebulizer (he doesn't use inhalers at all), but when he needs it, HE NEEDS IT, if that makes sense. I'm wondering if we should bring the nebulizer on the cruise with us or not. I'm sure the medical facilities onboard will have them. Has anyone had to use a nebulizer onboard?? How much did they charge you? We are purchasing travel insurance, which I'm sure would cover this, but I'm wondering if we're better off just bringing our own with us. We'll be flying down, so this would be an extra piece of equipment we'd have to deal with. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

My Ds also has asthma( poor kid apnea & asthma)and uses a nebulizer, he is only 7. I have taken his in the past. When he was almost 3 we went on a Carnival cruise, and he was showing symptoms.(cough, mild wheezing) luckily we took it because by the next day he was in a full blown asthma attack in the pittsburgh airport. Planes were delayed because of a recent Hurricane had hit the east coast. So we were able to treat him in the airport. But had trouble getting his prednisone in Puerto Rico. Now he only has asthma problem when his colds go into his chest. He is starting to grow out of this. But if your son's nebulizer is small and has a bag to carry in I would bring it along if he is prone to attacks. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the help with the cpap questions. I was more worried with the airlines. The doctor did say to try and keep it level with the bed. I'm sure I'll figure something out.

I would check with your Dr. again about keeping it level with the bed. If you use a "wet" humidifier, they definitely want the CPAP at a lower level so that in case there is a malfunction there is no chance of water entering the tubing and drowning or gagging you. In addition, gravity will expell your CO2 easier if the CPAP tubing slopes downward to the machine. But your doctor may give different advice. I would check.

I believe my MIL uses one of these and she will be joining us on our cruise. Does she need to fill out a medical form with DCL? Thanks for the help.

LeiLani

I don't know if you are SUPPOSED to, but I surely didn't.

My dh uses a cpap and we have never had to fill out any forms. We had to ask on our first cruise with it for an extension cord, but after that time we carry one with us. His machine goes with us on the plane most of the time. It does NOT count as one of your official allowed carry-ons......it is a piece of "durable medical equipment", that is officially excluded from your allowed total.

I was just on the Wonder on Feb 1st and I use a Cpap machine. I carried it on the ship with no problem. The only thing that you may want to keep in mind is that there are no outlets that are close to the beds......so I would advise bringing an extension cord along at a length of at least 12' to 15' so that it can lay on the floor fine and lessen the chance of tripping over it. Hope that helps a little:wave:

I have another question. I talked to MIL and she said her machine uses distilled water. Does anyone else have a machine like this and what did you do about the water? She is trying to avoid having to carry it on the plane. We could probably get it once we get to Orlando, but was just curious if anyone else had to deal with this.

Thanks,
LeiLani

I have a humidifier that uses distilled water, but when I travel I don't generally bring it. I would get water at a convenience store near the port or get it Orlando after you arrive.

seaspray, do take the nebulizer. my daughter has asthma and it was pretty much under control until we went to castaway cay, this was in july, and because it was so hot there she had a very bad attack and to think i wasn,t going to bring the neb on that trip., we would have been in a lot of trouble if i hadn't decided at the last minute to pack it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!